• This topic has 7,709 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by temudgin.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,081 through 4,120 (of 7,710 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • root-n-5th
    Free Member

@turboferret

Thanks for asking. I did run and it was a beautiful morning and a good trip to a new parkrun, the first one outside Nonsuch. In a large field of about 250 I started quite near the front after a too short warm up, and we went off pretty fast, probably too fast for me. I pegged it back a bit and tried to hold the pace, dipped at 3km but picked it up again to the end. Course knowledge is a great asset I now know, as I started the dash for home thinking I was almost there, but had to run another 200m after doubling back. Held on to the end with a 20:27 on my watch, officially 20:29 so a Pb by 5 seconds. Not what I was hoping for but I found it quite tough on the monotonous flat pavement and think I prefer the variety of an XC style run. Also, it was measured at 5.01km whereas Nonsuch always comes out at about 4.9km. My pace was 5 seconds a km faster. An improvement.

It’s going to be a tough nut to crack this sub 20:00 but I’m determined to do it.

stever
    Free Member

Quality work @alanf – that’s our race so hope you had a good day!
    I was taking pics on the finish line and was struck by how many top finishers were in magic shoes. I was discussing with my clubmates if we should adjust the results algorithm to add 4% for Nike wearers. I think winner Moh was in Reeboks so it’s quite possible you were 2nd in the New Results 🙂

alanf
    Free Member

@stever – great day thanks. The organisation and running of the race was spot on. The only thing that might have been detrimental was the fog and ice but out on the course it wasn’t a problem at all. I was number 132 if you’ve got any pics of me finishing? Think I came in 26th. I was in the middle of a see of pink shoes with a smattering of green ones. I did pass someone towards the end wearing Brooks, which seemed like a novelty. A great event though – thanks to all the people/volunteers who made it a great race and a great day

stever
    Free Member

Magic thanks – yes, 26th in a pretty sharp field! Think I missed you changing memory cards, doh, but Mick Hall has a couple if you plug your number in. https://mickhall.zenfolio.com/f27032652

alanf
    Free Member

Spot on, cheers @stever
    I look as bad as it felt 🙂

root-n-5th
    Free Member
    dashed
    Free Member

@root – good effort. I’ve also decided 2020 is the year of my sub-20 parkrun. I know I need to put a lot of effort in. I’m currently sitting at about 22mins but haven’t had a chance to get to a PR for weeks – Saturday’s always busy this time of year.
    Plan is steady increase in mileage, plenty of hills and some track / speed sessions. I reckon sub-21 is reasonably easy for me to get to but finding the next 60 seconds is going to be horrible 😉

turboferret

@root-n-5th

Glad to hear you had a go! Varied terrain certainly suits different people, and it sounds like you’ve mainly been racing on undulating soft surfaces. If there is a discrepancy in the distances, then 100m would equate to 24 seconds at 4m/km, so it sounds like you’re making progress 🙂

lovewookie

my beginners start is kinda going OK. After going at it a bit much on my first run of the c2-5k, my legs had recovered after about a week (!)
    second run of the first ‘week’ went better, no aches, steady pace, reduce expectations….
    Third run attempted 2 days after that. Started slightly differently, more leg lifting than the second run, but still an almost slow motion type technique. Halfway in I felt actually quite good. My running reminded me of how I used to run when I was competing in school, steady, paced breath, think I’ve got my style sorted.
    I was a bit concerned that this meant I was going a bit hard at it, but only a slight leg ache today.

roll on ‘week 2’..commencing tomorrow…I think…

ta11pau1

I’ve just completed week 5 of C25K, run 3 is the (infamous) 20 minute non-stop run.

2.35miles / 3.78km
    20:01 moving time
    8:31 /mile / 5:16 /km

(I’m not including the warm up/down walks)

Really happy with that, obviously I had some pre-existing fitness from mountain biking but it’s been getting tougher the last couple of weeks.

I’m trying to aim for a 25 minute 5k by the end, not far off the 5:00 /km or 8:00 /mile pace required for this.

bob_summers

Well done on the C25K progress Wookie and Paul. Don’t think I run much faster than that after a year at it!

Looking at stuff to do this year. Pre inscriptions done for Zegama Aizkorri, and Gorbeia Suzien. Don’t expect to make the cut for either, but had to be done. If not, I’ll need some sort of local objective. I did a local trail mara last year I would probably enjoy more now with more miles in the legs.

