• This topic has 884 replies, 162 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jimw.
Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 885 total)
  • The All Night Election Results Thread
  • vondally
    Free Member

Which will be the first local authority to be declared bankrupt?

bencooper
    Free Member

Perhaps we need to spend that a bit better rather than just thinking the solution is to spend more ?

Yes, so investing more to build a proper economy, not one based on property speculation and investment banking would be a good idea.

mefty
    Free Member

What did he do to counter it?

Had a pint with Farage? Don’t know you would need to look at the local campaign to find out or it might be a reflection of him outing Cyril Smith.

ransos
    Free Member

Had a pint with Farage? Don’t know you would need to look at the local campaign to find out or it might be a reflection of him outing Cyril Smith.

I was just curious. All I know about him is the Cyril Smith stuff, so wondered why he did so well.

mefty
    Free Member

Me too, Labour HQ should be too.

EDIT: His wife’s selfies are popular too.

EDIT 2: He did have a pint with Farage and has been saying Labour were wrong on immigration for a lot longer than the party.

binners

so if ed is going, who are the frontrunners to replace him. Yvette Cooper has already been mentioned but who else is there?

Jim Murphy?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

One possible scenario is that with a clear playing field, the Cons may now set to work addressing this issue with more urgency – get the pain out of the way early on in their new term of office.
    IMHO one thing for sure is that we have no right to expect future generations to cover the cost of our current mess.

Oh yeah but we will.

Whilst you pull the plug on education, tackling homelessness and unemployment benefts – all the things that have a huge impact on the young, the Tories will continue to fund the treatment of old **** in the NHS so they can live to 201, they will continue with the various pensioner benefits and they will carrying on pandering to the 50ish lot in higher tax bands who really don’t want to pay more tax.

binners

Can you imagine how please with himself Dave is going to look now? I thought he’d already reached a critical mass of self-regarding smugness. Apparently not

Given how he’s ruled over us minions when he didn’t even have a majority, I expect he’ll now start behaving in a manner that a Roman Emperor would regard as a bit over the top

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Seriously…….Tony Blair.

The Tories are looking for a new leader?
    ..or were you thinking about Farage’s rplacement?

colournoise

dazh – Member
    once the tories redraw the boundaries and reduce the number of MPs they are f***** forever. This is where perpetual tory govt starts, they’re not going to pass up this opportunity.

This. Properly worrying.

ourmaninthenorth

Just listened to David Steele’s assessment of Nick Clegg’s resignation.

I’m pretty sure the LibDems will go through some major defections to Labour and Conservative and are quite possibly finished. DS was right – they’ve gone back decades.

What’s also interesting is that this is a swing to “certainty”, the sort of thinking that drove the two 1974 elections. So the idea of a new politics of greater centre ground consensus isn’t there. It’s a media invention not reflected in the electoral results (though arguably more reflected in the voting patterns).

Labour face a long period in the wilderness, and I predict will work their way through at least another leader before 2020.

Cameron won’t have the easy time the left are predicting, but the obvious fear is the policy lurch to the right to appease UKIP defection threats. It is rather 1992 in that the argument the Conservative party will live out publicly will be about Europe. Only this time with the complexity of internal federalism as well.

binners

I’d imagine that redrawing the boundaries is the first thing on the agenda. Then an exit from Europe

We really are ****ed, aren’t we?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Not time to be smug Binners – he has a really tough job now. Wafer thin majority and an internal coalition where you can’t blame others. Twin deficits, euro chaos coming, week productivity, a NHS pledge to live up to etc.

I will be interested to see if he can outline an actual vision – he remains an enigma to me.

Be out if office for the next five years might not be a bad thing. Politically much harder than the last five years.

Tough on the Lib Dems IMO

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I’ll just leave this here:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7miKIbTrMaM[/video]

20yr old MP. PMQs is going to be a lot of fun.

unklehomered
    Free Member

You know if you this abyss long enough you start to faces looking back at you…

Thinking the results through, the Lib Dem punishment vote has brought about an demonstration of undiluted Tory rule. There’s some irony there.

Secondly, it won’t take many by elections to undo the Tory majority. I’m not sure this will last 5 years.

ourmaninthenorth

Only if you live and work anywhere except London and earn less than £100k pa….

binners

THM – I didn’t suggest the smugness will last long. His biggest problem now will be his real opposition. the UKIP sympathising right wing of his own party, who will now be demanding their completely bonkers vision of a Britain outside the EU becomes a reality.

I will be interested to see if he can outline an actual vision – he remains an enigma to me.

He’ll do what he always does… ask George. Dave is just a figurehead. I don’t think he has the remotest interest in actual policy. He certainly doesn’t have anything resembling a ‘vision’. Osborne writes all the policy. Dave just believes he’s entitled to strut around being PM

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Is bile flammable?

Only one way to find out

ourmaninthenorth

20yr old MP. PMQs is going to be a lot of fun.

