Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 180 total)
  • Suicide…………know anyone??
  • Edukator
    Free Member

I wonder how many Mtbers have topped themselves after getting bullied on forums? 😉

All this collective angst, grief and depression can't be good for readers' mental health either.

Smash that Leonard Cohen LP over your knee, put something boppy on very loud and start dancing around the room. If that fails, call the samaritans.

Albanach
    Free Member

Again, unfortunately yes. I knew two people who committed suicide and my mother has attempted suicide before.

A family friend was accused of something of which there was no proof except one person's word against his and after struggling with depression for a long time he tragically committed suicide leaving behind two sons and a wife, all of whom are extremely nice people. As his brother said at his funeral it the accusation and rumours it caused was akin to opening a pillow full of feathers on a mountain top and trying to gather them back up again.

After my parents divorced my mother had a nervous breakdown, was extremely depressed and tried to take her life on more than one occasion. She was admitted to a mental hospital twice and was treated with ECT and very strong anti-depressants and subsequently has no recollection of around 6 months of her life. Coming back from Uni to find burnt ends of hosepipe and pillows in the garage, labels with people's names stuck to paintings and items of furniture is not something that I ever want to have to encounter again. The last time she tried, she overdosed on paracetamol and left a garbled message on a friends answering machine which triggered a call to the police to go to my house and who made the call to the emergency services and my mum's life was saved.

In the months and years that have followed many times I have thought that it may have been better for her if she had managed to take her own life. She was in such a dark place and subsequently made it very, very difficult for a lot of people but more so myself, my sister and her father. Some people may be surprised or horrified that I would say such a thing but at the time it was what I truely believed.

During the last 2-3 years there has been a huge improvement in my mother's mental health and most of this can be attributed to the birth of her first grandchild. My opinion above never enters my mind now as she is so much better. We are all still very aware of her fragile mental state but hope that she keeps getting better and better with less and less relapses of poor health.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Unfortunatly yes. It's a most terrible thing and even 7 years down the line we still think about him loads. He seemed a man without a problem in the world but living was just too much for him. What hurts was that I (and all the rest of our friends) would have done anything just to talk with him and try to 'prevent' it if only we would have known.

It leaves so many sad people, not just then but forever and some (like his wife) who's life is sad every single day.

C

MountainMutant
    Free Member

yes

A guy I grew up with in my street's father died of an asthma attack. A month or so later he goes to see his mum who has hung herself 🙁

On hearing this news his sister who was living in Norway with her family OD 🙁 A family of four down to one in a month 🙁 Poor bloke. I just hope he is strong and doesn't go the same way

Also at my last job a girl in my team's sister OD because of a failing relationship. I saw close hand how it tore the family apart, court cases blaming hospitals etc for her death

Terrible thing

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Guy I lived next door to in uni halls, his facebook profile is still there and kinda haunting.

It is also one of the most selfish acts known to man.

If someone's that low they don't want to go on, is it not more selfish to think they should cary on for alturistic reasons?

Diane
    Free Member

Well this post certainly opened a can. Seems it might help some a little, what a nice bunch you are! 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

Just watched a programme on WDR about an anti-depressor: Pfizer's Zoloft. The company doesn't include in the side effects on the instructions in the box the risk of suicide, which it clearly states in its own internal reports. If you know anyone on this stuff I think it would be worth doing some research.

slowjo
    Free Member

Three…..one because (apparently) he was going to be late handing in an essay, threw himself off a very tall building. Another got too intimate with a shotty after a bottle of whisky and another threw himself in front of a train.

The thing is, you just can't actually believe it when you hear about it.

qwerty
    Free Member

you will all suffer from mental health issues at some point

suicide is selfish

seek help, you owe it to yourself, because you are worth it, life is priceless

Spongebob
    Free Member

suicide is selfish

when you are thinking rationally!

TheFlyingOx

Honest question:

Are we not mentioning JahWomble on purpose?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes, one of my best mates. Love related………he was in love with two women and couldn’t reconcile that he had to lose one.

Mind you he had a history of mental instability which is often associated with those who have the mind of a genius.

oldgit
    Free Member

My uncle.
    He had a thrivingretro/salvage business, he had made good money and was living a grand life.
    Then things changed and he ended up owing about a million, we didn’t know this at the time.
    Anyway during a Sunday lunchtime drink he went home early, then later his wife went home to find him hanging in the garage.
    Thing is he had assets, mainly property that he could have sold to easilly cover his debt. However it’s assumed he didn’t want to lose face with his wealthy friends. And hence his suicide has been seen as a selfish act.

julianwilson
    Free Member

The Flying Ox – Member

Honest question:

I think he was still alive when this thread was first started. 😥

yunki
    Free Member

RIP jahwomble.. he’s been mentioned a few times.. there’s some very touching stuff been said about him and his family back on page two maybe..?

thanks to all that have posted.. I was a bit worried with my post on page one that I was going to have to take a flaming for my act of selfishness..
    but people in the main appear to have some very mature and empathic feelings and thoughts on the subject.. It’s a subject that not many can truly understand.. and why would we want to!?
    so thanks again

sorry to all those that have suffered with issues surrounding suicide.. it’s one of life’s most diabolical twists of fate..

EDIT: I’m getting my suicide threads mixed up.. 😳

allthepies
    Free Member

I take it you didn’t see the “Posted 1 year ago” tags against every post until spongebob’s bizarre resurrection of this thread ?

xiphon
    Free Member

My ex attempted suicide on numerous occasions, but she was mentally unstable. Proper nuts.

Concluded she never would have the guts to actually do it, so just left her to it.

Still alive to my knowledge.

My Aunty (Fathers sister) took her own life many years before I was born, it’s understood she had clinical depression, but was never confirmed. From what I hear, she was a fun character, so it’s a shame I never met her.

cynic-al
    Free Member

girl I went out with briefly killed herself.

really makes you think…about lots of things. I’ve felt pretty bad at times, but never bad enough to do it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

girl I went out with briefly killed herself.

really makes you think…about lots of things. I’ve felt pretty bad at times, but never bad enough to do it.

HermanShake
    Free Member

1st: boy from my class in secondary. Took lots of drugs, developed mental problems and jumped in front of a train. I think he was 18.

2nd: My partner’s very close friend. A really lovely woman who had been clean for ages but also had chronic hepatitis. OD’d at a party.

3rd: A good friend of mine who had severe, medicated depression took his own life in November. He was a sensitive and very intelligent man.

A number of people I know who tend be in the upper bracket of intellect have also had issues with depression leading to considering suicide, luckily they’ve found an alternative way out.

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘Suicide…………know anyone??’ is closed to new replies.