Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Skyline – worth doing?
  • lucien

As per post title really, rode it a few years back and thought it was a bit of a fire road slog, so checking in to see if anything’s changed of late?

Cheers

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not done it in a while but last time I did there were diversions and it was even more of a fire road fest. I think there have been quite a few changes up there recently, sure someone will be along soon with more recent info.

Scamper
    Free Member

Have not done it, but a few were moaning last week who did it.

FWIW looks like the Whytes/Wall etc seem to have been temporarily cut and shut into one shorter circuit of about 2 hours. The new final Whytes/Skyline decent also starts from near the top of the new initial Whytes climb (the old final decent?) so makes sense to do another circuit to save you coming up the climb again.

endurogangster
    Free Member

worth doing to say you have done it, bit of a slog though with a few decent sections.

i did it a few years ago in april and had 4 seasons round the exposed bits.

final descent is immense and long. but you can do the first climb and cut across if you don’t want to do it all.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s all changed now though, as has been said the descent is now the climb I think so probably can’t do the old trick of cutting across on that corner to do the descent.

Edit: looks like a lot going on in this trail notice. I’d probably do the W2 if I was going.

endurogangster
    Free Member

well that smokes balls!

greeble
    Free Member

The old original descent and climb is closed and has been deforested. alot of it has been closed due to wind farm development.
    not worth doing at all.

although the new blade trail ontop of skyline is being built at the mo. and that should be open before the end of the year and the same with penryhdd.

will be worth riding from afan and doing w2 with blade trail for deserts.

diawl2
    Free Member
    Scamper
    Free Member

Actually ignore some of what I said above. I’ve a feeling we didn’t do any of the wall at all, and just went into Energy at the top of Whites climb? Did we miss the signage for the Wall link which used to take you across from around Windy point? 😥

greeble
    Free Member

Actually ignore some of what I said above. I’ve a feeling we didn’t do any of the wall at all, and just went into Energy at the top of Whites climb? Did we miss the signage for the Wall link which used to take you across from around Windy point?

you’re doing it wrong

philwarren11
    Free Member

Skyline has been cut short massive, the diversion back makes no sense and actually misses some open and rideable sections (fast forward etc..). If doing it i would ride the trail as marked but when returning on the bridleway i would take a left down passed the end of grenada and onto fast forward and joyrider, which is what the trail should do instead of that bullshit boggy brideleway which comes out at the same point!

If you have a GPS map take your phone and ride the whole thing, its a bit overgrown in parts but makes for a quality ride. None of the original (apart from the final descent at the moment) is unrideable.

Personally if you wanted a biger ride its a good option to W2 as Skyline is all of current whites and more.

I ride up there often so know whats open and whats not.

lucien

@ philwarren11 – thank you, mucho helpfulness

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Skyline – worth doing?’ is closed to new replies.