Home Forums Chat Forum The one about the Olympic Games 2024

Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 1,000 total)
  • The one about the Olympic Games 2024
  • masterdabber
    Free Member

That was so funny…. as they lined up I said to Mrs MD… I bet some other b*gger wins it.

bensales
    Free Member

In the 1500? Not who anyone thought. Great race.

masterdabber
    Free Member

duplicate

TiRed

Ladies Kierin on now…

scud
    Free Member

Nah. Olympic pools are 2,500,000 L, assume 12 degree increase from baseline, and the specific heat of water as 4,200 J/kg/degree, requires 1.3E11 Joules, and there are 3.6E6 Joules per kWh, so 35,000 KWh at 25p for electric and 6p for gas would be about £8750 and £2100. Still have to KEEP it warm though! And you might want it warmer.

I worked years ago for electricity board, the police would often contact us looking for patterns of electricity usage, as you could tell that the property either had a swimming pool or was a cannabis farm.

crazy-legs

Team GB Women’s TP heat now – up against USA for a place on the Gold Medal final.

frogstomp

Shout out to the (fellow) oldies in the skateboarding!

crazy-legs

GB Women’s team pursuit squad beaten by USA so they’re in the ride-off for Bronze later this evening against Italy. The USA squad included Kristen Faulkner, the Gold medallist from the Women’s road race last weekend.

beinbhan

How can they claim a world record at speed climbing, is every course identical?

Bunnyhop

frogstompFull Member

Indeed. Andy (Old) MacDonald coming 18th out of 22,  at the age of 51 – Chapeau.

The men’s dingy sailing (sorry not sure of the correct boat type) was really exciting. Team GB was 8th and came nearer and nearer to the end as a silver placing, when the race got postponed. Timing not good, but what can one do without the wind.

Cycling back on.

TiRed

Weightlifting. Aside from the doping, it’s gladiatorial and always a spectacle worth watching. On now…

You set a weight you want to lift as a mark in each of the three disciplines, then try and lift this. You have three lifts per discipline. But you also can try and intimidate your opponents with a big initial lift, or just creep up slowly. Total for three disciplines is summed and the highest total is the winner.

slowoldman

How can they claim a world record at speed climbing, is every course identical?

Yes.

TiRed

Sorry two disciplines. Clean and Jerk, sub 61 kilos now. And the list of shame. Spoiler, they’re not failing for recreational drugs ;-)

slowoldman

Blimey, that was some race.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Mens TP was incredible!

AdamT

What actually happened to the guy on the front of the GB TP squad?  I’m in Italy, so watching in Italian (which I don’t speak?)

bensales
    Free Member

I think he slipped off the front of the saddle. The Aussies had it by that point anyway.

surfer
    Free Member

In the 1500? Not who anyone thought. Great race.

I thought him and/or Nguse could cause an upset and get on the podium, watched them both on the US indoors and outdoor circuit. He was particularly impressive some time ago doing a 1500 and 3000m double (from memory) and both times were impressive.

beej

Yeah, Adam Blythe explained it well on Eurosport – they pull so hard on the bars they can come too far forward and off the saddle.

bensales
    Free Member

As an aside, isn’t it great how far Hope have come in thirty years?

crazy-legs

Women’s TP up now for Bronze.

crazy-legs

Hamish Turnbull winning his sprint heat by a single thousandth of a second!

Chris Hoy famously had that once as well.

simondbarnes

The men’s discus is shaping up to be a cracking competition.

butcher

I thought Andy Mcdonald put in a good run. He’s not typically a park skater and the new generations are a step above, even the older of them like Pedro Barros (who very much is a park skater!). To put a good score on the board at the age of 51 amongst those guys is impressive.

MoreCashThanDash

There was a guy at the skatepark looked just like Tony Hawk….

theotherjonv

We’ve had a Chariots of Fire montage, we know what happens next. I reckon bronze, maybe silver

cheers_drive

It appears to be the year of silvers

johnners
    Free Member

Bloody hell.

Dickyboy

Big up to Zambia for their first medal though :-)

rsl1
    Free Member

GB are the only country with 2 people in the men’s lead/boulder climbing final, that’s pretty big! Tbh I think I want Adam Ondra to win though just so he can quit comps and concentrate on real rocks

snotrag

The Steeplechase is always a bit mad but that one was extra mad. Massive respect to the USA athlete who came in 2nd, that was a really bold move!

andy4d

I hope the lad who fell is OK, it looked a bad fall.

ceepers

Talking steeplechase, this is my mates brother.

He was so gutted…..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/articles/crgmj2lylv1o

worth noting he’s achieved all this without being a full time athlete and works a “normal” job too!

CountZero

Yeah, Adam Blythe explained it well on Eurosport – they pull so hard on the bars they can come too far forward and off the saddle.

That’s not what happened, he basically ‘bonked’, lost all the strength in his legs and slid forwards off his saddle. Watch him in slomo and he’s all over the place, he said afterwards that he could barely stay upright. BBC News keeps saying his saddle broke, but there’s no evidence of that, he actually said “my whole body went weak, I could barely hold myself upright”, I’m quoting him because he’s just been on the telly saying exactly that.

I’ve been watching all of the archery matches from the beginning, which Discovery+ allows me to do. Fortunately I get it for free, so I can keep it for future use. South Korea’s women’s team just managed to beat China’s team in a very close shootout; it got very tense!

Bunnyhop

Does anyone know when the ‘one man’ sailing dingy race will be re-run? It was postponed yesterday due to light winds. GB were in the silver medal position near the end.

simondbarnes

Does anyone know when the ‘one man’ sailing dingy race will be re-run? It was postponed yesterday due to light winds. GB were in the silver medal position near the end.

Yesterday

masterdabber
    Free Member

Whilst we all hope that what we’re seeing are clean, undoped performances, this makes you wonder what really is the case.

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/news/wada-statement-reuters-story-exposing-usada-scheme-contravention-world-anti-doping-code

MoreCashThanDash

Yesterday

And I think we missed the medals in the rerun?

MoreCashThanDash

Whilst we all hope that what we’re seeing are clean, undoped performances, this makes you wonder what really is the case.

As a spectator, enjoy the spectacle,  the details will just depress you.

masterdabber
    Free Member

As a spectator, enjoy the spectacle,  the details will just depress you.

Oh I do…. but I don’t naively presume all is clean and all performances are just the result of genetics, hard work etc.  I use the word “all” as I also don’t think they are all at it.   USADA is a pretty major player.

Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 1,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.