Viewing 40 posts - 4,041 through 4,080 (of 7,708 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • root-n-5th
    Free Member

Looks like the Vaporfly shoes might be banned anyway – unfair advantage. Silly move as they will go straight to number 1 and all the kids will be wanting them.

Aren’t shoes an unfair advantage over hobbling around in bare feet?

mogrim

What’s unfair about them (compared to other shoes)? Or are we talking about the ones with the carbon thing in them?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don’t be starting arguments Root! this is one of the few positive threads on here. 🙂

Started back with the first 5k lunch run of 2020 today, lovely day for it, windy, muddy, but dry and sunny. Happy days.

lunge

What’s unfair about them (compared to other shoes)? Or are we talking about the ones with the carbon thing in them?

The carbon plat in them offers some propulsion as a spring which could be argued as being illegal. There’s also thoughts on the stack height.
    I think they’ll allow the current version but try to stop it there to allow others to catch-up.

mogrim

I’m pretty sure there are different models of Vaporfly, not just the carbon plate ones.

Edit: I’m wrong 🙂

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Wouldn’t dream of starting an argument!

Yes the one’s with the carbon spring in the sole. All good fun.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Good news TF. Best to take up the offer of an xray though.

Sorry but I *think* the Nike website has 20% of code somewhere. JAN20 possibly? Tempting..

surfer
    Free Member

Interesting to see how this develops and I suspect it is not the off the shelf shoes but some with additional mods that are being considered.

Other shoes have a similar carbon plate and stack height such as the “Hoka Carbon” which have been around for ages and I have a pair (they are actually unworn as I bought them a while ago hoping to race in them if I ever get fit again) stiff soles are very helpfull for me as I have arthritis in one large toe joint…

lunge

Interesting to see how this develops and I suspect it is not the off the shelf shoes but some with additional mods that are being considered.

Agree with that, the AlphaFly that Kipchoge ran sub-2 in were apparently full of carbon springs and other oddities, I suspect they may be trying to stop that.

Keva
    Free Member

@surfer.. how are you getting on with that lower back pain? I remember your thread a while ago. Was it tight/knotted gluteus medius as I suggested? I’m certain that has been the cause of my pain for the last few months which is now subsiding thankfully. I’ve been rolling the area with a large foam roller twice a day and using a myofascial release ball on it three times a day plus stretching and generally keeping the area moving about as much as possible.

Looking forward to my 4mile xc run home from work in an hour – I started last week, now running three times a week again for the first time in ages.

surfer
    Free Member

@Keva

Much better thanks. Managed a couple of 20+ mile weeks and did a Parkrun in 24:04…. 2 weeks later 22:45 so looking to use them as hard runs and see how much under 20 mins I can get….. still a niggle but doesnt seem to get much worse with the runs but my fitness is unbelievably bad.. I did find that “bridge” ecercises helped a lot.
    Good luck with your comeback 🙂

dashed
    Free Member

Just back from my first run in the hills in about 2 months – muddy, cold and rather good fun!

dovebiker

Interested to see whether the IAAF or whoever ban carbon plates in running shoes at it was the same argument that was tried to ban disabled runners with blades from running against able-bodied?

chakaping
    Free Member

If I may be allowed to drag the conversation downstairs again, what are you gentlemen using for undies?

I have previously worn running shorts with integrated liner, but now need some separate synthetic undies to go with some other garments.

Are the £4 ones from Decathlon decent enough?

root-n-5th
    Free Member

I personally think that the inserts in shoes should be steel, quick release and 26”. Sorted. Carbon is the work of the devil I tell you.

I got a pack of 3 “compression” under shorts that are a bit like thin cycling shorts. Quite cheap from amazon, wasn’t expecting much but I find them, well it’s hard to describe, but I just don’t notice them at all. Keeps the bits in place but don’t squeeze too much. Medium was compression, but I went large for a gentle caress.

chakaping
    Free Member

Will have a look, ta.