Otherwise, couple of fell races might coincide with visits back to UK. High Cup Nick and Newlands Memorial. Fancy doing a classic in Summer, Wasdale or Borrowdale maybe. Bottled Borrowdale last year in favour of Rydal for my first fell race, probably wisely.

I’d also like to have a crack at a road 10k soon…

mogrim

Pre inscriptions done for Zegama Aizkorri

Likewise, and I can’t see me getting in either! Well done @lovewookie & @ta11pau1, seems like you’re making good progress. My progress however is going backwards, I came down with flu last Friday and haven’t done anything since 🙁

will
    Free Member

Running Shoe Help – Decathlon/Kalenji Run Active.
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/run-active-shoes-id_8555832.html

Any experience?

Currently looking for a general road shoe, and not to keen to spend £60/£70, so these look ideal! Going to try a pair on tonight. Reviews on line look great.

lunge

@will, they’ll be fine for short runs and getting in to it.
    These are still under £50 and are a good step up.
    Bear in mind, Decathlon shoes are a touch narrow so make sure you try them on.

bob_summers

@will, I bought them on @turboferret ˋs recommendation. I use them mainly for my backroad commute 10km e.w. Didnˋt really want to spend more given the state of the roads – theyˋve been grand

andeh

I started running again recently (start short/slow/build up etc) with the idea of eventually doing some fell races. My current trainers are old and have holes, is it worth getting a gait analysis thing or should I just get something comfy? There’s an overwhelming amount of choice for a Jerry like me.

lunge

There’s an overwhelming amount of choice for a Jerry like me.

I’ve said this before on the thread, but I had this discussion with a running physio that I use. His view was that generally, the comfiest shoe you try on the best best shoe for you. There are exceptions, but this method of choice works well for the vast majority of people.
    He also said that if in doubt, buy a good, mid-range, neutral shoe like a Nike Pegasus (his preferred option), Asics Cumulus or Brooks Ghost. You won’t go far wrong that way.

andeh

See, that’s the sort of straight forward advice I was after, thanks.

mogrim

See, that’s the sort of straight forward advice I was after, thanks.

You’ll probably want some different shoes for fell racing, though – Nike Pegasus + wet grass/mud is not a good combination 🙂

bob_summers

Most Inov-8 fit me perfectly but the uppers disintegrate, YMMV. I keep a pair of Roclite 290s at my dad’s, they have a 5mm stud which is just enough on wet fellside but will stand up to a few road KMs without them wearing down.
    The Kalenji TR trail shoes don’t fit quite so well, they move around more on the forefoot which gives me blisters on my big toes, but have lasted loads longer than the Inov 8s.

andeh

You’ll probably want some different shoes for fell racing, though – Nike Pegasus + wet grass/mud is not a good combination 🙂

Yeah, I’ve got some Speedcross 4s for off road stuff, just could do with replacing the on-road/track ones.

will
    Free Member

@lunge @bob_summers. Thanks. Think for £22 i’ll go for it. I’ll update the thread after a few miles/initial thoughts.

Annoyingly I just bought some Reebok Floatrides for less than £30 in a sale, however after around 10 miles they were rubbing quite a bit on my heel, and I now have a blister, so they’re no good for me.

lunge

Anyone going to the National Running show at the NEC this weekend?

bob_summers

One of the draws of running for me was the lack of GAS (potentially) involved. OK, in the end it wasn’t quite as simple as buying a club vest and rotating two pairs of Walshes (to my shame I bought a “hydration belt”) but I’m keeping it to a minimum. It’s been quite the relief after, for eg., spending eighty quid on a tubular to stick on wheels that cost three times as much as my car.
    So no running shows, gait analysis, treadmills, gels, poles… I can manage to run slowly and grumpily quite well without any of that.
    My one luxury if you can call it that, is a monthly physio appointment!

will
    Free Member

Well, as with most Decathlon trips I ended up with much more than I needed.

Tried the Kalenji Run Actives, and whilst they seemed to fit well, the felt quite hard, so I tried a few other pairs, and in the end went for the Kelenji Run Comfort, felt much more comfortable, supportive, and “springy” So not the original £22, but £35. Did also of course buy a pair of Kalenji Kiprun Ultralight (for £40) for racing… and some socks, a T shirt, 2 inner tubes.

lunge

Textbook Decathlon behaviour @will, excellent work.

will
    Free Member

I mean I was never only spending £22 was I.

mogrim

@will it was never going to happen, no 😀

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Wookie and Paul – good stuff, stick with it and it will get better. It was constant pain for me at the start but after a few months it feels better, although…

A bit of track action last night – timed pyramid session 7 to 2 minutes with 2 minutes recovery. Trying to run at faster-than-5k pace ( around 4:00/km but think I was a bit slower) and it was ok.

