Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 309 total)
  • THE Queue.
  • crazy-legs

it’s all a lot less crazy than the reaction when Diana died, thank goodness.

Yeah but that was an untimely and tragic death with overtones of scandal and conspiracy so it was always going to elicit a different response to that of an elderly woman. Everyone knew the Queen didn’t have much longer to go, it’s not exactly a surprise that she’s died.

The Diana thing wasn’t helped by the initial very poor response from the Palace; that was one occasion the Queen really did drop a clanger in misreading the public mood.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Prove it.

Can’t prove the unprovable. Got any photo’s?

thepurist

The only conspiracy theory I have heard suggested so far is that the HM’s coffin might be filled with potatoes

That rumour started doing the rounds with King Edward’s coffin.

anono

That rumour started doing the rounds with King Edward’s coffin.

I was just about to chip in with that..

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Stop digging up old potatoes news

hels
    Free Member

I have a theory about British people and queues. You claim to be good at them but that is just not true – for example why do you not queue in an orderly fashion in pubs where it would actually be useful? And bus queues, all very orderly when there are plenty of buses and seats, until there is a shortage of space on the bus and not everybody will get a seat, then all of a sudden it’s an elbows out shoulders down rammy.

I think you like queues as it means you get to speak with strangers, without the fear that you might actually have to speak with them again. Other cultures have different ways of doing this.

The bit on BBC on the morning where Charlie Stayt talks to people in The Queue is hilarious! 9/10 I have seen so far “we heard everybody was coming and we don’t want to miss out”.

scotroutes

I think we can safely say that FOMO is playing a bigger part in some societal changes than many will admit.

scotroutes

Can’t prove the unprovable. Got any photo’s?

Its 2022 Jim. Feelz > Facts

thepurist

for example why do you not queue in an orderly fashion in pubs where it would actually be useful?

Ah but there IS a queue in a pub, in as much as everyone at the bar knows who was there before them and whose turn it is to be served next. The fact that it’s a long flat queue is just to confuse visitors.

hels
    Free Member

Also – you love to tut about queues. I jump them all the time, sometimes without realising (see thepurist post) and sometimes on purpose because they are so vaguely constituted that one cannot be expected to notice them. The worst thing that ever happens? Sidey way looks and eye-rolling, some tutting etc. Occasionally I get called on it so just fake an Australian accent and fake apologise.

Sandwich

for example why do you not queue in an orderly fashion in pubs where it would actually be useful?

We all know where we are in the queue at the bar and I will point the bar staff at the next in line if it’s not my turn. We’re not savages!

Bunnyhop

Ah in my younger years being of small stature and a female, the barmaid would bypass me, as they always could flirt with the chaps. The thinking behind this is that the males then tipped the buxom barmaid and I would not. That is correct, as I’d been pushed in on so many times, I did not tip the barmaid.

Anyway back to queues, how on earth do they start up the queue again? Will there be a mad rugby scrum to get to the new/old queue, or as said above, is there a secret new queue to start up the old queue?

binners

Ah in my younger years being of small stature and a female, the barmaid would bypass me, as they always could flirt with the chaps. The thinking behind this is that the males then tipped the buxom barmaid and I would not. That is correct, as I’d been pushed in on so many times, I did not tip the barmaid.

I’m afraid we’re into a chicken and egg situation here though

I know from experience, as I’ve worked behind enough of them, bar staff are both non-judgemental (hate everyone equally) and completely mercenary. If you’d dropped a bigger tip than Nigel and Dave then you’d be getting served before them.

Simple as that.

Don’t tip? … then you’re getting served last after all the people who say ‘keep the change…’

This has got me thinking… what kind of deviant would stand in a queue for hours and hours on a Friday afternoon/Evening when the pubs are open? What the hell is wrong with these people?

dawson

Queue news…

Ffs

tthew

We all know where we are in the queue at the bar and I will point the bar staff at the next in line if it’s not my turn. We’re not savages!

And by doing so, you ensure you ALWAYS get served next anyway, so nothing lost.

Sounds like you went in the wrong pubs Bunnyhop. Sandwich, thepurist and I would have made sure you got served in turn.

devash
    Free Member

When I read that there’s now a queue to join the queue, my mind exploded.

phil5556

Not only was he spotted in the queue, he also had snacks

Bunnyhop

blimey binners, how on earth did you know it was always Nigel and Dave who pushed in and gave the biggest tips?
    As one gets older and wiser and more often the barmaids were replaced by young males, then yes I did get served and yes they were offered the change. tthew – definitely bad pub choices in my youth :O)

Edit: we need to know now what flavour crisps and which doughnut filling.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I’m now fantasising that at the end of this the coffin is opened and David Blaine pops out and thanks everyone for their involvement in his latest stunt

Or better still Meghan markle’s dad

tomhoward

The perfect illustration of a queue isn’t a bar, as there always some pissed up dickhead who ruins it, plus the above mentioned tipping/flirting.

The perfect queue is a barbers shop. You walk into a room, you acknowledge who is in there. They go before you. Anyone who comes in after, after you. No appointments, no ‘I was next!’, just quiet, perfect, waiting till everyone that was there before you had been seen to, before your turn.

binners

You’re just showing off now because you’ve still got hair

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

This theory falls apart when inevitably the bar staff are predominantly male, and any sensible group went to the bar in mixed sex couples, the lady to get served and the gent to help carry.

tillydog
    Free Member

Does the queue exit through Ye Olde Gifte Shoppe?

