Viewing 29 posts - 281 through 309 (of 309 total)
  • THE Queue.
  • ernielynch

Everyone has got to have a backstory these days. See literally every contestant on Pop Factor, Britain’s got Bake-off etc. It’s the law.

Yeah it’s strange how “these days” people seem to be all different and with different experiences in life.

Back in the day everyone did everything for the same reason. Or when they had a microphone pointed at them simply repeated whatever the previous person said.

binners

he had some time off & went on a pilgrimage to Mecca (not the bingo hall, the one in Saudi Arabia)
    He said there were hundreds of thousands there, queuing to get near.
    Go on Binners, call them perverts, I dare you.

But that’s an actual pilgrimage. A religious duty and an article of faith

A very, very different thing from prostrating yourself before the countries biggest landowner

singletrackmind

I bet only a very very few people in The Queue have ever heard of Rapha, let alone own any Rapha kit.
    They will all be in a cafe after a ride, rather than waste valuable riding time as the days get shorter and the weather more precipitous.
    Ditto any one who hasjust dropped £4k on a bike. Which should last years and provide many many hours of entertainment.
    Although, tbf Mr Beckham has prob met queeny on many occasions, was probably recognised by face without an introduction, so fair play to him.

Darren from cleethorpes however…

ernielynch

But that’s an actual pilgrimage

A very, very different thing

“Very very different”?? You’re having a larf – it’s practically identical to a pilgrimage!

It’s about what they believe in and what defines them.

trailmonkey

A very, very different thing from prostrating yourself before the countries biggest landowner

Oh no, has the Forestry Commission gone under ?

That’s buggered messing about in the woods on our bikes 😉

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

Classic stw thread.
    People having a meltdown over a queue.

binners

It’s about what they believe in and what defines them

If the Royal Family ‘defines’ you then that’s truly tragic and you probably deserve to spend the day stood in a queue having a long hard think about that 😂

MoreCashThanDash

People getting in line having a meltdown over a queue.

ernielynch

Meltdown? Binners calling people queuing to pay their respects to Mrs Windsor perverts does sound a bit hysterical but I don’t think the thread has gone into meltdown.

Here you are binners, even the headline writers in your beloved Guardian newspaper see the obvious connection between the Queue and a pilgrimage:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/09/thousands-make-pilgrimage-to-palace-to-mourn-the-queen-and-greet-the-king

cinnamon_girl

For many it’s a pilgrim. And plenty of people queue up to so stuff they enjoy. I think it’s stretching it to call them “perverts”.

I actually admire people who make sacrifices and tolerate huge discomfort to achieve something which they want to do or believe in.

I notice from live interviews that some people are queuing in memory of recently deceased loved one, eg, the husband who queues in memory of his deceased wife who loved the Queen or daughter who queues because her father who served in the military would have wanted her to.

For these people the personal discomfort adds to making the experience a worthwhile exercise in memory of their loved ones. Watching it on the telly wouldn’t have the same effect.

Bet you didn’t type that with a straight face @ernie

ernielynch

If the Royal Family ‘defines’ you then that’s truly tragic

As usual binners you show your abundance of liberal tolerance by describing people who support the monarchy as both perverts and tragic.

Yeah people who support the monarchy define themselves as royalists. And that would also account for most other people in the Queue. In fact that undoubtedly adds to the appeal of joining the Queue, as it would football supporters, followers of religion, people on a political march, etc

ernielynch

Bet you didn’t type that with a straight face @ernie

Well generally I can respect others people’s opinions and attitudes whilst keeping a straight face, however different to mine they might be.

Obviously I struggle sometimes with binners lol

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Let’s put this question of peoples beliefs & what other people think of those beliefs another way.
    Put your hand up if you’d like to climb Kilimanjaro, go to Everest base camp or pack your bike & go bikepacking. All these are ‘for instances’ & not specific questions, if you’d love to do anything like these, say so. I’ll be back later.

chewkw
    Free Member

If the Royal Family ‘defines’ you then that’s truly tragic and you probably deserve to spend the day stood in a queue having a long hard think about that 😂

They also defined you no matter how much you despise them otherwise you are not who you are. Normal behaviour in the grant scheme of things i.e. “Ying & Yang” sort of things.

Bunnyhop

For me it’s football. I used to be a Man Utd supporter (allowed to be as I was born in that there Manchester), but no more. I don’t understand why you would pay the players outrageous sums of money to run around a cold, wet pitch for 90 minutes, or call the striker/goal scorer a hero for doing that job.

But I do understand why some people have decided to queue and want to pay their respects to a woman who until her last few days was still having to put up with the likes of Boris Johnson and Liz Truss, now that in my book is a person worth queuing for.

I once queued for Elton John concert tickets for several hours in the late 1970’s, sue me now :0)

Klunk
    Free Member

slowoldman

I’m sure there are those who would say the same of religious devotion.

chewkw
    Free Member

Death is death no matter how grand one is.

While the ceremony is meant for the living it should remind us that birth, aged, sickness and death cannot be avoided.

When the time is up there is no escaping but just to comply.

Now that one has seen the passing of the Queen, the question one needs to ask is whether one has regrets in this life. Most of us do and very few don’t. The only different is the severity.

Will I have a good death? I hope so but time will tell.

Remember our clock is ticking …

binners

Far out, man

chewkw
    Free Member

Far out, man

Might or might be associated with death or death of a system.

Regardless, I think everyone has a valid point because that is how it should be. i.e. objecting/supporting a system.

Caher

For me it’s football. I used to be a Man Utd supporter (allowed to be as I was born in that there Manchester), but no more.

So you used to understand and support something and now you don’t? Hi Ms Truss.

ElShalimo

For me it’s football. I used to be a Man Utd supporter (allowed to be as I was born in that there Manchester),

So if you’re from Manchester you’re a City fan. Man Yoo are from Salford. They love the letter “s’ hence the huge amount of fans in Slough, Singapore, Stavanger and Shanghai

dissonance

So you used to understand and support something and now you don’t? Hi Ms Truss.

I think for it to be Truss they would now need to fervently hate it.

Bunnyhop

Yes I’m a woman, therefore can change my mind :0)

maccruiskeen

longdog
    Free Member

😂🤣😂🤣😂

somafunk

Brilliant!

fooman

Queuepiercer, the story of a gigantic, perpetually moving queue that circles the globe carrying the remnants of humanity seven years after the Queen dies. It deals with the questions class warfare, social injustice and the politics of survival. Three seasons on Netflix.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Long live the Queue !

Are we now having 2 weeks of mourning for the queue where you can join a queue to mourn the passing of the queue

Viewing 29 posts - 281 through 309 (of 309 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.