Home Forums Bike Forum Talk to me about Rocky Mountain bike (specifically Element)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Talk to me about Rocky Mountain bike (specifically Element)
  • DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

I have found an irresistible deal on a new Rocky Mountain Element frame.

It ticks all my boxes of fit, geometry that won’t feel dated any time soon, light, lovely looking and have all parts that fit… too many omens to ignore :)

I have tried scouring online to find what the downsides might be and so far I have come up with the old UK distributor being hit or miss, Rocky want you to solve problems with dealers not them and the seatstay bearing needs an eye kept on it as it is quite small. Apart from that I am struggling to find many negatives about Rocky Mountain or the Element.

What is the current UK distributor situation?

Does anyone have an Element and have any feedback or tips?

Planned build is light but solid parts, Magura MT Trail SL, carbon wheels, Fox 34 GRIP2. That kind of thing. Should be around 25lbs.- all being well.

Ta!

weeksy

I have an RM Slayer… it’s been honestly brilliant. I did have a minor bit of faff when i lost a pivot bold quite early on in ownership, it took 3 weeks to get from Canada and was £20 for what should be a £10 bolt, i guess because they had to ship from Canada. The comms wasn’t awesome.

Other than that, it’s been superb though and built really well.

There’s several dealers in UK, including Reading where my local is and there’s a UK RM as well, but don’t know if that’s a guy at home, or in a shop….

HobNob
    Free Member

I have one, it’s my most ridden bike (as I like short travel, with decent geometry).

Mine is built up with a new Pike & Super Deluxe Ultimate, pretty much carbon everything else & it’s about 26lbs depending on what tyres I run. I don’t tend to run anything crazy light, as I don’t do your typical XC stuff, it tends to get ridden around the FoD on all the stuff I normally ride, just a little more more out of control & sketchy, but on the fast flowing stuff, it is like a little rocket ship.

It’s definitely not a plush 120mm, it feels sporty, but considering the weight for the build, it really doesn’t have any business on the type of trails I ride it on (and have even done a couple of enduro races on it), but thats a testament to how good a bike it is.

I think you have covered the main points there. Minor annoyances for me are a 30.9mm seatpost (as I couldn’t use a post I already had) & if you gave me a choice I would rather a normal, threaded BB, but if I have to have one, then the one it has is the one I have had no problems with on other bikes in the past.

It’s a great little bike.

weeksy

if you gave me a choice I would rather a normal, threaded BB

Yeah my first BB lasted 9 months… To be honest for the £22 it cost me and 10 mins work, i’m not massively unhappy with it. I prefer external/threaded too but wasn’t a deal breaker.

DanW
    Free Member

I saw some activity on “Rocky Mountain UK” socials and attendance at MTB events which suggests a decent level of UK support. It seems to Greenover Sports as they both have the same address.

Glad the Slayer has been going well for you Weeksy!

desperatebicycle

I’d have one of the new Elements in a flash :) My 2015 Instinct is still going strong (unlike me!) and probably nearer to the Element than the current Instinct (130mm travel/ light weight). I’ve had 4 RMs over the years and aside from the first ETS-X cracking (replaced under warranty even though it was 2nd hand ;) ) they’ve been great bikes

DanW
    Free Member

Cool HobNob, thanks for that. I only have a rigid SS at the moment so “Sporty” is exactly what I am after and the idea of having to choose lines or ride a bit more proactively than some bikes is nothing new for me :)

The 30.9 seatpost is fine as I already have an AXS dropper in the right size and length.

BB92 is also OK as I have a Wheels MFG BB which was absolutely solid on a previous Trek frame.

I did wonder about Pikes as the reviews seem to suggest they ride a bit higher and are a bit more “sporty” and “poppy” than Fox 34’s which is what I’d instinctively go for. The frame should have a Fox DPS so I was planning to go with the 34 GRIP2 for a plusher ride (certainly more than my rigid SS :) )

Kramer
    Free Member

Only thing that I have to add to this conversation is that with pressfit BBs, replace them as soon as you think that there may be an issue.

DanW
    Free Member

Tyres seem to a bit of a defining thing for a bike like the Element. What do you guys normally run?

Bontrager XR4 is my usual all rounder go-to. 800g, fast enough for connecting trails and grippy enough in all but the slickest and steepest trails.

DanW
    Free Member

Wheels MFG is the answer to press fit BB’s as both sides screw together to make everything a bit more stable. Easy enough to pop in new bearings when they need it too.

HobNob
    Free Member

Tyres seem to a bit of a defining thing for a bike like the Element. What do you guys normally run?

I have a couple of sets of wheels for mine, as I am not a serial tyre swapper. The very light (1500g carbon WA1 wheelset) has a Dissector/Rekon combo on it (although I run an EXO+ on the back) & a set of XM421’s on 240’s with a set of DHR2’s for more trail days.

I’ve tried a Rekon/Rekon Race setup, but on the type of stuff I ride, it was beyond spicy (and I can flat a sub 900g tyre with stern words).

I do appreciate, I am an outlier for tyres on this type of bike 🙂

schmiken

Schwalbe Wicked Wills are an excellent choice – it’s what I run in my more DC-ish bike.

leegee

22 Altitude here and it’s the best bike I’ve owned. The quality of the frame is levels above the Ibis it replaced.

Zero cycles Setchfield I’m told stock lots of spare parts, I spoke with Greenover and they were very helpful

bonni

I had an alloy element around 2014-2017. I wish I had kept it. For an XC/marathon/trail bike it was pretty handy. The newer versions look even more versatile.

matt_outandabout

Eldest_oab has an Altitude A50.

It is a beast of a bike, carries speed through rough amazingly well.
    Frame has some lovely touches like cable ports, durable paint, it’s straighter and bearings last longer than any other bike we’ve had.
    The mech hanger isn’t cheap and isn’t always available in the UK – he bought one in Morzine.
    It has taken a beating from his riding and two years in refuses to do anything other than work.

Edit: he rides twice a week, two long Alps seasons, races DH and Enduro etc.

IMG-20230707-WA0013(1)

Rocky Mountain Altitude A50

That’s him/RM ahead. Potty mouth video.

DanW
    Free Member

Great to hear so many happy people out there on RM!

As a heads up, RM UK have 40% off all bikes at the moment. That is where I bought the frame. Not too much in stock but some frames and some nice looking bikes left.

https://rockymountainuk.com/collections/all-bikes-sale?page=1&filter_pf_st_stock_status=true

weeksy

That instinct frame is arguably about perfect for me… but at £2399 it’s only £700 less than the SC 5010 whole bike !!! I’d proably go the SC 5010 and sell the Slayer if going down this sort of plan.

DanW
    Free Member

Yep, not cheap cheap but “as good as it gets” cheap. The Element frame for a little over £2000 definitely isn’t cheap but there’s nothing similar in that price range and frame only suits me.

Macgyver

I’ll go typical STW and off topic (slightly).  I bought a carbon Instinct in 2021 and its been brilliant.  Although they brand it as a trail bike it feels much more capable in the big stuff but still fairly spritely on the easier stuff. With a lighter but similar platform/suspension layout I’d think the shorter travel Element would go like stink. I can’t vouch for UK durability mind you as mine is in Texas so doesn’t get ridden in muck.

DanW
    Free Member

I’m very excited now :) Thanks everyone!

mint5auce
    Free Member

A50 Element at a great price from Paul’s cycles here. Will be taking it out for a first spin tomorrow!

(Less its dropper post which was faulty. All has been sorted by Paul’s, but the replacement is in the post.)

Bike looks great!

jonnyrockymountain

What do the carbon element frame weigh anyone know ?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.