For some unfathomable reason, this has appeared in our house!

dazh

Someone has worked out how to maximise the mourning..

dissonance

This theory falls apart when inevitably the bar staff are predominantly male, and any sensible group went to the bar in mixed sex couples, the lady to get served

Depends. I know one bar manager who always argued for serving attractive females who were flirting last. The reasoning was no chance in reality so might as well enjoy it for a while.
    Busy pub it was hard to remember everyone who had tipped so that never worked but we did a mental queue of who was waiting regardless of the shouting.
    Did win a tenner once after being out with a mate and mates of mates, one of whom was utterly convinced of his bar queue hopping ability so he challenged any to get served first as we walked into a pub. Bad luck on his part really that it was the pub I worked in.

binners

Northwind

tthew

And by doing so, you ensure you ALWAYS get served next anyway, so nothing lost.

Every once in a while, it can happen that you do the “he’s next” thing and then you DON’T get served next. And what we do in that situation is, we send that bartender and the person they served to guantanamo bay

dissonance

With regards to THE queue. I wonder if people are trying to game it so they get to walk through whilst William and co are standing vigil.

ernielynch

an army of people and infrastructure and supplies spring up overnight to support people standing in a queue

I know that about 300 queuing have received medical assistant but what other support are they being offered?

Cups of tea and sandwiches?

If there’s cake I might join the queue myself.

fingerbang
    Free Member

bit peeved that Beckham is queuing up, for a bargain 10,000 GBP I’d have happily queued for him, allowing him to jump in on the steps of westminster hall – when it gets exciting

mjsmke

Not read the whole thread, but I’d be surprised if the Queen is even in the box.

Bunnyhop

tomhoward – I love your description of the perfect queue in the barber’s shop, however in no way does this help me, as I have never knowingly set foot in a barber’s :0)

Re the pub situation. I must add that my experience of the rough and tumble and pushing in and lack of queuing in the pub was when I was very young (late 1970’s early 1980’s). However a sharp elbow and a high stiletto heel have come in handy with some drunkard no queuing idiot in the past.

tonyd

Do people really tip at the pub? In my yoof I would proffer “one for yourself” in my local but that’s as far as it went. Are those of you who tip drinking in proper pubs or “bars”?

I had to go to London Bridge for a meeting this morning so I walked along the river from Waterloo so I could marvel at the queue. It was a bit of an anti-climax if I’m honest.

mogrim

The perfect queue is a barbers shop. You walk into a room, you acknowledge who is in there. They go before you. Anyone who comes in after, after you.

This is the Spanish way of queuing at the butchers/fishmongers/etc. You walk in, ask “¿Quién es el último?” (who’s last?), said person will reply “Yo”, and that’s your position sorted. Even the old women respect the system.

dissonance

Do people really tip at the pub?

Keep the change wasnt unknown but not really large tips aside from sometimes yanks buying food. Even then we generally failed the good service test since they (plus quite a few Europeans) tend to expect table service. So they sat down looking at us and we stood behind the bar polishing glasses.

kelvin

I miss table service. Carry on chatting to your mates, or the randoms at the next table. Get the drink brought to you. And, yer, I was tipping when the pubs were doing it, anything to help.

Used to be “one for yourself” in pubs, which meant a 50p tip (yeah, old man)… then that disappeared and communicating the size of tip to staff behind the bar in a loud pub just become too much bother. “Keep the change” only really works with cash… which I use to buy beer just about never.

muntz777
    Free Member

I for one will not be joining the queue and I have caught the occasional and repetitive news on THE Q, whilst on holiday in Peebles (cycling, and TweedLove)… The beeb cannot get enough.

I have to say, it reminds me of the sudden urge Brits had for toilet roll during the pandemic. Didn’t need it, but felt the urge to join in with the hysteria.

Notwithstanding my underlying opinion of the Firm, I have to say I feel for Charles. He’s lost his mum, can’t grieve becaude he’s being ferried around the country, and gets shipped into speak to the public intermittently. Give the guy a break. I, for one, think that coffin needs to be put in private for the family to mourn.

kelvin

Tomorrow is going to be big. Today was small fry. Lots of family and friends of mine have (obviously) been working today… the weekend is different, they’re all aiming to get in the queue early tomorrow morning. The weekend is likely to be crazy. Good luck to anyone joining in.

I, for one, think that coffin needs to be put in private for the family to mourn.

To my mind that would be the most respectful, seemly, human, thing to do.

dudeofdoom

But that’s the whole point,the pomp and ceremony sort of goes with the territory.

They aren’t ‘normal’ people and this has to be perpetuated as part of the game.

He’s sort of been groomed for this from the day he was born,

dissonance

Good luck to anyone joining in.

I am debating whether to head into London on Sunday to go to one of the indoor climbing walls. Cant be arsed dealing with packed trains and definitely having to rule out a couple of the walls which needs me to head through the centre and have also ruled out a bimble round either of the tates first.
    Question is how much heavier the traffic at the main stations would be.

I thought today would have been busy since the royal presence was advertised yesterday so people trying to turn up for around this time.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 309 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.