• This topic has 7,712 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 1 hour ago by lunge.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,121 through 4,160 (of 7,713 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • bob_summers

Ankle sprain recovery tips anyone?

Rolled it this morning, luckily just a 45m limp from home. Didn’t have time to do anything but strap ‘er up and go to work. Can’t put weight on it, nicely swollen. Knew it would happen eventually – next step from here? Looking at rehab exercises (ironically was reading up on them this morning after Ricky Lightfoot retweeted some…) – how long do I need to rest it before starting?

jam-bo

I did mine on 26th December. Haven’t run yet, still aching a bit.

bob_summers

bugger

MrSparkle

Sorry to hear that Bob. Something I am very prone to.

Was anyone else dot watching Damo Hall on record breaking winter Paddy Buckley Round? https://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/2020/01/damian_hall_breaks_winter_paddy_buckley_record-72187

ta11pau1

Week 6 run 3 today, the first solid 25 minute run with no breaks.

I changed my route so it was almost completely flat, basically starting close to where my normal run mid point is. I went out with a target in my head too…

3:05 miles / 4:92 km
    24:58 moving time / 25:00 elapsed time
    8:10 /mile / 5:04 /km average pace

Sooooo close! 😣

Really felt that though, and it’s not a practical run to do in my 40 minute after work session as it means a 15 minute walk either side which turns a 30-35 minute run into over an hour. Back to my normal hilly run next week, I’ll concentrate on doing the 25 minutes with stamina to spare.

chakaping
    Free Member

I am by no means an expert, but that seems quite fast to be going on a couch to 5k programme Paul.

ta11pau1

Yeah it is, however I’m probably not the exact target group for the C25k, already having a decent level of fitness from mtb and gravel riding.

It’s not as if it’s waaay faster than my other runs leading up to todays run either:

Week 5:
    2.22miles / 3.58km
    21:08 time
    9:30 /mile / 5.54 /km

2.26 miles / 3.46km
    20:23 moving time
    9:00 /mile / 5:36 /km average pace

2.35miles / 3.78km
    20:01 moving time
    8:31 /mile / 5:16 /km

Week 6:
    2.59 miles / 4.17km
    23:42 moving time
    9:09 /mile / 5:41 /km average pace

2.58 miles / 4.15 km
    22.44 moving time
    8:48 /mile / 5:28 /km average pace

3:05 miles / 4:92 km
    24:58 moving time / 25:00 elapsed time
    8:10 /mile / 5:04 /km average pace

Only the 2 last runs of the week were solid runs with no walking periods, the other 3 runs had a few minutes walking in them which will bring down the average pace.

I fancied pushing myself a little today, knowing that I’ll have at least 2 days rest, and that I’ll be back to my normal, slower runs with more elevation for week 7. I said a while ago that I want to aim for a 25 min 5k by the end.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You’ll nail 25 mins no probs, well done, you’ll know if you’re going too hard. 👌🏻

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Sub 25 is quick, that’ll put you comfortably in the front third at any Parkrun. Plenty of people who’ve been running for years can’t get under 25 mins. Sounds like you’re well and truly off the couch.
    How old are you Paul, if you don’t mind me asking.

ta11pau1

I’m 38, also 6ft 3in and 12st 10lbs.

I know not to go too fast all the time so will slow it down from now on, just fancied pushing myself a little for this run.

trail_rat
    Free Member

There be no running this week.

Jnr Ill and by proxy so am I .

Bugger. Was hoping for some 5ks this week and a longer one again this weekend. Pretty much my last chance for a long run

Spin
    Free Member

Yorkshire 3 Peaks entry opened today. Got mine in. Anyone else? It’s a fantastic event.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Falkirk 8 hour ultra tomoro, 3.8 mile laps, as many as you can.

Weather is horrible, Callendar park is half flooded.

Oh joy.

surfer
    Free Member

My nephew ran 20:02 at his local Parkrun last week……….. He is 10…..

