Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,802 total)
  • Thatcher's died according to BBC
  • wwaswas

Another one who feels UK industry should have been subsidised….at what should it have stopped?….when the UK was bankrupt?….blame rampant unionism instead.

More recent governments seem more than happy to subsidise a failed banking system and I didn’t see Unions too far to the fore when all that was going on?

mrmo
    Free Member

Concorde

you do know it entered service in ’76?

Pigface
    Free Member

or old enough to see and understand exactly what she did

+1

The great kick in the balls is yet to come when she is given a State Funeral.

rogermoore

Did you know she was part of the research team which invented soft-scoop ice cream?
    Bit too young and apathetic to really be interested in the politics – so for me it’s an RIP.
    RM.

aracer
    Free Member

as a ten year old I endured the miners strike in South East Northumberland’s mining towns. I can vividly remember having to drag bags of coal scraped off Newbiggin beach and open cast workings, going to the Labour club on saturday mornings for packed lunches for food for the weekend. I can remember having sweet FA for christmas because there was no money coming in. Everyone on our estate was in the same boat and nearing the end of the strike my step dad caved in and went back to work and we endured months of hostility because of this…

So you’re getting your dancing shoes ready for when Scargill pops his clogs?

wwaswas

Returning British rail to it’s prewar privatised state.

[ahem]
    the Railways Act 1993 introduced by John Major’s Conservative government
    [/ahem]

easygirl

I don’t think they would risk the problems a state funeral would cause

Junkyard
    Free Member

As expected the Thatcher haters are out. Most were probably too young when she was PM to really know what she did or like at the time.

Seems the haters are being far more restrained in what they sa that the thatcher lovers – or trolling baiters are being

Gonna be a mixed thread

State funeral will be int[/quote]eresting mixture of pomp and rioting

She was our greatest post 2nd world war PM by far.;

Not even the greatest Tory one tbh

Yes she divided the nation but she took power back from the unions after they had been pandered to for years she put the UK back on the map and was respected world wide. RIP Maggie.

Right wing dictators with heinous civil right records and the SOuth african govt – she opposed sanctions and called Nelson Mandella a marxist terrorist – certainly respected her

So you’re getting your dancing shoes ready for when Scargill pops his clogs?

wow no subject or personal story you wont troll 🙄

Moses

She hastened the UK’s decline by favouring the city over industry. She destroyed communities and sold off North Sea oil to pay for them.
    Thatcher marked a turning point in the welfare of the ordinary working people – her destructive methods continue.
    The bitch is dead.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

funny, this hashtag is causing a bit of confusion on the old twattersphere

#nowthatchersdead

footflaps

Taming of the US and the subsequent fall of Communism

Are you serious?

What evidence is there for the US being tamed?
    As for Communism falling, they just couldn’t afford the arms race with the US, nothing to do with Thatcher.

IanMunro
    Free Member

State funeral will be interesting mixture of pomp and rioting

Indeed. I wonder how they’ll do it.
    Might have an extra pint of milk this evening.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Another one who feels UK industry should have been subsidised….at what should it have stopped?….when the UK was bankrupt?….blame rampant unionism instead.

WTF are you talking about? Do you honestly think the Americans/Chinese/Indians/Germans/French ect etc etc are playing a straight hand in that context??

Presumably you don’t think the financial sector were being supported by her policies either?

In which case the next time you lose a tooth make sure to put it under your pillow.

binners

She, and what her ilk created, sat like a malignant, cancerous tumor at the heart of our society. She unleashed everything that has left this country as ****ed as it now is. The banking crisis/bankrupting the country, and rampant Victorian level inequality are all part of her toxic legacy

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Returning British rail to it’s prewar privatised state

As pointed out above, it was after her time, but she did sow the seeds at the very least.

oh, and isn’t the privatised system we have now simply wonderful? 🙄

Perhaps if ‘profits’ were plowed back into the railways rather than shareholders and exec’s pockets things would be better. Yes it wasn’t great back then and needed a bit of a sort out, but now it’s all about profit for the rail operators

soobalias
    Free Member

i never rode with the guy, but i think i bought from him on the classifieds, seemed decent enough to me.

happy trails Thatcher, Ride In Peace.

Tom-B
    Free Member

….and she fathered David Cameron, don’t forget that one!