The good thing about track is that the faster guys are on the same bit of rubber, so when two of the quicker guys lapped me on my 4 minute interval, I tagged on the back of them and tried to hang on until the hooter. Must have been running at 3:40/km and I managed a lap and a half until the hooter and was pretty dead, but after a bit of recovery picked it up again for a final 1 minute push. I wouldn’t have pushed myself that fast if I was on my own, but having those guys to try to keep hold of gave me an incentive. I know what sort speed I have to go to break 19 minutes in the parkrun now! Ha ha, steady on there.

Hip extender things hurt like hell today and I got a bad case of ITB anterior knee pain when running last night and walking this morning. The joys.

I’ve volunteered to do bar code scanning at parkrun tomorrow and they said I could run as long as I get around in under 21 minutes. Hope the knee holds up!

highlandman
    Free Member

For anyone around Glasgow and the west or central Scotland this weekend who might be even slightly ‘ultra curious’, there’s a training and social event on at the Oak Tree Inn, Balmaha.
    We’ll have a good spread of folk out running northwards and back from 10.00 on Saturday, some going as far as Inversnaid before turning back again. Experienced West Highland Way folk will be there, along with demo trail shoes from Altra for anyone to try. It’s a friendly and welcoming community.

will
    Free Member

Sounds interesting.

It is however Devils Burdens on Saturday. We (Westerlands CC) have around 9 teams I think. Should be a great day. Anybody else doing it?

lunge

Every now and then you feel truly humbled. Today at parkrun ex-GB triathlete Jodie Stimpson showed up. Had a chat with her at the start, injured, just going to have a gentle run around. Cue a 17 minute 5k and what would have been a course record if she’d had her barcode scanned.
    I’ve never seen a runner make it look so easy.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

It’s great seeing how good the professionals are. Impressive performance. She’s still very young in my book though!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ran crathes park run this morning.

23:23 . A minute and 10 quicker than previous……

23:23 seems slow for a 5k park run but crathes is an all trail hilly park run so slow. 23:23 was 14th home.

Then I went swimming/floating about with jnr.

Had some halloumi and eggs for lunch at a local cafe then ran 20k home.

Not sure it makes me feel any better about fetteresso …..

root-n-5th
    Free Member

@trail_rat.

Very similar to my day, apart the 20k run home. Parkrun on the morn, eggs at home, swimming with the nipper. Then a nice kip! Not a bad day.

Weird thing this morning as I was expecting my knee to flare up half way through the parkrun, but not a niggle, not the slightest twinge. But of massage yesterday, 12 hours rest, 2.2km warm up and all’s well in the lower bendy bit. Happy I am. Managed a 20:49 but I wasn’t really feeling 100% due to Thursday track, etc. I’ll take it.

Hope everyone on here had an equally pleasant day.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not sure it makes me feel any better about fetteresso …..

Aye, ditto. I’m doing the falkirk 8hr thing at Callendar park next Sunday, as many 3.8 mile laps as ye can in the time alloted.

I’m pretty much winging it, and calling it an early year training run. 🤣

bob_summers

Anyone doing High Cup Nick? I’m in UK that weekend, so put an entry in and I’m 75th on the waiting list, bah.

ta11pau1

Week 6 run 2 done, that’s it now for walk rests between runs, it’s 25 minute solid runs and longer from now on!

2.58 miles / 4.15 km
    22.44 moving time
    8:48 /mile / 5:28 /km average pace

lunge

Great work ta11pau1, good pace too.

Having a clearout of my shoe cupboard which resulted in the below pic. How many running shoes is too many?

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Good progress ta11pau1 and very colourful, lunge.

Club 800m session tonight, feeling fine, keeping pace with the faster guys then, bang, felt like cack. Jelly legs, dizzy, difficulty breathing, just ground to halt and had to stop – a proper mechanical breakdown. Quite shocked really but have been fighting a cold and the air was very bitter. Frustrated.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,081 through 4,120 (of 7,710 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.