• This topic has 884 replies, 162 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jimw.
Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 885 total)
  • The All Night Election Results Thread
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

@mefty, its not about restricting free speech its about holding the press accountable to a regulatory body which has authority. Of course Hislop is against it he’s constantly in court as a result of printing stuff which isn’t true but only the rich can afford to challenge Private Eye. With a proper regulatory body anyone could do that. You’ve had institutionalised phone hacking, payments to police, prison officers and serving members of the military (all public officials who it’s illegal to pay)

brooess
    Free Member

Boris must be rather unhappy at the result. A poor Tory performance would’ve had them looking for a new leader… but now Cameron looks like somekind of miracle worker saviour (although it’s probably got more to do with Gideon’s machinations stoking house prices tbh)

Junkyard
    Free Member

A Number of whom have been sent to prison for this and yet not one journalist
    A rare subject we agree on
    IMHO the Press take the piss
    Milliband tried to take them on/warn them/curtail them and look how they handled him and the respect he got !!!

We had a review just implement what it said.
    The press will retain freedom what they will be asked to do is use it responsibly.
    Clearly they cannot do this without regulation.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Nah, Boris has been given the ideal hand, CMD takes the ST plaudits. That puts May and Osbourne on hold for a while. The latter will then have to implement some real austerity (perhaps?) while the latter represents cock-ups waiting to happen. He behaves himself as an MP, builds external image and support and then fires hist starting pistol at the appropriate moment.

He might have learned from Sturgeon about the dangers of showing ones hand too early

aracer
    Free Member

Tory leader of the local council has just lost his seat 😀 Hopefully that’s a sign of things to come – my local councillor is likely to be new leader if it is.

jambalaya
    Free Member
    jambalaya
    Free Member

Cabinet posts being accouned. Osbourne remains chancellor plus some other title First Secretary of State ?

Twitter LInk

Rockape63
    Free Member

331…wow that really is something. I have to say, after this campaign, no one is ever going to listen to the pollsters, media ever again.

A complete pile of horseshit!

Anyway happy weekend everyone…..even JY. 😉

mefty
    Free Member

Of course Hislop is against it he’s constantly in court as a result of printing stuff which isn’t true but only the rich can afford to challenge Private Eye.

You are living in the 80s, Private Eye is hardly ever in court these days and it exposed superinjunctions so I am pretty comfortable in their company. We also have some of the most draconian libel laws in the world and there is a new regulator which is much more powerful. The fact that you and JY agree provides considerable comfort that I am on the right side of the debate. No point in rehearsing the arguments again, but you are free to waste your money on a lost cause.

On the trials, phone hacking was illegal, it was a failure of the police not the law. Re Public officials, loads of journalists have been to court and they have been found innocent because they did no wrong, the public officials did.

On Boris, he needs to build a parliamentary base to have a chance as he needs to get into the top two, which will be a very big challenge, this will take time which he now has.

jambalaya
    Free Member

ex Labour MP putting Labour’s loss in Southampton (seat they held in 2005) to UKIP voting

“The truth is that we were defeated not so much by a surge in new votes for the Conservatives but our failure to win back some of the people who have been Labour voters that didn’t vote for us in 2010 and clearly, from the figures last night, a significant number of them went with UKIP.”

Have a great weekend everyone, off to the pub for a swifty …

Junkyard
    Free Member

Anyway happy weekend everyone…..even JY

I will need more than a weekend to get over this

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Yep, maybe the deal has already been done (especially as Dave said in an interview this would be his last term as Prime Minister).

Boris gets a few years to get his network of supporters sorted, Dave ‘retires’ gracefully after three years to allow the next Con leader a chance to get used to the job, no acrimonious backstabbing to bring any skeletons out of the cupboards.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Happy five years, Junky!

😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Plans revenge against the CPT

edward2000
    Free Member

People protesting in my girlfriends library this afternoon and in front of the town hall in Manchester.

The lefties are so intolerant of anyone with a different opinion. I thought the left was about diversity and tolerance (when it suits them!)

ononeorange

See you all. A terrible,bterrible five years to come. Wish you all the best and hope you can find a way through somehow.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

The lefties are so intolerant of anyone with a different opinion. I thought the left was about diversity and tolerance (when it suits them!)