Junkyard
    Free Member

and a underclass

oh and of course she encouraged people to sign on the sick to get them of dole figures [ today the coalition are re assessing the long term disabled etc]

I dont think we had shit hole sink estates prior to thatcher or totally **** and ruined towns and areas

She was divisive and she did not care

unklehomered
    Free Member

Time for a Thread Lock Sweepstake I think. Entry is £5. Winner takes all – in the event of a tie, the Higher value takes it eg. closed at 13 pages between 11 and 15, 15 would win.

place your bets by Pay pal gift. 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

EDIT

butcher

I’ve spent my entire life in old northern mining villages and I really don’t care too much about what Thatcher did 30 years ago. The tories are still here today creating all kinds of damage.

konabunny
    Free Member

she put the UK back on the map

Allowing British territory to be seized by a foreign power (Falklands); allowing British territory to be used as an American missile site; allowing British territory to be used by secret agents of a genocidal regime to source weapons in breach of sanctions, and then interfering with the prosecution (Coventry Four); allowing a foreign government a role in managing domestic UK affairs (Anglo Irish Accords); allowing British territory to be used for revenge air attacks which she herself believed to be illegal (US bombing of Libya); handing British territory to a foreign power when there was no obligation to do so (second part of Hong Kong); joining the European Exchange Rate Mechanism (which led to Black Wednesday)…yeah, she really did put the UK back on the map.

ThePinkster

but can I summon the energy to still feel that burning anger of 30 years ago? Possibly not.

I can. I lost my job 3 times and was on the verge of bankruptcy due to her ‘well thought out’ policies.

And don’t forget that she declared ‘Society dead’. The repercussions of her & her cronies actions are still being felt today.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m going for 9.

Moses

Hey Tucker:

Concorde
    The Falklands
    Taming of the US and the subsequent fall of Communism
    Returning British rail to it’s prewar privatised state.

Concorde, given the goahead by a technologically interested labout government,
    The Falklands: invaded because Thatcher cut the support for the territories, giving Argentina the idea that we didn’t care. She screwed up, the forces dug her out.
    She turned us into a US poodle. I remain convinced that agreements she signed to get help for the Falklands have resulted in the UK’s support for invading Iraq & ;Ghan.
    As for her role in privatisation: we haven’t benefitted at all.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Her de-regulating the financial industry and allowing solicitors to advertise turned out really well didn’t it?

aracer
    Free Member

I’m just wondering what bad news will coincidentally be released today? Any economic figures due out?

kimbers

i wont celebrate the death of another but ill not be shedding a tear – poll tax, miners, pension holidays, pinochet, hillsborough coverup…….

all though all the news channels are full of it , a war on the korean peninsula is about all that can save us from constant fatcha in your face

her grave will need some serious protection, and possibly some wooden stakes on hand just in case

brakes
    Free Member

I’m not sure her passing warrants celebration, it’s not like she’s had any influence in the recent past, and that anything will change. Will people actually be drinking to her death this evening?
    Perhaps we should be thankful that her passing means an end to the constant longing for her death.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’ve read that she’s going to buried rather cremated, as the lady’s not for burning.

derek_starship
    Free Member

What a stroke of luck.

konabunny
    Free Member

Another one who feels UK industry should have been subsidised

Yes, look at how she stamped on the subsidy junkie arms industry, for example.

easygirl

Surprised thread is still here
    I had a bollocking from mods last time I posted a thatcher thread

skeetsgb
    Free Member

reckon we will get a bank holiday ? not a chance she gave nothing when she was alive and certainly nowt no she has gone thats for sure

dabble
    Free Member

Not really fussed either way by her death.

EDIT: I’ll be fussed if we get a bank holiday.

binners

Will people actually be drinking to her death this evening?

Yip!

wwaswas

Surprised thread is still here

twitter reports from stw indicate that moderation reports have skyrocketed in the past few minutes.

maybe keeping it all in one place makes life easier for them?

footflaps

Wonder if she’ll get a state funeral – that would be interesting to see how many protesters turn out….

konabunny
    Free Member

Kimbers – you’re joking, but some idiot attempted to drive a stake through milosevic’s body:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/06/milosevic_staked/

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,802 total)

The topic ‘Thatcher's died according to BBC’ is closed to new replies.