Home Forums Chat Forum Tell me about G Shock watches

• This topic has 50 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Tell me about G Shock watches
  • MoreCashThanDash

Some Santa money is left over and I’m pondering a watch, possibly a G Shock.

Wanting something fairly scratch proof, waterproof, with a tough strap that won’t stink, or at least be easy to wash. Must have hands rather than/as well as digital display. Not oversized. Up to £100, from a reputable reliable on line retailer.

Seen a couple around £60-70, not sure whether it’s worth spending more, tbh.

Or am I just being lured in by marketing spin and image?

Cheers

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Awsumz.

Toddboy
    Free Member

Had my G Shock watch over 10 years now. Metal case and strap, wave ceptor model with solar power. Tough as old boots and still works perfectly.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Can’t even imagine spending that little on a watch. I spend over five times that just on servicing mine every other year! Watches are supposed to be a statement; what are people going to think of you if you’ve only spent sixty pounds on a watch?

DezB
    Free Member

I got a £50 odd quid one from Argos with some vouchers, my only criteria were anolgue style display (yeah, hands) and dual time always on display on the digi readout. Turns out, as well as those things its a tough bugger, pretty much unbreakable and can even be worn swimming in the sea at the sort of temps we had today
    😀
    I’d get another.

Taylforth – good thing about a scumbag watch is you can hide it under your sleeve so the rich kids don’t take the piss!

Slightly embarrassed to say, its this – http://www.argos.co.uk/product/9277126

downshep

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/9025873?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59156|cid:189934525|agid:18091996165|tid:pla-98862017125|crid:77627772085|nw:g|rnd:14185516589946746556|dvc:c|adp:1o6&gclid=CJnSxo22l9ECFWwo0wod088Ayw

RustySpanner

I find mine bulkier, uglier and less convenient than the cheapo Casio jobs, but it’s outlasted four or five of them.

Has had a hard life.
    Still looks like new.

Very, very ugly though.
    I might have mentioned that.
    🙂
    To be fair, the 5600’s are lovely, just like a bigger F91-W, but not analogue.

Local H Samuel had a basic G Shock (with hands) for £40.00 when I had a quick look this afternoon.

If you’re not bothered about the label, Timex do a few models which are quite a bit less bulky and easier to read.
    Nicer looking too.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mine’s been great, same as picture above. I did hear a tale of someone with a g-shock with a funny battery that cost £35 to replace…so he didn’t. But mine was just a fiver to replace.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀 Dez, I was hoping you were gonna have a calculator watch.

Harry_the_Spider

Mine is still going after 20 years of abuse.

Bregante

I’ve had mine (G7700 -£50) since 2004 and have worn it everyday. Other than a bit of the white lettering on the bezel fading, it’s basically perfect. When it does die I’ll immediately get another.

RustySpanner

For special occasions I strap on a ZX81.

Not as inconvenient as you might think, but the 16k RAM pack catches your cuffs, which can be annoying.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

For special occasions I strap on a ZX81.

😀

Man’s first day of wearing Apple Watch to work not going as hoped

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I’ve the same one DezB linked to. No complaints at all, have had it 6 years and haven’t even had to replace the battery

binners

When Vlad and Donald usher in the nuclear apocalypse in a few months time, the only things that will survive it will be G Shock watches. FACT!

cranberry
    Free Member

G-shock solar waveceptor for the win.

Remember to smile serenely when the jewelry wearers tell you how many seconds a day their “watch” is losing and how Omega is giving their watch wallet a $ervicing

dannybgoode

I’ve recommended this before for those that just want a tough simple watch.

Simply brilliant. Bombproof and unlike a G Shock the digits are very clear and easily read in most circumstances.

I have a few wrist baubles as well but this gets worn as much.

Timex Expedition Men’s Digital Watch with LCD Dial Digital Display and Green Resin Strap T49951SU https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CYZOF28/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_qmazyb6ZC4850

irvb

I considered getting a “grown up” watch last year, but instead spent £16 – http://www.argos.co.uk/product/9025873 – still works, but once it runs out I’m still tempted by a Seiko SKX007 – http://wornandwound.com/review/seiko-skx007-review/.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I have this one a 5320. Best watch I’ve ever had. Would go out and get another tomorrow if I lost it.

devash
    Free Member

Spent £££££s in the past on Seiko watches and they all broke. My £65 G Shock solar powered has been going for 7 years now.

Jamie
    Free Member

Until they sort the date out, they’re rubbish.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Can’t even imagine spending that little on a watch. I spend over five times that just on servicing mine every other year! Watches are supposed to be a statement; what are people going to think of you if you’ve only spent sixty pounds on a watch?