Can’t understand a word she was saying.

wwaswas

The Tory MP’s head for Downing street.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

You’re clearly not anybodies man in the north then are you…

mike_p
    Free Member

Cameron’s problem will be controlling his back-benchers with such a small majority. There’s some proper nutcases there who will be perfectly content to cut off their noses to spite their faces if they don’t get what they want.

Nice problem to have though, compared with dealing with the late Lib Dems. And the sooner the electoral reform gets done the better, thus reducing the prospect of ever having another ruinous Labour administration.

Cue the abuse from today’s losers…

bencooper
    Free Member

You’re clearly not anybodies man in the north then are you…

This is the special British meaning of “the north” which really means “a bit north”. 😀

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’d imagine that redrawing the boundaries is the first thing on the agenda. Then an exit from Europe

We really are ****ed, aren’t we

There won’t be an exit from Europe…its (the referendum) just a stick to beat our neighbours into better terms.

ninfan
    Free Member

His biggest problem now will be his real opposition. the UKIP sympathising right wing of his own party, who will now be demanding their completely bonkers vision of a Britain outside the EU becomes a reality

How?

They’ve got no power and can’t demand anything, because they already have the ultimate offer on the table and guaranteed. The historical Tory party rift is healed, because it cannot be settled by internal bickering, it’s all down to the referendum result.

The only important trick for Cameron is avoiding a longwinded referendum campaign, negotiate with the EU and put a decent offer on the table, short as possible.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oh well, back to work now – the carnival is over.

Wait, here’s ed….

Boom, that’s three

dazh

I suspect so. There’s no way we’re staying in Europe. That alone is enough, but I also fear labour are now too damaged to be a party of govt for a good long while.

He’ll do what he always does… ask George. Dave is just a figurehead.

Think I’ve said it before, but a mate of mine who was a lobbyist a few years ago was told by a tory MP that Cameron getting elected last time was an accident, and that Osborne was the real choice to be the next tory PM. Cameron’s job was simply to put a dent into Brown’s majority. It’s no wonder he always looks like the cat who got the cream.

rogermoore

Who is most likely to become Deputy-PM?
    RM.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Anointing Harriet or just a stand in?

midlifecrashes

Ed’s just hoofed Harman in the slats! Best deputy you could have, brutal!

binners

The historical Tory party rift is healed, because it cannot be settled by internal bickering, it’s all down to the referendum result.

I really do think you’re crediting the right wing of the Tory party with a lot more rationality than they actually possess. You are aware that they’re all completely hatstand, an think they can take us back to 1953?

binners

Christ! Even Eds resignation is cringeworthy to listen too

bencooper
    Free Member

Oh ****, is John Redwood still alive?

ourmaninthenorth

I’m not convinced this means an automatic exit from Europe.

The question is the timing for Cameron to hold the referendum – I suspect he’ll need to pump up the housing market first to get us distracted by thinking things are otherwise good (and it not becoming an effective general electron re-run).

camo16
    Free Member

Millifans? Seriously? Wow.

Seriously, one of the worst ‘damn, I lost’ speeches I’ve encountered.

ourmaninthenorth

Burnham – 4:1
    Cooper – 5:1
    Umunna – 6:1

chewkw
    Free Member

Bloody hell it was hard work trying to stay awake so went to sleep … just got up now. Do we have a new govt yet? UKIP? Yes? 😆

Labour should go on bashing / bullying UKIP … Hell Yes!
    I just read all the result crikey what a result … excellent! I like!

SNP got the landslide, yes! They should do better by wiping out the remaining 3 stooges.

Now, back to the other country South of Scotland … Bloody hell … Labour has done worst since Neil Kinnock – woohooo! The UKIP bashing Labour has got their trick very completely outfoxed by Tories! Ya, bashing UKIP is good … 😆

Excellent news that one of the Balls is out. It is much much better than Farage not winning. Good to hear that George Galloway will continue to become reality soap star for foreseeable future earning him big £££. Sad to see Vince Cable gone …

Ohhh … Ed Milliband has resigned 😯 Hell No! Nooo … 😆

The next Labour leader should be Chuka Umunna or Yvette Cooper (Mrs Balls) but I have a feeling that Neil Kinnock’s son is slowly creeping in and ready to pounce.

Make no mistake I think Labour should have Chuka Umunna or Yvette Cooper as the next the Labour Leader. Neil Kinnock’s son should start getting his profile up by appearing more often on telly and he should quote his father more often by bashing Mrs T in her grave and call on the Danish people to invade the nation … in the meaning time they should all continue to bash UKIP … because they can. 😆

Chuka! Chuka! Chuka! for the next Labour Leader. 😛

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Gets a heroes welcome and looks like he’s happy not to be PM.

epicyclo

What are the bets the Tories will now actively support complete devolution for Scotland, and thus cement their huge lead in the rest of the UK?

Milliband and Clegg don’t seem to realise why they lost.

scaled
    Free Member

Bugger, Julian Huppert gone. That’s the cycling off the national agendy

Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 885 total)

The topic ‘The All Night Election Results Thread’ is closed to new replies.