Viewing 40 posts - 1,761 through 1,800 (of 1,802 total)
  • Thatcher's died according to BBC
  • johnners
    Free Member

Is it one of those dodgy stats that include costs that would have been incurred anyway, like the salaries of all the servicemen

In that case I’d like a couple of them for a few days to sort out my decorating. I mean if we’re having to pay their salaries anyway…

airtragic
    Free Member

I can’t guarantee the quality of the workmanship, or that nobody will draw a cock and balls anywhere.

Northwind

It’s alright, if you get 700 of them along, all the cocks and balls will blur together into a perfect finish.

<edit- that really doesn’t sound right>

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    just4fun
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    Those that oppose her should be grateful that they have had it so good for so long. Without her they would have to bow to Dear Leader who would demand them mining (including alien probing …) every ounce from the coal mine to pollute the world. Mind you this would free up NHS resources because most would simply die young mining in the pit.Yes, it’s rather parasitic when the workers kept demanding more money while non of their produce could sell apart from forcing the domestic market to absorb them. Yes, everyone can start a loss making company and you do not need a genius to do so.If you really oppose her than please bow down to the Supreme Dearest of the Dears, King of all Dears and God of maggots because there are no other alternatives. What? Another Dear Leader? Where?

Sorry,
    Erm..
    What?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Which bit don’t you understand just4fun ?

hoodie
    Free Member

No ones blaming foot/kinnock for being useless in opposition ?…his falling over on the beach just about summed him up.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

for me you can sum up the choice of electoral politics as lots of turds on sticks, some have a sugar coating,some do not-but they are all shit essentially.

Junkyard
    Free Member

No ones blaming foot/kinnock for being useless in opposition ?…

well i tend to not blame the opposition for what the governement does but that might be just me.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

just4fun, I think what chewkw is trying to suggest is that, if it were not for Margaret Thatcher, we would all be living in a sort of European version of North Korea.

I think that’s a tad harsh – my recollection of the 1980’s is that “King” Arthur Scargill and his fellow-travellers were big fans of the Soviet Union. No doubt they saw that as the future for Great Britain and were bending all their efforts to bringing down the government of the day and subsequently controlling the Labour party to achieve their aims.

Fortunately, Margaret Thatcher was not Ted Heath.

Given the Communist-led trade union’s hankering after Soviet-styled government, it’s ironic that Labour Great Britain was viewed as a complete basket case in the land that they loved so much.

Cecil Parkinson tells how, as the new Trade Minister, he visited Moscow as part of a European delegation and wondered why none of the Soviet representatives wanted to talk to him. Eventually he was told that it was because the Soviet government regarded Great Britain as the “sick man of Europe”. He was told: “You don’t make anything worth having and even when you do manage to make things, you can’t deliver because your workers are always on strike”.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

woppit– you make david starkey sound sane–thats some achievement….

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Flatterer. 8)

konabunny
    Free Member

No doubt they saw that as the future for Great Britain and were bending all their efforts to bringing down the government of the day and subsequently controlling the Labour party to achieve their aims.

I think Scargill would be flattered by the suggestion he is a dogmatist. Certainly that’s not what the NUM currently thinks of him.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

J Hardy “I think it’s inspiring that a grocer’s daughter climbed to the top of the Conservative Party, after marrying a millionaire.”

That’s right every successful woman has never made it on her own. Wow those grapes are really sour…

I would expect that getting into to Oxford and having a career as a successful research chemist and lawyer would mean that you tend move in the the kind of circles where you might meet a successful partner.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

I would expect that getting into to Oxford and having a career as a successful research chemist and lawyer would mean that you tend move in the the kind of circles where you might meet a successful partner.

yes, they tend to seek like minded ‘mates’– not sure that developing ice cream adds to human achievement… but do carry on–

Lifer
    Free Member

surroundedbyhills – Member

J Hardy “I think it’s inspiring that a grocer’s daughter climbed to the top of the Conservative Party, after marrying a millionaire.”

That’s right every successful woman has never made it on her own. Wow those grapes are really sour…

Quite a leap to get that conclusion from the quote, well done.

gordimhor

I wish she had stuck to ice cream

AdamW
    Free Member

I wish she had stuck to ice cream

Yeah, but I don’t think the flavour of ‘sour’ would have gone down too well.

konabunny
    Free Member

Thatcher met Denis before she worked as a tax barrister; Denis paid for her to study law.

Thatcher didn’t meet Denis because she moved in chemistry or academic circles; she met him because she moved in Conservative club circles. I don’t know why you’re so ashamed of Denis’s success or his contribution to her achievement; as she herself said, ” there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families”, and “No-one would remember the Good Samaritan if he’d only had good intentions; he had money as well”.

ononeorange

Did Cecil mention Sara Keays in the same interview?

Northwind

That’s right every successful woman has never made it on her own. Wow those grapes are really sour.