Yeah, but the G-shock is perfect for getting out with the guys on a 4x4ing weekend deployment. Rugged enough to take the knocks during reccies, can tell the time easily on night duty, accurate for comms and meets and best of all when we get back into town the civvies all know who we are.
    Bosh! Job done.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Watches are supposed to be a statement; what are people going to think of you if you’ve only spent sixty pounds on a watch?

Can’t work out if that’s a spectacular trolling effort or not?

WTF are you trying to prove with your special watches?

Saccades
    Free Member

Srvb – old skx007 discontinued now, get one quick because the new propex version is silly expensive.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeah, but the G-shock is perfect for getting out with the guys on a 4x4ing weekend deployment. Rugged enough to take the knocks during reccies, can tell the time easily on night duty, accurate for comms and meets and best of all when we get back into town the civvies all know who we are.

I know these men, they need to know the time in 15 different time zones.

And everyday at 5am, they remove their watches and place them next to an East facing external window, so they can receive the automatic “Atomic” time update. Certainly cooler and easier than winding your watch by hand

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I know these men, they need to know the time in 15 different time zones.

Roger that!

tonyg2003

I have a GS 1150 that I ware more than my “watch hater” watches. Keeps perfect time (radio signals) and is solar powered.

redthunder
    Free Member

g-shock gw 500u

well over 10 years now.

🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Can’t work out if that’s a spectacular trolling effort or not?

I was going to ask how you have been here since 2011, and cannot recognise the smooth smokey aroma of Mr Taylforth’s subtle wordplay.

…but then given some of the stuff that gets posted on here, maybe it’s just too damn hard to tell 😀

redthunder
    Free Member

DickBarton

With that kind of thinking, I’d suggest the jeweller is thinking ‘Easy money!’
    I suspect most normal people will be thinking that you have more money than sense.

Given that a watch is intended to tell the time, then why is there a need to spend so much on something that lives on a place of the body that gets bumped/bashed/covered and whatever else?

I reckon £70 on a G Shock and you’ll see plenty of years out of it and it will keep telling the time – if you get a solar version, the battery will never need replaced and you can spend all that extra cash that you don’t need to spend on ‘servicing’ it on better things – you know stuff that doesn’t need to make a statement…

😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀 But I like making a statement; you should see my suit!

redthunder
    Free Member

Solar Power and Atomic

redthunder
    Free Member

and… typical STW’er computer setup and attire 😉

Notice the dedicated buttons on the keyboard for trolling and arguments 😉

CountZero

I’ve got an analog G-Shock, which gains a couple of minutes a month. Which would be fine if it was like my Yema or my Seiko, where you can just turn the hands back, but you can’t, you have to sit with a button pressed in while the hands slowly turn forward twenty-four hours, in order for the date to change correctly.
    It’s a PITA. It was around £70.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Like ‘CountZero’ I’ve got one the same, just like the first image, it’s a Royal PITA! Twice a year, and if ever I take it abroad, I have to sit there waiting for the hands to turn as they only go forwards, get it wrong by a few minutes and you’re back to waiting again, the hands WILL NOT GO BACKWARDS, and I can never remember how to do it when the time comes so have to spend ages looking through the manual. If you get one with anolog hands make sure the hands can be turned backwards …

And, on that note, anyone know which model has hands you can turn backwards, something with a normal winder thing on the side rather than buttons – I have seen one but they never say in the description, anyone have one?

binners

I got so annoyed with having to move the hands forward twice a year, as they don’t go backwards, that I procured some hand grenades and a fully automatic assault rifle and went postal in a shopping centre.

Now I”m in Belmarsh for the rest of my life, and they don’t let me have a watch, so I don’t have to worry about the backwards hands thing, my life is just so much better

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I’ve owned a Mudman for years and its been bob on.

freeagent
    Free Member

Had a basic G-shock for the last two years which I paid about £60 for on Black Friday.
    It has lead a hard life but has been faultless.
    Battery died a couple of weeks ago, £8 to replace at local jewellers.

I work in manufacturing/Engineering/Defence and the G-Shock appears to be a badge of office – I think the Royal Navy could keep Casio going for ever.

It is quite big/bulky, but luckily I have big manly arms so can carry it off. ;o)

If/when it eventually dies, i’ll buy another.

BillOddie

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/

Get your g-shock nerd on there.

I have a couple of G-Shocks.
    An old G2000 which is still perfectly functional despite having a rediculously hard life. It just has a few scratches on the bezel. It has the nice screw in back too which makes in weigh a bloody ton.

I also have a GW7900-1ER which I wear the most (modded to swap the faux-torx heads for the plastic “screws” that sit flusher with the bezel as I found the torx caught on stuff).

If I was to get a new one I’d get a Mudman or a Rangeman.

If you absolutley have to have hands, I’d go GA-110 of some description.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about G Shock watches’ is closed to new replies.