Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 309 total)
  • THE Queue.
  • theotherjonv

But this queue is all about togetherness. If that happens in this queue, move closer and maybe even hug them back.

Serious mode – it might be only 1% of the population by numbers but that’s like saying there are only 65000 Man United fans because that’s how many turn up to watch their games. In both cases it’s limited of course by capacity too, the fact that ‘only’ half a million will file past is partly because that is what will be able to get past in the time allocated (and god help us if they suggest an extension, could go on for weeks!). If they had 4 queues from NSEW and travelators to speed it up, then I’ve no doubt the number would be higher. But the point is that as a measure of the proportion of the nation is clearly still pro-monarchy it is quite instructive. That said, a properly run poll tells us that anyway.

Whatever you think of the sentiment and the mindset of people queuing all night to walk slowly past a box with a flag on it (I wouldn’t personally use fringe nutters myself) you can’t deny it exists in very large numbers.

Bunnyhop

Ski resorts in Europe, especially France, Italy, Switzerland and Austria, could learn a thing or two from ‘the queue’.
    The queues there start with a couple of people, then spread out into a massive triangle. It’s just a ‘free for all’, elbows out and pushing, then the lifties only let 2 people on a 6 person chair lift. Lots of tutting going on by the Brits :O).

kayak23

it’s limited of course by capacity too, the fact that ‘only’ half a million will file past is partly because that is what will be able to get past in the time allocated

They should have put her on the central reservation of the M6 maybe.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    imnotverygood

Whatever you think of the sentiment and the mindset of people queuing all night to walk slowly past a box with a flag on it (I wouldn’t personally use fringe nutters myself) you can’t deny it exists in very large numbers.

Yes. This thread has quite a few posts from people frantically trying to reinforce the walls of the echo chamber. The Queue is real. Get over it.

Sandwich

a measure of the proportion of the nation is clearly still pro-monarchy it is quite instructive.

Another way of looking at it that people want to be part of a moment in history. Their enthusiasm for the monarchy should not be extrapolated from the small numbers being interviewed who express support for the institution.

kayla1
    Free Member

I was Queue curious last night so went on to channel 601 (BBC red button feed) to gawk at THE Queuers. FML, what a bunch of mournier-than-thou lickspittles. There were people who obviously knew the cameras were on them and they didn’t half make a show of being extra ReSpeCful!!!1!!1! 🤣

Also, in other WTaF news, there was radio coverage of THE Queue last night, as filler just before the England v. India cricket was due to start. It was **** surreal 😵

What the **** is happening in this country? Like if you’re not super-remembrancing from the end of August with shop dummies dressed as WW1 soldiers in your front garden (so everyone can see how remembrancey you are!), or ultramourning over the deaths of priveliged old people you’re not A PAtrIOt!!1!!1!!

Eff that shiz.

imnotverygood

Another way of looking at it that people want to be part of a moment in history. Their enthusiasm for the monarchy should not be extrapolated from the small numbers being interviewed who express support for the institution.

I’m sure that there are a lot of people who want to be part of the moment. But you are not seriously suggesting that people who travel down to London, and who join a 4 mile queue lasting for multiple hours, are secretly closet republicans?

binners

I often wondered who bought that tasteless royal themed tat that you see at the back of tabloid Sunday supplements or who bought the Daily Express on the strength of its endless Diana front pages

Having watched some people interviewed in ‘The Queue’ last night, I now know

Pathetic, grovelling forelock-tugging serfs

Have some self-respect FFS!

Its embarrassing to witness

ernielynch

I was Queue curious last night so went on to channel 601 (BBC red button feed) to gawk at THE Queuers.

Sounds like it was a well worth exercise which made you feel better about yourself.

tthew

I wonder if this will be the catalyst for a Coronavirus bubble. Levels are low at the moment, but 1 in 70 have it, which still means a bigly number of spreaders in THE queue.

johnx2
    Free Member

I hadn’t realised the Cabinet were queueing.

MPs and Lords don’t have to queue, they plus guests get free access to Wm Hall.

I’d not personally queue 10 hours to see it but the hall itself is quite a thing – massive 925 year old building, original oak beams. Rees Mogg said “excuse me” to me, last time I was there in a surreal moment in a corridor conversation. He’s not as tall as you’d think. Am I still typing?

