Viewing 27 posts - 161 through 187 (of 187 total)
  • “The North” – where is it.
  • slowoldman

What’s that bit South of the M62 and North of Stoke called?

colp

Nobody knows, but it’s got Warrington in it so nobody cares.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Burnt out carland ?

Fly tippers land ?

Yak

Pea Fritters = the South or Wales

Any variation of pie-barms, or any other doubled-up carb combo = not the South.

Oatcakes, as in soft oaty pancakes with melted cheese = the buffer zone.

niksnr
    Free Member

Isle of Wight here. If you don’t eat ‘nammet’ at lunchtime and live on the North Isle (that’s the mainland to most of you), you’re all Northerners. I’m originally from West Yorks so am keeping up the good work enriching the gene pool here! 😂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Aren’t most residents over 70yrs old??

You may have some issues on the “enrichment” front..

🤣

mikewsmith
    Free Member

enriching the gene pool here!

It’s not a pool it’s a puddle

benp1

Don’t know if this has been posted up already, there’s wonderful piece of greggs-based analysis looking at this

https://thetab.com/uk/2017/08/02/weve-figured-exactly-north-plotting-every-single-greggs-store-map-44385

slowoldman

So once we have determined where the North is we need some analysis one variation within the North.

I give you Ian McMillan on the ‘ouse ‘arse interface.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ljwm4

ransos
    Free Member

In Scotland it’s somewhere south of Inverness because Inverness and beyond is referred to as Far North in the local papers

They can call it whatever they like: there’s no-one there to take offence.

jamesoz

Anything north of Winchester according to the gf. Being from Berkshire makes me a northerner apparently not the fact I was born in Lancashire.

northernsoul

there’s no-one there to take offence

Father in law lives near Thurso. I think that counts as “The North”. NE England feels a long way south, but that might be just the lack of motorways… or even dual carriageway north of Newcastle.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

They can call it whatever they like: there’s no-one there to take offence.

The chippy in Lairg always seems full

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Above the Great Glen is my marker…

But I guess since I am living south of the wall at the moment… draw a line between Lancaster and Scarborough – south of that is the Midlands.  Everything seems to become more “English” south of that imaginary line, and more “Northern” above it until you hit “The Wall” of course….

boxelder

North of lines drawn from:

The Humber to the Mersey = the North

The Wash to the Severn = the Midlands

Anything south is………. the South.

Devon and Cornwall are granted sovereignty as the South West and bits of Herefordshire, Shropshire and Gloucs are ‘Welsh England’

RustySpanner

If you wear a flat cap ironically, you live in the south.

If you don’t wear a flat cap ironically, but get annoyed at North/South threads then you probably live in Scotland, which doesn’t count.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’m really surprised that Newcastle ( toon ..not the southern based under Lyme) gets no mention in the Greggs based analysis ..it is after all where it all started ..

If you don’t know what Stotties & Pease Pudding is then you can’t be proper northern ..

Moe

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but Stuart Marconie has a book, Pies and Predjudice, on the very subject. Not his best scribblings but an interesting read.

gordimhor

Hey epicyclo don’t forget the palm trees in Plockton or should I say Am Ploc

Kahurangi

I skipped a few pages, but I think what we all understand is, nobody really wants the Midlands.

Northerners; “no we don’t want that place, definitely not part of the North, therefore it’s South”

Southerners; “ew, that place has too many Greggs and not enough Waitrose, definitely North. far too grim for us”

Midlanders; “why won’t anybody love me?”

Houns

We’re happy being the Midlands, it’s grim oop North so don’t want to be Northern and the South = Southerners, so don’t want to be Southern. We have the best and most varied countryside (bar coast), we’re happy with our lot, no chips on our shoulders

Drac

We have the best and most varied countryside (bar coast

🤨

perchypanther
    Free Member

We have the best and most varied countryside

Fifty shades of grey?

Pyro

Based on current location, north of the M62 is The North.

Based on upbringing, north of the A66 is The North.

‘The Midlands’ doesn’t exist, it’s just a bunch of places and people that don’t want to admit they’re Southern.

canopy
    Free Member

It starts roughly above Bristol. Which by the way isn’t anything to do with the **** west country either.

West country doesn’t start until you hit somerset, south of bristol. But is also not southern poof-land which is from roughly southampton over to the north sea.

RustySpanner

(and I’m not joking – there was one guy who started working for us. Mid 30’s and he’d never been north of the river!)

In that London, I’ve only been south of the river to museums and the odd boozer.

You may want to die at the hands of The Yeti, not me bruv.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Still the Badlands

Viewing 27 posts - 161 through 187 (of 187 total)

The topic ‘“The North” – where is it.’ is closed to new replies.