Sometimes, people miss the point by so much that I have trouble believing it’s not intentional… Thatcher fans ofter bring up her background in this way. “Grew up over a shop”- yep, one of the 2 shops her family owned. Likewise “daughter of a grocer”- nobody ever said “daughter of the mayor”. Always choosing terms that make her background seem more modest because it helps the image. Denis Thatcher and her family extensively funded her early political career. Perhaps she could have achieved the same without that, but it’s hard to credit, politics is expensive especially if you spend your early career in hard, losing fights (which she did very well in, but not the sort of success that pays the bills)

So same old- the comment is an objection to the mythologising. It’s not saying that she needed a man to succeed. No doubt at all she’d have been succesful in anything she pursued, she was a powerfully intelligent and driven person. Would she have been PM? Not so simple.

But on that note, point of order:

Her law studies were entirely funded by Denis, so obviously it didn’t contribute to them meeting, and without him wouldn’t have contributed to her meeting others. IIRC she qualified after the birth of Mark and Carol. Same thing- nobody else made her a lawyer, but she was given the support so she could do it herself.

BermBandit
    Free Member

nealglover – Member
    It’s certainly what it sounded like.
    And if it wasn’t what he meant, he only had to say.

What I said was :-

5) Where are the tory boys who were accusing everyone of disrespect? (might be nice for them to admit that as with so many other things their reading of society at large is, was, and always will be totally wrong.)

Which I stand by. If you aren’t a tory boy & accusing everyone of disrespect then it doesn’t apply to you, unless of course you are looking for an argument and choose it to, in which case I’m not interested anyway.

I then went on to clarify the point by stating

…… and I was one who pointed out that actually there was very little on here. Somehow it seems that the apologists view of disrespect is seeing her for the self serving selfish cow that she was, and that wasting £10 million of public money on a disgusting homage to a divisive and deeply unpopular PM is wrong in the current economic climate.

Which I also stand by, in fact there has been remarkably little disrespect at all anywhere, given as I say above, what she was.
    I then went on further as follows:-

Glad you found it interesting, its all I’ve got to say on the subject other than if the cap fits please wear it with pride, but please keep away from me, if it doesn’t you’re welcome any time on a ride or for a drink.

Now I’m not sure of which bit of that isn’t clear, but at this point I can’t be arsed to bother further with it, and if this post doesn’t clarify it for you, then I guess it transpires that you are indeed a tory boy, as the lack of empathy for, and understanding of those around them does seem to be a marked characteristic of that ilk.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Oh awesomes !

I’ve got a stalker.

Don’t flatter yourself.

konabunny
    Free Member

IIRC she qualified after the birth of Mark and Carol.

Wikipedia says that the offspring were born in 1953, and she studied 1951-1953. Doesn’t say exactly what month.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Did Cecil mention Sara Keays in the same interview?

Never ever met the daughter and I read a very moving interview on this from the mother
    What an utterly amoral BREAKS SWEAR FILTER that man is.

SHE was, until six days ago, the young woman who did not exist. Excised from school photographs, barred from class theatrical productions and left off the list of scholastic achievements displayed on her college noticeboard, Flora Keays has been forced, by law, to remain invisible

he also argued fr her to be institutionalised to save money and has nver met her
    article showing him for what he is

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1380529/The-only-promise-Cecil-Parkinson-ever-kept-never-to-see-his-daughter.html

nealglover
    Free Member

Don’t flatter yourself.

I’ll keep mentioning it if you keep doing it 😀

gordimhor

that’s true Adamw, ,really we all know “the lady is not” for churning. ………sorry I’ll get my coat 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’ll keep mentioning it if you keep doing it

Awesomes, I’ve got a stalker
    🙄

bigblackshed

Yeah, but I don’t think the flavour of ‘sour’ would have gone down too well.

that’s true Adamw, ,really we all know “the lady is not” for churning. ………sorry I’ll get my coat

As Mike Harding once said: “She could turn milk, ‘er”

binners

Steve Bell nails it again…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yeah, he’s a complete genius. Why the nation hasn’t bought his collection and put it all in a dedicated museum in a new purpose-built exhibition centre next to St. Paul’s cathedral designed by Prince Charles I’ll never know.

mefty
    Free Member

Has Steve Bell ever done anything good or moderately funny?

allthepies
    Free Member

Binners seems to think so. But these things are very subjective 🙂

Northwind

Steve bell did a series of cartoons called something like Wasps or Life of Wasps, which were fab. Nothing since then really. His caricatures can be good but that doesn’t mean the scripts are (he had Blair so right- as time passed he resembled his Bell cartoon more and more)

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Well, he was in the guardian top 50 in 2003

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It would also depend on what one finds funny, your tastes. Who or what do you find funny?

binners

He does constantly amuse me. He’s no Jim Davidson though, I’ll admit

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Bell is great but I wonder what the genius of Jake Thackray would have written had he been politically motivated – this is an excellent song about hierarchy:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PG6sITiNEs[/video]

Lifer
    Free Member

I did enjoy this one re Cameron’s immigration speech:

grum
    Free Member

I’ve never got it either TBH.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,761 through 1,800 (of 1,802 total)

The topic ‘Thatcher's died according to BBC’ is closed to new replies.