• This topic has 884 replies, 162 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jimw.
Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 885 total)
  • The All Night Election Results Thread
  • 5thElefant
    Free Member

but I have a feeling that Neil Kinnock’s son is slowly creeping in and ready to pounce

This. Please this. 😆

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

UKIP polled more votes than Lib Dems and SNP combined. Lib Dems close to double SNP vote. SNP about same as Greens.

Yup, ridiculous isn’t it. And of course fptp means parties lose votes too in unwinnable seats, it’s not just a case of “should have got more seats than they got with this vote”, it’s also “would have got more votes”

ninfan
    Free Member

Binners

Thing is, any arguments they gave, even Redwood, remain utterley defused by a referendum.

Even he couldn’t turn round after one and say ‘ah, but the public are wrong’

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

What I want to know is – assuming we’re generally right that the Tories are about to screw everything up for the nation, assuming therefore that they become less popular than now, assuming that Lab and LD support is massively diminished……… WHO’S GOING TO WIN THE NEXT ONE?!

chewkw
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member

What I want to know is – assuming we’re generally right that the Tories are about to screw everything up for the nation, assuming therefore that they become less popular than now, assuming that Lab and LD support is massively diminished……… WHO’S GOING TO WIN THE NEXT ONE?!

Neil Kinnock and his son with the help from Danish money. 😯

I feel sorry for the once proud Danish people to be ruled by proxy by Dear Leader Neil Kinnock.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

Oh well, back to work now – the carnival is over.
    So you’re not Nigel Farage then? 😀

dragon
    Free Member

We have to get past the fallout from a Greek exit first before a referendum. I think then the EU (Germany?) will be fairly keen to cut a deal with the UK to keep them in the EU.

Much as Binners make not like it I’ve had heard from a few die hard Labour supporters who have known and worked with John Redwood that he is a nice bloke who works really hard for what he thinks will work. You may not agree with him, but by all accounts he works hard for what he believes will benefit the country, and that’s what everyone says they want from politicians.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

Moi, I am a EU fan – in it’s proper format! Freedom of capital, good and services, people etc. Brilliant idea.

dragon
    Free Member

Another thought is this peak SNP? Surely a better mobilised Labour party and a few odd things not going their way and support will start to fall again?

ads678

Voting system is ridiculous though, SNP have 56 seats with 1,454,436 votes.

Libdem = 2,362,551 & 8 seats
    UKIP = 3,835,158 & 1 seat
    Green = 1,139,682 & 1 seat

Bloody stupid system. 😕

chewkw
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Oh well, back to work now – the carnival is over.

So you’re not Nigel Farage then? [/quote]

Or Ed Balls or Ed Milliband … 😆

The two Eds are “gone” but one ball still hanging … :mrgreen:

jambalaya
    Free Member

Who is most likely to become Deputy-PM?

No such post, it was a one-off given to Clegg

@Northwind I think I may well have voted for PR had we been given a choice, Clegg was right AV is a grubby little compromise.

Lib Dems have been slaughtered as they where proven to stand for nothing and gave up all their principals for power.

Kinnock Jnr is married to the Danish PM, I didn’t know that till last night. Excellent, but I wonder how that will work in practice now.

Cameron will hold the referendum (see my thread started tongue in cheek, 2 years to go we’ll all be bored senseless again) and the vote will be to stay in hopefully after Cameron has secured some material changes, eg end to EU sponsored tax evasion by Luxembourg and Ireland, border controls and no freedowm of movement. Revisions to the EU Human Rights Act so we can deport people. That would be a start

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So after their final bitter exchanges after the exit polls (cameron only talked about victory if it’s a majority), will Ed and Yvette be congratulating cameron now?

the-muffin-man

Another thought is this peak SNP?

Probably – unless they start putting up candidates in England!

chewkw
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    Kinnock Jnr is married to the Danish PM, I didn’t know that till last night. Excellent, but I wonder how that will work in practice now.

What the proud Danish people don’t know is that they are governed Neil Kinnock by proxy with his red “mining” policy. Governed by a “miner” … 😆

Danish people will suffer if they continue with her as PM. 😯

Danish govt once bullied Iceland long time ago but see now they are governed by Neil Kinnock … 😆

The Kinnock dynasty is trying to expand like many of the red leaders in world. They always pass on their dynastic ambition.

donald
    Free Member

Voting system is ridiculous though, SNP have 56 seats with 1,454,436 votes.

Libdem = 2,362,551 & 8 seats
    UKIP = 3,835,158 & 1 seat
    Green = 1,139,682 & 1 seat

Bloody stupid system.

We just had a referendum on changing it and the Great British public rejected it. What can you do?

wrecker
    Free Member

Will labour drop balls?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Cameron will hold the referendum (see my thread started tongue in cheek, 2 years to go we’ll all be bored senseless again) and the vote will be to stay in hopefully after Cameron has secured some material changes, eg end to EU sponsored tax evasion by Luxembourg and Ireland, border controls and no freedowm of movement. Revisions to the EU Human Rights Act so we can deport people. That would be a start

You are having a laugh right? They will kick us out and we will end up with deals like the others on the periphery of the EU, they aren’t going to be giving that many concessions anytime soon.

