Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)
  • Taking children out of school in term time
  • miketually
    Free Member

Are the schools legally able to enforce the fines?

Yes: http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/pupilsupport/behaviour/attendance/a00223868/regulations-amendments (though it’s not the school, it’s the local authority.)

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Ah thanks, I never realized that! However £60 is hardly a deterrent if you could save a few £hundred from your family holiday is it? If they made the fine £500 I bet most people would think twice…

pondo

I think just making them think twice is all they’re after. If your holiday is more important than your child’s education, you’re scoobied anyway.

Always sought school’s permission in the past and it was always granted. Won’t be asking this year.

Good life lesson for the daughter there, on circumnavigating inconveniant rules – nice. 😉

Houns

I’ve just started dating a teacher, I thought about going away for half term as obviously she can’t get time off any other time

Prices are ridiculous, I mean effing ridiculous. Plus as a ‘single man’ with no kids (thank god!) all the parents at work have booked all the holidays up. So even If I could afford to pay the price for a holiday that a week before or 2 weeks after is 4 times cheaper, I can’t get the time off anyway.

So if I can’t get half term holidays off, and she can’t get term time off, when can we go away? Just once a year in summer?

Reason 76253729 not to have children. And reason 1 not to date a teacher

jfletch
    Free Member

Or, people who make changes to their lifestyles in response to having kids?

But people are also under presure to stay at work, it is the modern way. It is not an optioin for a lot of people to lose an income and society expects two parents to work. I’ll admit that the issue is clouded by selfish people wanting cheap holidays though.

Society is changing but education is stuck in the past with practices based on historical religious holidays and a requirement for children to help bring in the harvest. These practices are now re-infoced by well off middle class teachers who can afford to pay a premium for holidays in the summer and who like their long holidays.

The only teachers I see foregoing holidays due to the costs of school holidays are those who like skiing as although teachers are paid well enough to go on holiday in the summer they aren’t paid so well that Feb half term in the Alps is possible.

samuri
    Free Member

At least they would have their chips on opposite shoulders

I dunno, you’d need to ask someone from Yorkshire or Lancashire.

anagallis_arvensis

Society is changing but education is stuck in the past with practices based on historical religious holidays and a requirement for children to help bring in the harvest. These practices are now re-infoced by well off middle class teachers who can afford to pay a premium for holidays in the summer and who like their long holidays.
    The only teachers I see foregoing holidays due to the costs of school holidays are those who like skiing as although teachers are paid well enough to go on holiday in the summer they aren’t paid so well that Feb half term in the Alps is possible.

2/10 Please try harder.

Houns

selfish people wanting cheap holidays though.

Not selfish, and not wanting a cheap holiday. Just wanting a normal priced holiday without holiday companies bending you over and hoiking your thong aside

aracer
    Free Member

Not selfish, and not wanting a cheap holiday. Just wanting a normal priced holiday without holiday companies bending you over and hoiking your thong aside

See my post above about the real cost of holidays. You want a discount one.

miketually
    Free Member

Society is changing but education is stuck in the past with practices based on historical religious holidays and a requirement for children to help bring in the harvest.

The long summer break was linked to the summer closure of the law courts, and the similar closure of Parliament. It had nothing to do with harvests, as we had a pretty urbanised population by the time formal schooling became widespread.

These practices are now re-infoced by well off middle class teachers who can afford to pay a premium for holidays in the summer and who like their long holidays.

As stated above, teachers wouldn’t be averse to changing around the holidays, including shortening the summer break. Switching to five, more equal terms is/has been trialled in some areas.

Of course, a shorter summer break would make many of the problems people having organising holidays in the summer even worse…

jfletch
    Free Member

The long summer break was linked to the summer closure of the law courts, and the similar closure of Parliament. It had nothing to do with harvests, as we had a pretty urbanised population by the time formal schooling became widespread.

Either way it’s historical and not based on the practicalities of modern life.

Teaching as a profession is largely stuck in the past and this is just one example, restistance to evidence based education being another.

grunty
    Free Member

I don’t have kids, don’t want kids (neither does the mrs) so all that will happen is the price will go up for everyone across the board.

I take my holidays outside of school holiday so I don’t have to listen to the little F*****S ruining MY holiday whilst I’m away.

grunty
    Free Member

an before someone calls me selfish – it’s no more selfish than you wanting to take your scrotey sproggs to a far off place on the cheap!

mudshark
    Free Member

If you’re not careful, all the children will dance around your window singing Sourpuss and Grumpyface.

instanthit
    Free Member

Dont think this thread was about opinions on “kids”.
    For those of you who dont have kids and feel the need to make derogative comments about them; you were one once.
    Perhaps you should get your bike out and go play in the woods.

gonefishin
    Free Member

restistance to evidence based education being another.

Can you tell me who is actually suggesting any educational changes based on evidence? It certainly isn’t the current education minister!

mogrim

Perhaps you should get your bike out and go play in the woods.

Maybe, but quietly. Wouldn’t want any noise disturbing the other people who might be enjoying the countryside.

grunty
    Free Member

But the thread is about “kids”. The inflated holiday prices in school holiday are not a new issue. They have been around since people were given time off under the holiday with pay act.

So, if you don’t want to pay inflated holiday prices then you shouldn’t have kids.
    It’s like moving house and living next to an airfield/airport and then complaining that the aeroplanes are making a noise.

You chose the situation, stop f***ing moaning about it!

anagallis_arvensis

Teaching as a profession is largely stuck in the past and this is just one example, restistance to evidence based education being another.

