Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 1,802 total)
  • Thatcher's died according to BBC
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

She might well have felt sure of victory, but she should not have been surprised of just how cold and ruthless Tory politicians can be.

I would have expected her to be fully aware what sort of animal a Tory is.

Her apparent self-confessed inability to get over or forgive her plotters suggests otherwise.

BTW aracer, I found it hugely satisfying making that point, thank you for giving me the opportunity to make again 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

No worries ernie. I’m sure Labour politicians are lovely cuddly people who wouldn’t dream of stabbing each other in the back.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m sure Labour politicians are lovely cuddly people who wouldn’t dream of stabbing each other in the back.

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. Tory values have insidiously crept into the Labour Party in recent times. Haven’t you heard ?

bencooper
    Free Member

This state funeral has made me lose a lot of respect for the Queen – I highly doubt she’s so naive to not know how divisive the issue was, so it looks an awful lot like a deliberate political statement.

Clement Attlee, who founded the NHS and the welfare state, had a small private funeral. Thatcher, who wanted to destroy both, gets the Queen paying her respects.

It’s another not-so-subtle reminder that we’re her subjects and we should know our place.

aracer
    Free Member

How much say did the queen have in the matter?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Too much obviously.

bencooper
    Free Member

How much say did the queen have in the matter?

We’re told she’s been an adviser and confidant for prime ministers for 60 years – are you really saying she couldn’t say privately when asked that she didn’t think it was appropriate?

Either she’s stupid, naive and very badly advised, or doing it deliberately. None of those possibilities are particularly impressive.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Weren’t we still classed as subjects on our passports till not long ago?

Shame we never finished the civil war off properly. Should have butchered every last royal like the French did so they didn’t have a chance to try and claim legitimate power again.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Either she’s stupid, naive and very badly advised, or doing it deliberately.

I’m going for “doing it deliberately”.

aracer
    Free Member

We’re told she’s been an adviser and confidant for prime ministers for 60 years – are you really saying she couldn’t say privately when asked that she didn’t think it was appropriate?

True, but there is a bit of a juggernaut going on here – which has surprised me a bit (though to be honest I’ve been trying to avoid the news, which may explain me being even more misinformed than normal). Glenda was rather outnumbered.

mefty
    Free Member

I doubt it is a political statement because it would be contrary to everything she has done for 60 years. I think it is most likely to recognize our first woman prime minister, however, the reason whatever it is should be made public so it is not misconstrued as a political statement.

binners

Thank god for Glenda Jackson, for saying what needed saying!

The pathetic, competitive toadying of a succession of chinless strokers was one of the most nauseating things I’ve ever had the misfortune to witness.

But I feel our democracy is a little bit diminished today as one voice of tribute was sadly absent….

It’d have been worth all the expenses claims to hear what The Beast had to say on the matter

Lifer
    Free Member

Good assist from Bercow as well.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

History is a very good guide as to whether the Queen is stupid, naive, badly advised or prone to doing (the wrong?) thing deliberately. And the answer IMO is pretty definitive. Given her own views (and example) of duty and service, I would suggest that she feels it appropriate to mark the passing of the longing serving PM of her reign. The Firm are good at the “respect” bit.

Lifer
    Free Member

Naive in this instance.

DrJ

Instructive that Glenda Jackson’s speech was constantly heckled by the same braying Tory asses who demand respect for Thatcha.

charliedontsurf

Thatcher lacked compassion and that was the core of many complaints.
    Belgrano
    Miners
    Poll tax
    Care in the community
    Homelessness
    Social housing sell off.

The people who didn’t like her tend to have compassion themselves, so I won’t be dancing in the streets, an old lady is dead, so what? Thatcher died when she was pushed out.

I won’t be dancing but I will say what I like. The attacks against people who criticsised her this week are vile and suppressive. Just because she is dead we don’t change the freedom of speech. My 13 year old daughter said if we if we can’t speak ill of the dead that gives Hitler an easy ride in the history books.

aracer
    Free Member

The people who didn’t like her tend to have compassion themselves

There’s a certain amount of evidence which would suggest otherwise.

hora
    Free Member

My 13 year old daughter said if we if we can’t speak ill of the dead that gives Hitler an easy ride in the history books.

Whats that got to do with Thatcher?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

He made the point in fairly plain english which I had no problem understanding, have another go :

I won’t be dancing but I will say what I like. The attacks against people who criticsised her this week are vile and suppressive. Just because she is dead we don’t change the freedom of speech. My 13 year old daughter said if we if we can’t speak ill of the dead that gives Hitler an easy ride in the history books.

I’m sure you can handle a couple of minor typos.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Not sure if anyone listened to Brian Moore (rugby chap) on the Radio last night. I’ve always hated the man but I’ve found new respect for him after what he said.

binners

When the cruel, heartless, guffawing little lord Fauntleroys that make up the present Tory party respect the dignity of the poor, the disabled and the working classes, then I’ll afford the respect to that harridan they’re presently demanding I should

Wacko – I heard that and agreed with him completely.

It demonstrates the pure arrogance of Tories that they just expect us all to observe a minutes silence for ‘their’ former leader. Why? Because they said so, that’s why! Know your place and do as you’re told, peasant!

paulwilsonmtb
    Free Member

I thought it was interesting that several rugby clubs have announced they are to do a minutes silence this weekend, but nothing similar has come from any football club as far as I know.