Moi, I am a EU fan – in it’s proper format! Freedom of capital, good and services, people etc. Brilliant idea.

Snap.

chewkw
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

Will labour drop balls?

That depends on the weight of the remaining balls. Yes? 😆

Boris will probably be the Deputy PM …

just5minutes
    Free Member

Choosing Chuka Umunna to be leader of the opposition would be a mistake by Labour. He repeats the mould of privately educated millionnaire metropolitan elite with little real experience outside of a couple of years working in Law.

The Labour party is crammed with people like this. His narrative on economic / business matters has been vacuous to date and reveals a complete lack of understanding of how things really work in the public or private sectors.

Andy Burnham’s not much better. He’s spent months scaremongering about privatisation of the NHS but himself was part of a government that saddled the NHS with £300B of PFI debt, and as Health Secretary spent years refusing to set up an inquiry into Mid Staffs or meet any of the families that were complaining about the terrible treatment of their loved ones – had he listened earlier lives may well have been saved.

mefty
    Free Member

Don’t make judgements on what can be achieved, Germany are in or about to breach their Euro requirements. Their budget surplus has been too big for too long apparently.

allthepies
    Free Member

A reckon a woman will get deputy PM role, but who ?

Theresa May ?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Andy Burnham’s not much better. He’s spent months scaremongering about privatisation of the NHS but himself was part of a government that saddled the NHS with £300B of PFI debt, and as Health Secretary spent years refusing to set up an inquiry into Mid Staffs or meet any of the families that were complaining about the terrible treatment of their loved ones – had he listened earlier lives may well have been saved.

Airbrushing history can be a useful tool at times!

chewkw
    Free Member

allthepies – Member

A reckon a woman will get deputy PM role, but who ?

Theresa May ?

Possible. This is to prevent Boris opening his mouth too often before he become the next PM?

jambalaya
    Free Member

There.is.no.such.position.as.deputy.PM

It was a one off for Clegg in the coalition

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Tom, note the phrase “in its proper form” – it is not in its proper form and you yourself say there will be no reform

allthepies
    Free Member

It may not exist in a specific parliament but it wasn’t created just for Clegg. John Prescott was deputy PM for Blair, Heseltine for Major. It’s a discretionary thing.

ninfan
    Free Member

There.is.no.such.position.as.deputy.PM

It was a one off for Clegg in the coalition

Hestletine and Prescott?

Edit: five seconds Allthepies, five seconds…

allthepies
    Free Member

8)

D0NK

We just had a referendum on changing it and the Great British public rejected it. What can you do?

AV was offered and rejected, PR was never offered. FPTP works for con/lab and their die hard supporters, as the figures from yesterday show, it’s pretty hard to argue it’s not unfair for anyone else.

theotherjonv

Trouble with pr is that no one would ever get a majority again, and if we have to rely on alliances and coalitions they can’t be trusted to do that. Resulting in government that can’t get business done.

Pr would work better if there were only a few parties but we have now so many ‘single issue’ parties, the dichotomy is that they’re the ones who with justification ask for it and would benefit the most, but are the ones that mean it won’t work.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ninfan and @allthepies thanks 😳

Tom Watson has said he would stand as deputy leader of Labour party. I like him a lot, have had the pleasure of hearing him speak on Levinson/Press reform.

mefty
    Free Member

I like him a lot, have had the pleasure of hearing him speak on Levinson/Press reform.

Well that’s a dead duck – thankfully

jambalaya
    Free Member

mefty ?

The British Polling Council has announced an inquiry as to why the polls were wrong and showed so much bias. Government needs to look at taking action on this.

Twritter Link

mefty
    Free Member

Press Reform

unklehomered
    Free Member

Pr would work better if there were only a few parties but we have now so many ‘single issue’ parties, the dichotomy is that they’re the ones who with justification ask for it and would benefit the most, but are the ones that mean it won’t work.

There are top heavy ways of doing PR, and of course there is the preferential system similar to AV which would keep the one constituency:one MP model which I suspect would be harder to break with.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Press Reform

I am shocked you think not reforming the press is a good idea. I freely admit I am a Hacked Off supporter and very interested in the subject, I wrote to my prospective MP (now elected) to ask that they support the implementation of Levinson and the second inquiry which was always planned and which can only take place after all the court cases are complete.

mefty
    Free Member

Can’t see why free speech is hardly a minority view and very sensible commentators like Ian Hislop and Fraser Nelson are against Leveson. I even think Lionel Barber is against it too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It seems UNITE have confirmed they will withdraw from the Labour party and form their own party. Thats a lot of funding plus the loss of MP (ie employee) revenue the financial crises at Labour deepens

old story link

bainbrge

He’s not the only one. Legislation to control abuses already existed, just wasn’t enforced. Labour supported solution had capacity to hinder freedom of press.

Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 885 total)

The topic ‘The All Night Election Results Thread’ is closed to new replies.