Got any examples?

instanthit
    Free Member

Also chose to take my children out of school in term time, something my wife and i agreed on well before we had kids. Not really moaning about it, as it’s a choice we made. Just dont agree with the current policy.

julians
    Free Member

I’ll take my kids out of school if I want, and if I get fined, then so be it, I’ll pay it.

I reckon I’m a pretty good judge of what will cause a long term negative effect to their education and what wont. I doubt I’d take them out for a whole week at a time, or during their GCSE/Alevel years, but the odd day here and there is probably going to be insignificant.

pondo

I’ll bet you’re sh!t hot at working out when the car needs a service, or when the gas fire needs a clean, or how to do your tax returns or represent yourself in court, too.

Or do you rely more on the advice of trained, experienced professionals for them?

xiphon
    Free Member

Why would I take my car to a garage for a service or talk to an accountant about my tax return – when I can do them myself? 😯

Rather odd examples…

anagallis_arvensis

No examples then jfletch?

julians
    Free Member

I’ll bet you’re sh!t hot at working out when the car needs a service, or when the gas fire needs a clean, or how to do your tax returns or represent yourself in court, too.

yep, I have done all of those, and I won when I represented myself in court.

By the way what does that have to do with whether I take the kids out of school?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Judging by how many people I know that think their kids are “quite advanced” in school and “y’know, leaving the others behind, she’s very smart don’t you know”, when in fact, they’re just like any other kid, it seems parents are often the worst at judging what will and won’t affect their kids’ educations.

pondo

Well, that hasn’t worked too well! The plan was to illustrate how you rely on experts to guide you through the varied minefields of life that require professional insight, but sinxe you know everything about everything, my plan has been foiled. 🙁

scandalous
    Free Member

if their overall attendance is excellent (notwithstanding illness) then the schools should be flexible if the leave period doesn’t impact on key elements of the year / curriculum.

Don’t school grants get based on attendance at certain parts of the year? Obviously head teachers want all bums on seats during those periods.

Alternatively you could change religion as you can take religious holidays off without penalty.

And do the rules apply to academy schools who have opted out of the normal frameworks?? Cant see how they can enforce much if they have opted out of Local Authority control.

Usual stuff – apply common sense and rationality. If there is a genuinely important family event etc meaning you have to miss a few term days then you go. If you get fined then just take it on the chin. I hardly think that you will be upset by that when looking back on your life but you may well be upset about missing something like a large family event or doing something that bonds your family or is just plain old fashioned fun.

screw gove and all his policies. If he or any of his team had been in the profession before being an MP / in government then you may be able to take him a bit more seriously but the guy is a chump. And ugly.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Some people are thick. Maybe they missed some school.
    holidays are not more expensive during the schools holiday periods, they are cheaper when no one wants them.
    As a teacher I completely agree that at times an educational holiday is a benefit but I dare bet that most aren’t. It will be Disney land or some some beach with mum and dad getting pissed.

chewkw
    Free Member

Taking children out of school in term time … What do you lot reckon?

Errmm … do what they like after all they are the parents of the children, just don’t blame the schools or others for their children poor grades if they are absence from school too often.

You cannot expect everyone to achieve top grades otherwise who are going to grow up doing the shitty jobs? hhhhmmm …

johnj2000
    Free Member

My parents live in Spain, only home not second home before you paint yourselves a picture of wealth. We used to take our 2 out of school for two days each year to go and visit their grandparents and experience their life. They live I the countryside in a little village where very little English is spoken, the experience I feel is enriching for the children and for the family as a whole.

This year they won’t be going. They are gutted, we are gutted, but that’s what the government now says is right. They will still see their grandparents as we will fly them over here as two flights are manageable but four aren’t. They will however miss out on the local Spanish folk making a fuss over them and teaching them bits of Spanish, they will miss out on the local wolf park where the cubs they saw last year will have grown. They won’t get to see the massive fossils at torcal, but hey, they will get to do free play and times tables the same as they do every other day.

I’m following the rules but I am bitter.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Why follow the rules so easily. Approach the school with same story. If they say no, then say fine me.
    I wouldn’t so easily back down.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Make sure there’s one of these stuck to the plane.
    Make sure teachers (and everyone else) knows there’s one of these stuck to the plane
    Everyone knows that these let you do anything

DrJ

bending you over and hoiking your thong aside

Ooh that got me quite excited …

ianv
    Free Member

As a teacher I completely agree that at times an educational holiday is a benefit but I dare bet that most aren’t. It will be Disney land or some some beach with mum and dad getting pissed.

🙂

What pisses me off is when Mummy and Daddy then come to a parents evening to discuss what “WE” can do about junior’s under-performance in the exam that occurred just weeks after the unauthorised absence and for which zero preparation happened while he/she was away.

anagallis_arvensis

What really really pisses me off is when little jimmy comes to see you because he’s worried about what he’s going to miss when he goes on a holiday he doesnt want to go on anyway.

samuri
    Free Member

Tell Jimmy that on that week you’ll be teaching children through the magic of XBOX team wars, driving round the playground in the headmasters car and drinking cider.

duckman

samuri – Member
    Tell Jimmy that on that week you’ll be teaching children through the magic of XBOX team wars, driving round the playground in the headmasters car and drinking cider.

Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post

Same old same old at my school.

theocb
    Free Member

Parents should be allowed to decide for themselves obviously!

anagallis_arvensis

You clearly havent met many parents!!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Taking children out of school in term time’ is closed to new replies.