Sandwich

who join a 4 mile queue lasting for multiple hours, are secretly closet republicans?

Assumption is the mother of all **** ups. No I’m suggesting that the data for either position is not proven. We don’t know and to extrapolate approval from an admittedly small sample size (those interviewed) would be foolish.

mogrim

Pretty sure the Queue is made up of a combination of people:

* Genuine Monarchy fans

* Not too bothered about monarchy, but loved the Queen

* Want to be a part of it (and tell their friends)

* Queue-curious.

The group I find interesting is the second – will support for the monarchy drop in a couple of years, once Liz starts to fade into historical memory, and Charles is king?

crazy-legs
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got a modicum of sympathy for the queue jumping MP’s, they’re held to account based on voting records consisting of whipped votes, opposition day motions, voting for an amendment to bad legislation because it was at least better than the original, whether they wore a red or white poppy, have they suggested that maybe bombing Palestine into the stone age every few years isn’t a viable peace plan, were they at Pride, did they fly back from their family holiday to do something about the airport chaos, etc, etc.

Imagine having a job where you could lose it based on some PPE grad leaflet dropping an old peoples home that you’d had the audacity to not see the coffin!

rOcKeTdOg

I queued for two hours in -17 blizzard conditions across red square in 1982 to see lenin so this queue isn’t much of a challenge. Plus Lenin was visible! Who knows where the actual royal corpse is?

imnotverygood

I don’t know about you, but I have certainly been to funerals where I am not particularly grieving. I’ve gone out of a sense of duty or to ‘show respect’ or to support someone I care for who is grieving. That’s funerals for you. I don’t doubt that this is the same for this funeral, but to suggest that not everyone the queue is personally devastated by the Queen’s death, therefore this all somehow faked is stretching it a long way. Like it or not, support for the monarchy & the Queen herself is much greater than a lot of posters on STW would like to think. Which is why all the moaning about why we should be discussing an elected Head of State is a bit weird. We know who the successful candidate would be.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

you’re not A PAtrIOt!!1!!1!!

You ok hun? I mean I can see your keyboard’s knackered & I feel your pain but there’s no need to get uppity.

rickmeister

Does the queue exit through Ye Olde Gifte Shoppe?

MoreCashThanDash

Yes. This thread has quite a few posts from people frantically trying to reinforce the walls of the echo chamber. The Queue is real. Get over it.

And making sweeping and insulting remarks about people whose views they disagree with. Which never reflects well.

I’ve no interest in being a Queuer, but, you know, it’s a free country, they aren’t harming anyone, and, to be fair, it’s all a lot less crazy than the reaction when Diana died, thank goodness.

mrdobermann
    Free Member

Apparently the queue has been paused for 6 hrs… expect the first queue for the queue to begin.

trailmonkey

I queued for two hours in -17 blizzard conditions across red square in 1982 to see lenin

Wow, that’s like a top trumps death card for an STW political thread.

mashr

Just here to say that ^ no way people will be able to resist making a queue for the queue

rOcKeTdOg

Wow, that’s like a top trumps death card for an STW political thread.

It’s what school trips were like in the 80s when your history teacher was a Marxist

csb

Plus Lenin was visible!

I queued to see Mao in 1998. About an hour queue 22 years after his death. His embalmed body had a freaky luminescent glow. And the exit was literally through a gift shop of Mao tat, waving plastic statues and the like.

scotroutes

Just here to say that ^ no way people will be able to resist making a queue for the queue

There’s a whole new branch of psychology here. We could call it Queuer Theory.

molgrips
    Free Member

And the exit was literally through a gift shop of Mao tat

How superbly ironic.

will support for the monarchy drop in a couple of years, once Liz starts to fade into historical memory, and Charles is king?

Oh absolutely yes. The Queen was the only unimpeachable one, in the eyes of the public. Once this blows over support will leave in droves – Charles is damaged goods in PR terms. There’s a chance William could save it though.

funkmasterp

I’ve no interest in being a Queuer, but, you know, it’s a free country, they aren’t harming anyone,

Plus the whole thing is entertaining. It’s like a giant satire only it’s not, it’s real and absolutely mind boggling from my perspective. Now feel wrong for being entertained by the death of a much loved person. Media’s fault though! If they’d not interviewed the royal bee keeper about breaking the news to the bees I would’ve never paid attention to any of it.

ernielynch

Thanks for the link crazy legs, that was interesting.

