Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 187 total)
  • “The North” – where is it.
  • ransos
    Free Member

It’s ok Ranos just claiming a town in the Northumberland is the center of the uk makes it so. Guess there’s a lot of flat earth believers in in Haltwhistle.

On the one hand, we have chippy locals trying to prop up tourism. On the other, we have the state cartographer. It’s a difficult choice…

epicyclo

Centre of Britain? Hold on chaps, OS defines Britain as England and Wales, so that would put the centre further south wouldn’t it?

Damn, this is nearly as confusing as finding The North… 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Those in the north know how to spell “centre” 😉

Where’s the North? It’s where it’s at!

kennyp
    Free Member

If a man enters a pub and orders a half pint, and it’s deemed socially acceptable, he’s in the south.

redthunder
    Free Member

My God somebody has looked at the other photos on IG

🙂

“Those in the north know how to spell “centre” Where’s the North? It’s where it’s at!”

epicyclo

whitestone

Where’s the North? It’s where it’s at!

Dunno, it sounded pretty quiet when I was talking to my mate up at Dunnet a few minutes ago. 🙂

matt_outandabout

The North isn’t a place, it’s a state of mind

Page 1 nailed it.

breadcrumb

For me anything below Penrith is Midlands to me.

It does seem odd that people think “The North” finishes below Cumbria.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Scotch Corner A66.

bigjim

Pee stop at the House of Bruar is the defining line for me

johndrummer
    Free Member

South of Sheffield is “East Midlands” so i’d put the A57 as the great divide. Northeast starts at Thirsk, ok it’s in Yorkshire but Herriott was a Mackem-supporting Glaswegian. Northwest is north of M62 & west of the Pennines, as far up as Carlisle.

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s where chips are from isn’t it?

chips for tea.

fish and chips for £2.50.

Chips (editor).

chips on shoulders.

chips for dinner.

Birmingham is the midlands so anywhere above that is North

ElShalimo

The chips on shoulder comment has surfaced quite a lot on this thread mainly by people not from the north. Why is that?

molgrips
    Free Member

Doesn’t it depend on which BBC region you get?

Pigface
    Free Member

Dolgellau is the gateway to Gogland.

rone

I believe mushy peas with chips is also an indicator of being in The North

No doubt and the better the fish and chips. (and the best fish and chips in the country resides in an 80 year old barn in a village in Lincolnshire.)

North is a direction not a location.

As long as you’re heading that way you’re doing okay.

gonefishin
    Free Member

No idea where The North is but it’s fun to refer to folk from Yorkshire and Lancashire as Southerners.

funkmasterp

Do you own google home or Alexa and it actually understands what you’re trying to say? You’re from the south.

therealthing
    Free Member

The chips on shoulder comment has surfaced quite a lot on this thread mainly by people not from the north. Why is that?

Oh, I think you know

rocketman
    Free Member

Was in Mansfield the other week and that’s definitely in the North. Gritty locals, flat caps, whippets, bar eck aslike etc

By the same token a recent visit to Hereford was positively equatorial. Leaves on the trees, lots of apples, friendly relaxed natives.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Talking to some of the guys in our Wandsworth warehouse – anywhere north of the Thames they’re expecting kilts and bagpipes, north of the North Circular is all eskimos and polar bears. (and I’m not joking – there was one guy who started working for us. Mid 30’s and he’d never been north of the river!)

As someone brought up in Leicester, that was midlands. North of Nottighamshire would count as north.

Now as a happy resident of The People’s Republic Of South Yorkshire And The Peak District, I’d say we might still be midlands geographically, but northern in spirit.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Blackflag
    Free Member

I’m from Manchester and i have never been so insulted as when my partner (from Cumbria, living in York) refused to acknowledge me as northern.

I work in London where everyone thinks im a flat cap wearing pigeon fancier.

I live near Chester now so “believe” im on the southern end of the north or the northern end of the midlands.

slowoldman

I live near Chester now so “believe” im on the southern end of the north or the northern end of the midlands.

No, you’re in Cheshire dahling.

fasthaggis

If you buy a really expensive smart watch,it can show you were North is.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Talking to some of the guys in our Wandsworth warehouse – anywhere north of the Thames they’re expecting kilts and bagpipes, north of the North Circular is all eskimos and polar bears.

🤣👍👏

richmtb

Stepps or Bishopbriggs is the start of the North.

Once I’m passed Ecclefechan I’m well on the way to the South

molgrips
    Free Member

there was one guy who started working for us. Mid 30’s and he’d never been north of the river!

Envious in some ways – just think of how adventurous he’d feel just by getting into a car and heading up the M1!

My wife’s family think of themselves as living in the frozen North of the USA (Wisconsin).  Of course there is a whole country more northern and frozen than them – and it’s fun to remind them that they are a lot further south than we are.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Northern England = Macc and above

Northern Britain = Scotland

edhornby

PhilH was right on page 1 – if your hometown is in the KLF song you’re in the club

Nico
    Free Member

Is Crewe in the North?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

In Scotland it’s somewhere south of Inverness because Inverness and beyond is referred to as Far North in the local papers

IHN

Is Crewe in the North?

Just.

andy8442
    Free Member

Chesterfield and above I’d say.

duncancallum

Trough pf bowland is geo central there is a phone box to commemorate it.

North anything above a horizontal line that starts at about Chester/Wales

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

Barnet

jruk
    Free Member

Everything past Taunton is up country. Birmingham is practically the Arctic.

epicyclo

BigButSlimmerBloke

In Scotland it’s somewhere south of Inverness because Inverness and beyond is referred to as Far North in the local papers

Yes, the South starts at Aviemore. Always surprised there’s not palm trees when I venture that far down. 🙂

colp

Quite clearly the North is the East bound carriageway of the M62 and above. As far as I know there’s just a few wildlings living on berries and stuff above Carlisle.

You’ve got the midlands from Stoke down to Coventry but nobody goes there for obviously reasons.

Anything under that is Darn Sarf which you only pass through to head to the Alps.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 187 total)

The topic ‘“The North” – where is it.’ is closed to new replies.