Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 187 total)
  • “The North” – where is it.
  • Jamz
    Free Member

Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, Bucks and Herts are Southern. Possibly with the inclusion of Herefordshire and Shropshire in summer – they then revert to being Northern in winter.

Worcs, Warwickshire and Northans are all Northern, as is everything above.

Beds, Cambs, Lincolnshire and those eastern counties are neither Northern nor Southern but some other weird entity, a bit like Holland.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I live in the west though lots of people who don’t live here think it’s the north. I have to travel north east to get to the north.If I travel east north east I can get to the north east

I used to think this too until Nobeerinthefridge informed me that I don’t actually live in the west, because my west isn’t west enough.

Too close to Harthill Services apparently.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Everything South of Sheffield is still part of France isn’t it?..

The North = Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire, Cheshire and Merseyside.

Scotland is Scotland and has its own North and South, like Yorkshire it’s big enough too warrant that.

The Northeast is not the north and is county Durham and Tyne and wear.

The lake district is not the North and is Cumbria.

The above are all North, but the The North

The below are all South but not The South

The midlands are Norfolk, lincs, notts, worcs, Warwickshire, Shropshire and staffs.

Wales is just Wales.

The South West is not The South and is Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Dorset, Somerset, Devon and Cornwall.

I think Herefordshire is in Wales as it’s certainly not the Midlands or the South west.

The South is that easterly bit thats left.

dovebiker

Easy – anywhere where they put gravy on the chips on their shoulder 😉

nickc

Is/was there a derilict factory in your town that had or has been for sale for ages, and is a bit of an eyesore?

If it was knocked down to make space for housing years ago, you probably live in the south

If it was repurposed as an art gallery or shared space , you probably live in the Midlands, Wales or Scotland

If it’s just remained a shell for as long as people can remember , then you probably live in the north

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Oh and Hendersons relish is just a pale imitation of Worcestershire sauce.

Do you have some sort of death wish saying things like that?

We take this sort of thing seriously.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Surrey Hills

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Stoke is in the Midlands, just because it’s a bit of a hole doesn’t make it Northern.  By the same token Harrogate is still Northern despite being an enclave of Surrey.

ransos
    Free Member

Errr ranos ..what the hell are you on about? ..I’m on about the village in Shropshire ..

Ah, so in a discussion about the centre of GB, you decided to talk about something else.

Did  I say anything at all about Meriden ?

You didn’t name the place at all. I was putting you right.

Please get it right before blindly jumping in ..😂

Do you open your mouth for reasons other than exchanging feet?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Never understood the confusion on this one. Almost every map of the UK I’ve ever seen has had a line clearly marked on it to show where the split is. It runs from Gretna to Berwick. HTH.

On the oft-quoted road-sign front, I’ve seen signs for “The North” when I’ve been latitudinally-advantaged over Inverness….

gordimhor

Perchy perhaps you live in the midlands.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Ranos ..Jesus Christ sunshine read the article will you  ?

I was responding to Drac ..not yourself who had accused me of not reading the article I had posted ..now if you go back and actually read what I was responding to / putting Drac right ..you might actually “get it ”

Or is that beyond you ?

finephilly
    Free Member

Believe it or not, there’s actually a north/south divide in wales. Categorised by the river Severn. If you want to be really difficult about it, the south is below Brecon, north above bala and mid between the two 😉

ransos
    Free Member

Ranos ..Jesus Christ sunshine read the article will you  ?

I have. Would you like me to re-write it for you with simpler words?

RustySpanner

After taking all the above into consideration, I still reckon it’s Deansgate….🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Perchy perhaps you live in the midlands

😀 I live in the badlands.

ebygomm
    Free Member

NUTS 1 statistical regions – UKC, UKD and UKE

So North East, North West and Yorkshire and the Humber

slowoldman

I going with a roughly West – East wiggly line from Runcornish, to Grimsbyish. Sheffield is of course included, it’s incontrovertible. Chesterfield, not so much. As for Hendo’s, would you really put Worcestershire Sauce on your meat and potato pie?

Digby

Still supporting my M62 line

The Kingdom of Northumbria used to extend down to Sheffield – Meersbrook to be precise, so I always tend to think that anything South of Heeley is ‘The Midlands’

Bits of North West Sheffield used to be part of West Riding, so they must be part of the North surly … and lots of what is now Southern Sheffield used to be part of Derbyshire – so definitely Midlands …

Manchester, Liverpool and Sheffield are all pretty close lattitude-wise so since Manchester & Liverpool are defined as the ‘North-West’ then Sheffield must also be in ‘The North’ … well the Northern part of it anyway! 🙂

Stuart Maconie once suggested that the ‘North’ began at Crewe – I reckon there is some mileage in this.

