Home Forums Chat Forum The one about the Olympic Games 2024

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 1,000 total)
  • The one about the Olympic Games 2024
  • IHN

Boom!

desperatebicycle

The problem with introducing new sports is that one of the old ones needs to go

They can get rid of that kids-play-ball 3v3 basketball! Guessing its a test sport this year, but man it was rubbish :D

johndoh
    Free Member

There will be WRs all over the place – apparently, it’s a higher track by 1m over most tracks and the weather conditions are perfect. So BBC said earlier anyway.

And with a name like Finucane, she sounds fast, like a Supercar – the Lamborghini Finucane.

crazy-legs

GB Men’s Team Pursuit set a phenomenal time too, only 1″ off WR.

crazy-legs

Wow! I remember the days when 4 minutes was the benchmark time in the Team Pursuit…

theotherjonv

They can get rid of that kids-play-ball 3v3 basketball! Guessing its a test sport this year, but man it was rubbish :D

I thought it was great!

susepic

So why in the team pursuit were all the GB helmets the same, but one of the French team was wearing a Spesh hat when the 3 others were wearing the same Kask as the UK?

TiRed

Might have tested faster for Aeros in the tunnel for that rider in their own position. Helmets can be rider-sensitive depending on position, and these guys are looking to save EVERY watt they can. Some provide all-round good average behaviour (Giro Aerohead), but others will depend on where the head sits relative to shoulders.

susepic

Thanks TiRed!

So it’s not cos one’s a cheapskate who got his from the Chiggle firesale ;)

crazy-legs

Women’s Team Sprint was **spectacular**!

With an added game of World Record tennis as it was broken by team after team.

bensales
    Free Member

Wow

Wow

Wow

Wow

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Good to see Chris Hoy there

onehundredthidiot

Kayak X is utter madness. Brilliant madness

retrorick

Do the team track bikes have different gear ratios? Relating to the rider and their role in the event?

It looks as if they all ride the same ratio?

Would there be an advantage for the rider who starts off and doesn’t need to finish to have a list gear to get the team up to speed and the sprinters at the end a bigger gear to attain the higher speed at the end?

RichBowman

Laura Kenny was suggesting they had different ratios – certainly the one starting.

Caher

I’d have more chance of riding one of those dancing horses than doing the pole vault. How do you become a pole vaulter?

theotherjonv

I have no idea. If it goes wrong up there, 6m is a long way down.

The Swedish athlete is clearing by a huge amount, record is 6.24 I think. He seems to be clearing by more than that.

crazy-legs

How do you become a pole vaulter?

Carefully.

I often wonder the same about ski jumping, I can’t picture the sort of intermediate bit between “buying skis” and “hurling yourself down a very big hill into the air”.

I assume with vaulting that there must be sort of baby poles, learning ones rather than you simply being catapulted off into orbit on your first go but again, I can’t picture the progression.

Also, do pole vaulters have their own pole and if so, how do they transport it?

sc-xc

How do you become a pole vaulter?

Es ist wirklich einfach, mein deutscher Freund. Zuerst müssen Sie einen polnischen Pass beantragen, dann können Sie nach Warschau umziehen.

retrorick

Nice controlled win from Keely in the 800m

theotherjonv

Finally some one with a BBC montage that hasn’t been a kiss of death

argee

Poor woman looks like she had the weight of the world on her shoulders going through that, thankfully she did it well and won that gold, it’s crazy the pressure these top performers are under during this Olympics.

dantsw13

That was a class win too.

Caher

Imperious. Seems like a nice person too given the way she went around the crowd.

bensales
    Free Member

I really want this Swedish fella to get the record now.

bensales
    Free Member

Top lad!

simondbarnes

6.25m!

shermer75
    Free Member

What was the interaction between Duplantis and his team mate in the audience? They looked like they were punching each others chests?

BigJohn

Your parents need to live in Poland and how did you know my name is Walter?

theotherjonv

Just seen the replay of the team sprint. It looked like the NZ lead was too quick, so 2 wasn’t getting the full benefit of the draft, whereas the GB absolutely nailed the team bit of team sprint.

Bunnyhop

The kayak cross has been superb. It ain’t over until the fat lady sings. Such fun as a spectator sport and it’s caused a few lol moments in the bunnyhop household. The Brits were very impressive.

TiRed

Just catching up with this afternoons track. The keen eyed will have seen that China were riding off the peg Look track bikes. The very keen will have seen that the first two ladies were riding T20’s, whilst the last was riding their new super bike, the P24. This is Look’s answer to the wide forked Lotus-Hope and is a 12k euro frame. Canada all rode Argon 18’s. An off the peg Canadian frame that’s decent value.

Some nice velobike bars on the NZ bikes that have copied the design for aero coach Lann (I have those).

In the team pursuit, some riders have different aero bar set ups. Belgium riding stock bikes with Deda stock extensions. Team GB are all on custom set ups with 3d printed stems and Wattshop Anemoi custom extensions and arm cups from Dan Bigham’s company.

Campag Ghibli track disk wheels have been sold out for over a year, they’re all at the Olympic velodrome!

if you want any more geeky bike details, just ask. The riding is pretty good too!

onehundredthidiot

Re pole vaulting my last school did it as part of the summer sports. They started with short poles, 2m(?) and vaulted over what was effectively a high jump. Then onto a proper pole vault bar and mat but again shorter poles.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m sure that it’s very very fast, but good god that Lotus Hope looks awful.

Very emotional watching Sophie Capewell, I remember her, and her dad when I rode with Lichfield CC.

TiRed

They look better in the flesh. By contrast the Look P24 looks worse!  But it’s a third of the price!

https://www.lookcycle.com/fr-fr/produits/velos/piste/look-p24

chewkw
    Free Member

They look better in the flesh. By contrast the Look P24 looks worse!  But it’s a third of the price!

How much! :-D

TiRed

There are a few T20’s at track league, but I’ve yet to see a P24. Plenty of Argon 18s around too. The original Lotus was expensive but achievable. This new one looks the same but is 3D printed and unavailable.

For bike geeks, see if anyone rides a new Dolan DF5. The older DF4 is very popular at Lee Valley but the DF5 is brand new.

The Australian Factor is as unobtainable as the Lotus.

Any wheel gaps of less than half a wheel diameter is impressive. Thats a huge amount of time spent following a wheel.

snotrag

Just caught up on iplayer, incredible team sprint. Outstanding. Marchant is local and we have some friends of friends whom are out there watching, must have been emotional.

Laura Kenny was suggesting they had different ratios – certainly the one starting

You can see it on the first lap – the leader always drops the following two for about 3/4  of the lap as it takes them longer to get up to speed, and they time it so as they are fully wound up as they go into lap 2. Rider 2 and 3 are always in much closer contact and presumably are running the same (or closer) ratio. The timing of the whole event is incredibly precise, it’s beautiful to watch.

slowoldman

The kayak cross has been superb.

Mrs Slow says it’s like It’s a Knockout.

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 1,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.