Proud

bob_summers

Make me feel better – tell me if I sprained my ankle last week, I’ve still got a chance of being fit for a fell race at easter…
    Hoping to start some light propioception exercises after resting up all weekend. Physio Wednesday, hoping to get cleared to start riding. Seems like a common or garden sprain, no worse than I’ve done before but I wasn´t running then..

bob_summers

@surfer – whaaaaat??? Now I really do feel crap!

surfer
    Free Member

Really proud of him, He finished 2nd this morning in the county schools xc champs (Hertfordshire)

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Looks like a new female parkrun record in Cardiff. Charlotte Arter, 15:49, and 93.5%!!!

She finished 8th but is the real winner.

mogrim

tell me if I sprained my ankle last week, I’ve still got a chance of being fit for a fell race at easter…

You’ll be fine – does that help? 🙂

Big training weekend – did 38km yesterday with three mates, up and down and up and down a local mountain. Thanks to the recent snow and rain it was stunning out there, albeit a bit damp underfoot. Then did a nice 80km spin on the road bike today with another mate, and I felt considerably better than expected. It seems like the weekly weights session is really paying off – I felt a lot stronger on the downhills yesterday than I did just a few weeks back, and today confirmed it.

felltop

First race for a long while yesterday. 10 mile trail race in the forest above Glenbrittle. Nice course, and a really friendly event. Inverness Half Marathon in 5 weeks time.

lunge

It’s a strange thing to say but you never really know if the training you’ve been doing is working until you race. I’ve been upping the mileage and really pushing things this year and it’s always a question if it’s working.

Today was the 2nd race of the year (not counting parkrun). A lovely 10 miler across some of the nastiest mud and sharpest hills my area has to offer. And, for me at least, I smashed it in 1:18 which is a big PB. What was really pleasing was that I felt I got stronger the the miles went on, as everyone faded in the last 3 miles I was able to increase the pace.

Now feeling very good about myself as I sit back with a pint.

Lovely.

trail_rat
    Free Member

How did you get on nobeer.

I cannot fathom running laps like that for an ultra. Even if I do it in 24hr MTB races.

Was reading the adahrabar (so) Finn’s book the bit about the dude who organises 24hours of track laps for some spiritual thing. Sounded like hell on earth…. The transcendance 24 I think .

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It was tough, **** freezing, and muddier than the Somme.

Got to 8 laps at about 6hrs 45, couldn’t be arsed doing any more, I’d had enough.

Enjoyed it in parts though, was awesome running the first and last laps with my good lady, she managed 7 laps, 27.5 miles, brilliant effort!.

I think I’m gonna can the ultras this year, and focus on hill races.

The loops thing worked alright Terry, means lots of banter, you get to see everyone regularly, not like a point to point where you only see the fasties at the start.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tendonitis after silly over training = 3 weeks off here, glad I didn’t book all the long events I’d been thinking of!

Also glad it’s nothing like a rolled ankle 😬

mogrim

Must be time to ask a friendly mod to rename the thread! Perhaps someone could report my post?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good shout Mogrim, done.

turboferret

First run in a couple of weeks after switching to the bike for commuting. Felt OK but I’m now sat at my desk with sore hips 🙁

Actually going to have that X-ray this afternoon, especially as a friend has just been diagnosed with a fractured hip after having issues running for months.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thanks Mods!

hooja
    Free Member

This is going to sound like a humble brag, or even just a plain old brag but I promise it’s not, I just need to state distances to ask my question in context…
    Am I weird, or are there others that don’t think there’s anything in unplanned, long solo runs?
    I lost my mojo for ultras and training last year, for one reason or another and decided I probably wasn’t going to race any this year either. I have however got my mojo back ( probably why)
    I popped out last minute at the weekend and did 31 miles and 6000ft of ascent. No real plan, only thought I’d do 20 odd but was enjoying myself so carried on.
    Got back and thought, that’s much better than planning races, training etc etc, so had a google to see how common it is, seems not!!
    I’m happy with some big distances without the stress this year so hey ho,just wondered if anyone here turned their back on events but kept up the distances and increased the love?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I think you will find quite a lot of like minded souls, but the nature of those people being that they enjoy the solo element of it, you might not find much online evidence of it?.