Quite like the idea of the M62 though! and according to my friends up in Newcastle etc, we are all southerners except them!

gordimhor

Perchy 😁

For the next 3 months or so I live here

https://youtu.be/_w9sCTtZ9EA

Esme
    Free Member

The BBC did a couple of interesting radio programmes on this subject in 2012, based on the socio-economic line from Grimsby to Gloucester (as shown in scu98rkr’s map above).

Episode 1  Cleethorpes to Coventry

Episode 2  Warwick to the Severn

eddiebaby
    Free Member

tuboflard

Well the Government must know, having set up Transport for the North at some considerable cost (£70bn is their total budget I think) they have an accompanying map to show where “the north” is. Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, Hull and Doncaster are all in. Crewe, Chesterfield and Grimsby are out.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Ranos ..no I’m well aware of what I’ve written ..I was perhaps wondering if that would benefit you though ..or maybe you should just stand in the corner for a while with the dunce”s hat on ..

I take it you are from the south ..?😂

tails
    Free Member

I reckon stoke and above but not including Lincolnshire and Wales. Then it kinda stops above Yorkshire where you have the north east. The north west is kind of a forgotten entity except the lakes, does anyone ever visit Carlisle I bet it’s cold up there. This map is good.

https://wikishire.co.uk/map/#/centre=52.744,-0.617/zoom=8

ransos
    Free Member

Ranos ..no I’m well aware of what I’ve written ..I was perhaps wondering if that would benefit you though ..or maybe you should just stand in the corner for a while with the dunce”s hat on ..

You’re aware that you’re conflating the UK and GB, and referencing a hypothetical division that didn’t happen? Most folk, when aware that they’re talking cobblers, would stop. Not you though!

deadkenny
    Free Member

When I worked in Basingstoke, I remember the station advertised certain train destinations simply as “The North” (everywhere else was somewhere London and south of).

hodgynd
    Free Member

Ranos..why you had to get involved in something that didn’t concern you in the first place is laughable ..as already stated I was responding to Drac ..who obviously hadn’t read the article .

My stance is that Haltwhistle is the centre of Britain ..which the article confirms ” depending on your point of view” 

The only one talking cobblers is you old son ..am I supposed to think you are super intelligent now after your last response ..it just made you look a little foolish .

ransos
    Free Member

Ranos..why you had to get involved in something that didn’t concern you in the first place is laughable ..as already stated I was responding to Drac ..who obviously hadn’t read the article .

You seem to be unaware that this is an open forum.

The only one talking cobblers is you old son ..am I supposed to think you are super intelligent now after your last response ..it just made you look a little foolish .

If it helps you to believe that, be my guest.

tjagain

I think its somewhere near Hatfield

muddy@rseguy

Living on the south coast I consider anything north of Crawley to be “the North”

Failing that I follow Stuart Maconie’s sage advice:  the north begins at Crewe station, beyond which point the geology becomes harder, the accents flatter and the climate wilder. And the surface of the M6 turns from tarmac to cobbles

therealthing
    Free Member

You could certainly map this out by the statistical prevalence of people with chips on their shoulder, as demonstrated by some of the loons on this thread.  Funny though.

hodgynd
    Free Member

therealthing…l’m sorry you’ve lost me already with your bollockspeak ..”statistical prevalence ” ..what exactly does that mean ?

northernsoul

statistical prevalence of people with chips on their shoulder,

Are these chips fried in beef dripping? 🐂

deadkenny
    Free Member

I believe mushy peas with chips is also an indicator of being in The North.

tjagain

A mate of mine from Manchester came up to Edinburgh for a party.  He was most put out at being introduced to folk as ” my mate from down south”

Drac

It’s ok Ranos just claiming a town in the Northumberland is the center of the uk makes it so. Guess there’s a lot of flat earth believers in in Haltwhistle.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Wrong again Drac ..I never said UK ..

Get it right ..

While on the subject ..it’s not me saying this it’s well documented ..here is another link for you ..

https://co-curate.ncl.ac.uk/haltwhistle-the-centre-of-britain/

The earth isn’t flat ?..

Who would have believed it ..you live and learn ..

tykebike
    Free Member

Anywhere above the Equator?

Seriously though, the North must include Sheffield – just ask Steve Peat if he is a Southern Jessie.

Drac

Oh sorry. Britain.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 187 total)

The topic ‘“The North” – where is it.’ is closed to new replies.