As I said earlier in the thread last month I queued for about an hour to see a shrine at the Hari Krishna temple. I am not a Hindu and to be perfectly honest I didn’t really know what I was queuing up for but I was intrigued by the sight of hundreds of people queuing during a Krishnashtami festival, the fact the queue hardly moved and everyone seemed so relaxed and patient made it even more intriguing.

The end result was that I spent just a couple of minutes in front of an admittedly impressive shrine which meant nothing to me although I found the profound reverence of the crowd quite contagious.

What struck me most though was that despite being clueless concerning what to expect, and being one of maybe 3 or 4 white faces among hundreds (for this I queued on my own) I didn’t in anyway at all feel that I was an outsider who wasn’t in sync with everyone, which I guess backs up the claim made in the link concerning the false impression of people’s motives. Also it was very clear to me that some people were vastly more religious than others, some you could see were doing out of duty or to be with friends and family.

TiRed

will support for the monarchy drop in a couple of years,

Might increase. If he and Son1 reform enough, some detractors could come on board, and the supporters won’t be going anywhere soon.

Just to say they also run a tight queue in Windsor down the High Street every weekend for the castle. Properly dressed attendants too. There is seating along the edge of the castle, a Weatherspoons and a McD for the famished. As one would expect. I find the statistic that 1% of a nation might file past a single location within a few days a rather impressive logistical feat (since we’re not Lichtenstein).

kelvin

Charles is damaged goods in PR terms. There’s a chance William could save it though.

Have to agree with this. The Queen managed (in my opinion) never to actually look pompous or self important, which was an incredible feat given the role and everything that surrounds it. There is no way the new Monarch will manage that. William might be able to.

If he and Son1 reform enough, some detractors could come on board, and the supporters won’t be going anywhere soon.

Reform, or just different PR? When it comes to real reform, I’m still very unclear whether that is entirely in the hands of the current Monarch. I’ve asked before, but who has to approve any reform? What if that reform requires changing statute?

ernielynch

it’s all a lot less crazy than the reaction when Diana died, thank goodness.

This is very true and I hadn’t thought of that.

I guess this particular national mourning doesn’t include allegations that the Queen was murdered or driven to her death, which I guess would up the emotions.

The only conspiracy theory I have heard suggested so far is that the HM’s coffin might be filled with potatoes. Although I suppose it’s still early days.

mogrim

Another interesting (to me, at least) link, about the psychology behind public mourning:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-02945-9

jam-bo

the queue is closed. long live the queue..

theotherjonv

it’s not exactly the same as queuing but BITD I’d regularly drive for 8 or 9 hours in an uncomfortable car with shit heating / ventilation, to some faraway provincial shithole town and back again.

On the positive side, it wasn’t stood up queuing and you could at least listen to the cassette player (not radio though, that had an earthing issue so there was static in time with the engine revs). And instead of a 2 minute payoff, it was 90 minutes.

On the negative side, even in those days it was a full tank of petrol, plus entrance fees, and overpriced burger, and the 90 minute payback was 90 minutes watching Reading inevitably get humped by someone like Hartlepool or Bury.

That’s what fringe nutters look like.

ransos
    Free Member

I guess this particular national mourning doesn’t include allegations that the Queen was murdered or driven to her death, which I guess would up the emotions.

She was literally driven to her death.

easily
    Free Member

As this many people are interested maybe HM should be embalmed and displayed permanently. It could do wonders for the tourist industry.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I wonder if this will be the catalyst for a Coronavirus bubble.

Probably not particularly as you’re only in contact with a couple of people in front and behind you for the whole time.
    Probably more chance of spread in your local supermarket.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

So let’s get this straight.
    Is it ok for people to queue for hours to see a shrine to a deity that’s never existed, without being slagged of as some kind of nut job, but when someone queues for hours to pay respect to an actual person who did exist….they’re a nut job?
    Yours, confused of North Yorkshire. 😂🧐🤔

scotroutes

a deity that’s never existed,

Prove it.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 309 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.