I don’t mind the bits swinging about, it’s the thigh chaffage that’s the problem.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

I suppose a link would help:

Niksa Mens Compression Shorts Base Layer Tights 3 Pack,Sport Gym Fitness Training Workout Pants Leggings Cool Dry for Running Jogging Exercise,L https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BPK7KC4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_w4FiEb0Q09QG0

lunge

They are for me. They don’t chafe and hold everything where it should be. They’re all I use.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Decathlon ones here too. Size up quite small I think but very good.

Spin
    Free Member

These are great, done lots of really long runs in them (BG etc) with no issues:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/kiprun-mens-tight-run-shorts-id_8500812.html

turboferret

@chakaping

I have some rather expensive part merino Runderwear undies, and the 5-pack for a tenner of synthetic running briefs I got from eBay are just as good at a tiny fraction of the price

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes, no chafe in any of the ultras I did in them, they’re great value.

The best shorts I have running wise are the Primark lined ones, they’re fantastic, well fitted, stretchy and don’t need undies.

7 or 8 quid well spent.

lunge

Re shorts, I have several pairs of Decathlon’s that they no longer make that are brilliant. Thankfully, some very short ASICS that I found in Sport Direct are a very good replacement.

bob_summers

Didn’t know people ran in undercrackers. Every day a school day etc
    I like 118 118 short shorts, Spyro do a good pair (it’s an own brand from a Spanish Decathlonalike) but hard to find otherwise.

mogrim

Another vote for them.

Didn’t know people ran in undercrackers

They’re good with lyra 3/4s, and the most recent Decathlon shorts don’t have an inner short. You wouldn’t need them with the older-style shorts with a mesh inner to support your bits 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers for all the pants tips folks.

CraigW
    Free Member

More Mile boxer shorts are pretty good as well. Bit longer than the Decathlon boxer. Cheap enough.
    https://moremile.co.uk/mens/more-mile-7-inch-mens-boxer-short-grey-mm2963.html

I wear them with tights or tracksters etc. All of my shorts have an inner liner, so no need for underwear.

Keva
    Free Member

@surfer
    excellent, that’s great to hear, glad you’ve got yer feet back in your trainers.
    Things are going very well for me atm. I did the 4mile run home yesterday, very muddy cross country, tough ground conditions & carrying a 6.5kg rucksack in 37.5min so very pleased with that. It’s only the second time I’ve run carrying the rucksack – and I’m only 5’4″ weighing 60kg so it’s quite a lump for me to have on my back.
    Tuesdays run was a quicker 3.5mile mostly on tarmac, and last Sunday I did a long muddy xc 12miler but that was more a mix of brisk walking and slow jogging, taking me 2hrs44min door to door – not worried about the time at all, just happy to be able to complete the distance atm.
    Just out of interest, what are peoples views on running with a rucksack, is it damaging at all? I feel okay carrying it and although it feels a bit of a lump it doesn’t feel like I’m struggling. I had energy left for a couple of sets of press ups and squats (with the rucksack) and then did 25min yoga when I got home. Feel okay today.

MrSparkle

After a week of no exercise due to the lurgy I determined to get out for a trot with the dogs. Schlepped across 6 miles of slutchy, boggy moorland. Wasn’t rally enjoying it and was brooding about various shit elements of my life. I cut back through the local cemetery and slammed down on what turned out to be icy tarmac. Grazed and bruised but gave the collar bone a bit of a test and got away with it! Strangely this made me a bit happier about the whole run. Weirdo.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Got a lovely 10 miles in before 9am today, great start, was almost spring like.

lunge

I wear them with tights or tracksters etc. All of my shorts have an inner liner, so no need for underwear.

Interesting. I tend to wear Decathlon boxers under all my shorts, liner or not. I find the liner does not give me the support and comfort I like.

blokeuptheroad

New to this thread, but just wanted to share some positive vibes. A good thing happened to me this morning and I’m absolutely buzzing about it!

I’m 55 and got into the running habit after joining the army as a boy soldier at 16 and serving for 23 years. I carried on after I left, for personal fitness (physical and mental) and “me time”. I was never anything other than average, I ran a few marathons and lots of halves but never ran competitively (except against myself) but mostly just loved pounding the streets and trails on my my own. Running was a big part of my life. It was part of who I was.