I can’t imagine such a thing would go down too well at the Liverpool game.

Politics should be kept out of sports.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I have some admiration for “game old birds” who still demonstrate the courage of their convictions. It must be very hard when your are decades past your prime (acting as if you were the Queen yourself), when many people were too young to remember you at the height of your powers when you led your chosen field, when your participation rates are now below those of your peers and you may feel a periphery figure when once you were central. But still you fight on, speak out for matters that are important to you and despite your waning rhetorical powers can ignore the baying mob trying to heckle and rudely silence you. Anyway enough of Glenda, what was the topic again? 😉

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Never foregt, never forgive.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Politics should be kept out of sports.

Why ?– its part of life isn’t it —

binners

I can think of 96 very good reasons why most football fans, not just scousers, wouldn’t observe a minutes silence for her

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah the **** winky returns at the end of another load of impertinent 😉 patronising drivel.

aracer
    Free Member

I thought it was interesting that several rugby clubs have announced they are to do a minutes silence this weekend, but nothing similar has come from any football club as far as I know.

Thatcher supporters would have to be pretty thick (cue obvious comments) to suggest a minutes silence at a footie game. TBH I’m surprised such a thing is being done at a rugby match, and will be interested to see what happens.

hora
    Free Member

I think Millibands eulogy in the house of parliament was brilliantly balanced yet respectful. Whoever wrote that is bloody good.

charliedontsurf

My 13 year old daughter said if we if we can’t speak ill of the dead that gives Hitler an easy ride in the history books.

In really simple terms:
    Thatcher was a leader of a nation, and is dead
    My daughter was observing the media, and how critics are being treated, and made a comparison.

Just because someone is dead, it does not mean that you can’t criticise them.
    Feel free to criticise hitler, thatcher, Jesus or John Lennon. It’s a freedom we have.
    Using BS political correctness to suppress views is in fact not politically correct in any way, it’s just the knee jerk reaction of people offended by other people’s views, ( that’s great you have the right to offended)…. Or it is an orchestrated response by people/organisations with an agenda.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

F*+** me like ~@£$% me completely. I though i’d got all this out mys ystem then I erad that Sir Mark Thatcher, that’s SIR **^%ing SIR mark @$**ing THhatcher has opened that flapping chinless cakehole of his and said something. Mark “Mapman” thatcher who got a knighthood for what exactly, getting lost? trynig to overthrow the government of an African state? being such an upstanding, model citizen that neither America nor Monaco want hime.
    Big Eck says yes, because as obnoxious as I find the toad faced little toady, **** me this whiole ***ing thing is showing em what a self-serving bunch arsewipes we have in westminster – Glenda jackson excepted.

EDIT **** me, I need a lie down and a cup of tea.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think Millibands eulogy in the house of parliament was brilliantly balanced yet respectful.

Not a fan of his by any stretch. But as leader of the opposition, he had no choice other than to be respectful. The Tory rags would have had him for breakfast had he been any other way. Thankfully, Glenda said what we hope most labour MPs might have felt. Though, it doesn’t seem to have impressed some impertinent right wingers who AFAIC wouldn’t be fit to lace her boots.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Likely to be number one this week.

paulwilsonmtb
    Free Member

The Reading chairman (a high-profile donor to the Conservative Party in the past) is one calling for a minute’s silence. Reading play Liverpool this saturday. It is the anniversary of the Hillsbrough tragedy on Monday.

Good luck with that, Mr chairman.

El-bent
    Free Member

Or it is an orchestrated response by people/organisations with an agenda.

You can’t criticise their god, even if she was a dog.

hora
    Free Member

Not a fan of his by any stretch. But as leader of the opposition, he had no choice other than to be respectful. The Tory rags would have had him for breakfast had he been any other way. Thankfully, Glenda said what we hope most labour MPs might have felt. Though, it doesn’t seem to have impressed some impertinent right wingers who AFAIC wouldn’t be fit to lace her boots.

Kidding me? He was well within his rights to say anything with a polite edge. He would have won over alot more fans to Labour by being polite but fairly blunt.

He took the Gentleman’s route.

binners

BigButSlimmerBloke. I thought much the same as you on seeing his smug, charmless mug on the news. If you ever wanted to sum up, in a nutshell, absolutely everything that is wrong with the honours system, then the words SIR Mark Thatcher does it nicely. The smarmy corrupt ****!!!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I heard the pitbill on R5 yesterday. Blunt as ever – the minutes silence thing (rugby v football) in his opinion is simple class issue. He was not a Thatcher fan and expressed his intention to leave his seat during the silence. For which he received abuse on twitter etc.

IMO the minutes silence thing is in danger of being overused. And this is a case in point. There are plenty of other options for those who wish to pay their respects, to do so.

grum
    Free Member

History is a very good guide as to whether the Queen is stupid, naive, badly advised or prone to doing (the wrong?) thing deliberately. And the answer IMO is pretty definitive. Given her own views (and example) of duty and service, I would suggest that she feels it appropriate to mark the passing of the longing serving PM of her reign. The Firm are good at the “respect” bit.

The Queen is carrying out a massive PR coup for everyone’s favourite PR man. And surprisingly another Tory agrees with the decision.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 1,802 total)

The topic ‘Thatcher's died according to BBC’ is closed to new replies.