The right are supposed to be about diversity ad tolerance too. I.e. civilised?

edward2000
    Free Member

^ Just like the terrible 5 years passed. With Job creation and a growing economy and a defecit drastically reduced. Labour lost. Get over it

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

People protesting in my girlfriends library this afternoon

I hope they did it quietly.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Was as if Labour didn’t really want to win, what with Millipede you wouldn’t trust to run a bath and the recycling of the Blair tainted Ed Balls, like a double dose of branding Ebola.

Still we get the other shower of w@nkers for another 5 years wonderful. I wonder if they will make the pips squeak this time round, we are all in it together and never had it so good after all.

chewkw
    Free Member

chestercopperpot – Member
    Still we get the other shower of w@nkers for another 5 years wonderful.

Oh c’mon be a good sport Tories win the election not Labour. 🙄

When are you going to be converted to Tories … 😛

robowns
    Free Member

^ Just like the terrible 5 years passed. With Job creation and a growing economy and a defecit drastically reduced. Labour lost. Get over it

+1
    According to my Bloomberg screen, every market in Europe today agreed that Tories were the way forward.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Markets like certainty that is why they were up.

See what happens as we near the EU referendum to see the opposite in action.

bencooper
    Free Member

According to my Bloomberg screen, every market in Europe today agreed that Tories were the way forward.

I really could not give a flying **** what the markets think. They got us into this mess in the first place.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I thought the left was about diversity and tolerance (when it suits them!)

Well protesting adds to the diversity of reaction to the event and they did not riot so looks like they tolerated the result

What exactly is your point ? You seem to have proved some folk were happy some were not and they all obeyed the law

robowns
    Free Member

I really could not give a flying **** what the markets think. They got us into this mess in the first place.

Lol – did they really, bloody markets.

chewkw
    Free Member

bencooper – Member

I really could not give a flying **** what the markets think. They got us into this mess in the first place. [/quote]

Easy! Easy! (voice of Jar Jar Binks)

Freeddomm!

😆

edward2000
    Free Member

Well protesting adds to the diversity of reaction to the event and they did not riot so looks like they tolerated the result

What exactly is your point ? You seem to have proved some folk were happy some were not and they all obeyed the law

It’s quite ironic to protest the result of a democratic outcome

bencooper
    Free Member

One thing that did amuse me about watching last night – the way that, even without the rosettes, it was usually obvious which was the UKIP candidate.

robowns
    Free Member

Markets like certainty that is why they were up.

And agreed, wise comment – up moreso than would be the case with a Labour government (according to articles I’ve read through the day, obviously speculation to a degree).

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@chewkw – yeah they won alright.

Only if they sell Britain, well Scotland, to a foreign syndicate as a slave colony 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

bencooper – Member

You mean the market isn’t always right ?

Are you sure ?

robowns
    Free Member

You mean the market isn’t always right ?

Are you sure ?

Do you think it will be another 10 or 15 years before Labour have a genuine chance for another crack?

chewkw
    Free Member

chestercopperpot – Member

@chewkw – yeah they won alright.

Only if they sell Britain, well Scotland, to a foreign syndicate as a slave colony

Ben! Ben! Ben! Ben! Ben! (Alan Patridge shouting out)

Bencooper! Bencooper! Bencooper!

chestercopperpot wants to enslave you!

Stone him/her quick!

He/she wants to have a slave colony …

😆

jimw
    Free Member

Just seen Toby Young on C4 news. What an appalling specimen he really is. I had read a lot of his bile in the Telegraph, but never seen him on TV before. God help us all if he is the modern face of the Tory Party supporter

aracer
    Free Member

Has Paddy Ashdown eaten his hat yet, or is that another broken promise by the Lib Dems?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So just seeing the final totals, 33.9% didn’t vote, thats more than actually voted Labour, whole thing could have been very different. I hope all those out protesting did actually bother to turn up and vote and are not just being angry because…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and the perfect morning after the night before pic

ninfan
    Free Member

I hope all those out protesting did actually bother to turn up and vote and are not just being angry because…

because they all did what Russell Brand told them, and didn’t register to vote because democracy was a sham and they wanted to join the revolution… Unfortunatley when he thrn changed his mind and told them to vote for Ed it was too late for them to register 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 885 total)

The topic ‘The All Night Election Results Thread’ is closed to new replies.