About 4 years ago my knees started to hurt when running and then I went skiing for the first time and really screwed them! I had to stop running completely. I had an MRI which showed lots of wear and tear and did some physio which didn’t do much. I was able to cycle and hill walk, but there was just something about the mechanics of running that would cause my knees to swell and really hurt within a few hundred yards.

So I gave up on it, and resigned myself to never running again. I focused on mtb, which I only took up few years ago and to get myself fitter I did the mtb fitness 12 week program. There are loads of leg exercises in there including lots of strength, single leg stuff to correct imbalances and wobble board/bosu ball stuff to strengthen tendons and improve balance. It really seemed to work. I finished the program but got into the gym habit and carried on with a lot of focus on leg strengh. I started tentatively jogging on the treadmill, gradually increasing distance but still only doing up to 3 or 4 km. My knees felt good.

Anyway… too much waffle. Today I entered my first ever park run, my first proper run in nearly 4 years, shitting myself in case my knees imploded. They didn’t. It was fine. It was harder than I expected, but about about half way round I really settled into it and even pushed myself a bit. I was 3rd in my age category and 27th out of a field of 111.

I’m quite chuffed with that, but much, much more chuffed about the prospect of having running back in my life. I don’t want to get carried away, still scared my knees are going to let me down, but maybe, just maybe I’ve got a bit of running in me yet!

turboferret

@Keva
    Assuming the rucksack fits well and isn’t bouncing around, it’s just a bit of extra resistance in my view. I generally run with a small ultra-sack for a good portion of the year and it hasn’t done me any harm (latest wobble not withstanding 😀 ) Sure, my intervals won’t be quite as quick as they might be without it, but I’ll still be getting the same training effect.

Had a small low-key XC race today, the first since getting my various diagnoses. I started with the view that I might pull out after 1 of 2 laps if I was feeling crap. There was 1 serious looking guy who I sat on the shoulder of, with the intention of dropping towards the end, but actually the reverse happened 😮 I was starting to blow with about half a mile to go, and knowing what condition my body is in currently I took the decision to let him go rather than hang on until the bitter end. The first time I haven’t won this race, but looking back, I was still 2 minutes quicker than last year, so clearly the competition has improved! Glad to be back again, even if the cup won’t be engraved with my name this year!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Blokeuptheroad, brilliant, well done fella!. 😊

MrSparkle

^ what he said! 👍

turboferret

My lad expressed an interest in junior parkrun, so we headed off to Wimbledon Park this morning. Grass was very wet and muddy, and he didn’t show any inclination to actually run, so we walked about 800m before he decided he’d had enough! Hopefully he’ll want to return, and with better weather he might actually enjoy it and get a bit further a bit quicker 🙂

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Blokeuptheroad – great stuff, keep it up.

@turboferret
    – that’s the best way to do it I reckon – don’t push them as that will put them off.

Took the 4 and 10 year olds out on their bikes today with mrs. Missed a Richmond Park run but it was a great day out. Mud, ice and a beer.

turboferret

@root-n-5th

How was Victoria Dock parkrun? Did you run, how was your time compared to Nonsuch?

lunge

My lad expressed an interest in junior parkrun, so we headed off to Wimbledon Park this morning. Grass was very wet and muddy, and he didn’t show any inclination to actually run, so we walked about 800m before he decided he’d had enough! Hopefully he’ll want to return, and with better weather he might actually enjoy it and get a bit further a bit quicke

I was volunteering at our local Junior parkrun yesterday and it was hard work for all there. I don’t blame your lad for dropping out at all, it’s a much more fun event in the summer.

alanf
    Free Member

I did the Essar 4 villages half at Helsby yesterday. It was an English masters qualifier and having just moved into the v45 cat I thought I might have a decent chance.
    Despite a new pb (1:13:47) I was only 5th V45 and it is top 4 that qualify for the masters (I was 4th on chip time, but not sure if it’s gun or chip that counts for the selection).
    Anyway, quite a decent pb and I wasn’t wearing vaporfly Next%, like most of the others seemed to be, so a moral victory 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 4,041 through 4,080 (of 7,708 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.