If I had the time, I’d love to get out solo on the hills and explore places that I wouldn’t necessarily either walk with my wife, or run with mates.

hooja
    Free Member

I’ve always liked solo runs in wild places but this last weekend has definitely made me think, why bother with races at all.
    The spontaneity, lack of pressure and freedom, whilst also getting in big miles, was just ace!

bob_summers

I would happily not bother with trail races tbh and just plod round the local hills (current injury notwithstanding), but there’s something quite magic about a low-key British fell or hill race IMO. Iˋve only done a handful but coming from racing road bikes in Spain it was just so refreshing.

will
    Free Member

@bob_summers
    Sorry to say that from an ankle sprain end of June in took me about 4 months to feel 100% again, especially off road, and even now I’m more careful. I did my first run about a month after injury, and gradually upped mileage, but ankle was pretty weak after and twisted it another 3 times on separate runs.

@spin

Yes, looking forward to that! Especially having done the bike one too.

Jura fell race entries out, and I’m in
    Can’t wait.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You racing carnethy 5 will?

Strangely, my ankle is all swollen on the outside after yesterday’s ultra, I never went over on it though….

Weird.

bob_summers

How soon after injury do you start rehab, band exercises, massage etc?
    Rested the weekend, as the livid bruising and much of the swelling has gone down I’ve done a couple of bike rides. Can walk on it, gingerly.

mogrim

Am I weird, or are there others that don’t think there’s anything in unplanned, long solo runs?

I have to admit I’m wary of heading up a mountain in winter on my own, it would be very easy to get into trouble, and very quickly. It does help that I’ve got a decent group of mates that are also usually up for a long run – the planning is very informal and usually worked out over WhatsApp the night before.

ChrisHeath

how long do I need to rest it before starting

I did mine last March, badly enough that after the loud crack my first worry was that I’d broken it. Not great when you’re supposed to be carrying your Dad into the crematorium a week or so later…

Anyway, I was back on my bike after a couple of weeks (although unclipping was very sore). Back running (carefully) after 8.

bob_summers

Oof. Rotten timing, even though the timing is never good.

Anyway, I was back on my bike after a couple of weeks (although unclipping was very sore). Back running (carefully) after 8.

Well I did mine Thursday, and have done a couple of 2h pain-free MTB rides already so *maybe* itˋs fairly light. Unclipping really does hurt though and I took a couple of falls into the undergrowth. Waiting to get in to the physio to get the full skinny.

So, having said that, I find myself tempted by doing an ultra this year – specifically the Hiru Haundiak (100km/5100m/24h, October – google it if interested although their website is shite).

Seems madness, given Iˋm at least a couple of months off being able to run at all, having only ever done a 40km up til now.

Anyone recommend any reading to help me make a decision? Pre-reg opens later this month so Iˋve got time to porperly mull it over.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have to admit I’m wary of heading up a mountain in winter on my own, it would be very easy to get into trouble, and very quickly

I mostly run on unlit roads at night – albe it in bright colours and with a bright head torch. – because thats whats local.

Strangely i feel safer in the hills – albe it not Spanish?? mountains – things like the cairngorm loop and some of the longer through the night audaxes I’ve done probably represents a higher risk factor – assuming your carrying the right kit.

At least there its my stupidity that will get me hurt /killed – not the driver who was looking at his/her phone.

i did give my self a shake when i was running round Clachnaben in november at night wearing a vest / shorts and a headtorch – opting not to run up to the summit when i saw MRT were around and the SAR bird was up. A the wake up i was doing something silly being when i said i hope i don’t meet them as they will have words being the point when i decided yes I’m going to go back to the car

Spin
    Free Member

@will I’m in Jura too so I better get my finger out!

Viewing 40 posts - 4,121 through 4,160 (of 7,713 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.