Viewing 40 posts - 1,681 through 1,720 (of 1,952 total)
  • Stuff that makes you disproportionately cross
  • convert

King size bed flat sheets. What utter ****wit made them square? The bed is not square – it’s longer than it is wide. So the sheet to too short in length to be tucked in properly and too wide in width. Muppets.

zomg

Ditto super king. If you get fitted sheets you can instead be unreasonably cross that they’re never ever the right way around when you go to put them on.

Houns

Hotels that tuck the duvet in

Watty

People that don’t like The Breakfast Club. 😉

fasthaggis

People that really ,really don’t  like The Breakfast Club your most favourite film,then are too scared to post an example of what they believe to be a true masterpiece.  😃

squirrelking
    Free Member

Letter number 24 from TV Licensing aka the BBC arrived in the post this morning. They’ve given me a date for their visit. They can FRO. Again.

I may be misremembering but aren’t you one of those people who go out their way not to fill in the “I don’t need a licence form”. If I’m right then welcome to the dildo of consequences, if you can’t be arsed playing the game properly then don’t cry when the rules catch up with you. It’s 5 minutes, if that, once every 3 years or so. You’re really not sticking anything to any Man, you’re just setting yourself up and complaining when they come looking. **** about, find out

Dunno about disproportionate anger but people who don’t own their actions and get all bent out of shape when they catch up with them definitely have a circle of hell reserved for them.

Folk who cannot tell a flag from a shirt collar.

Just jokes mate, further run the thread 8 posted some very incorrectly coloured flags I own…

fazzini

The **** annoying issue I have with my neck that means I haven’t been on a bike since 26th February. Sick. As. ****. (also in immense pain, but that’s by the by 😳 rant over)

Cougar

if you can’t be arsed playing the game properly then don’t cry when the rules catch up with you. It’s 5 minutes, if that, once every 3 years or so.

Honestly, I’m with CG on this. Why should she have to?

Literally no other organisation behaves in this way and is sanctioned to do so. I don’t have to fill in a form every three years to state that I don’t have a shotgun, why should the TV be any different?

I have a TV licence, I think it’s worth paying for. But if I didn’t I damn well wouldn’t be filling in their silly little forms or pandering to their threats of sending a man round, I simply wouldn’t have one.

cinnamon_girl

Hey squirrelking, get back in your box! I don’t wish to purchase their service so why should I have to keep telling them and the requirement to inform is actually every 2 years. Why??? Have you seen the wording of their letters, a serious question? If you have then do you think it is right that folk should receive those communications written in such a threatening manner? It’s nothing to do with “sticking it to the man”, it’s objecting to such an organisation (BBC and TV Licensing are interchangeable) doing what they do to the public and in particular the vulnerable who’ve chosen not to purchase their service.

dyna-ti

I have a TV licence, I think it’s worth paying for.

Not sure its worth paying for, or its money when you compare with any of the streaming services, but it is what it is and its down in law, so not paying it can cause problems.

I’ve spent the last 3 months trying to change my tv licence from one account to another and its refusing to accept the new account, even though its a long standing account, well in account, and been paying other direct debits for years TV licencing doesnt want to know.

Fill out form. add banking details and get back the message – ” These details are no accepted” so wtf are you meant to do when my current licence runs out end of this month ?. Tried putting in the new banking details 6 times, both over the phone line and with an operator and each time it rejects the bank account numbers.

So I would like to have a licence, only tv licensing are making that impossible. And I have had letters saying its going to run out. yes plenty of those. They can accept theres no new account paying it but not a single letter about why their system is broken.

What a complete shitshow 🙄

billabong987

The licence fee is a complete scam IMO.

If you want to pay it that’s completely fine, crack on. Those that don’t shouldn’t be subject to these heavy handed tactics, it’s completely out of order. Imagine if netflix or amazon tried this kind of stuff, they’d be out of business instantly.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Hey squirrelking, get back in your box! I don’t wish to purchase their service so why should I have to keep telling them and the requirement to inform is actually every 2 years. Why??? Have you seen the wording of their letters, a serious question? If you have then do you think it is right that folk should receive those communications written in such a threatening manner? It’s nothing to do with “sticking it to the man”, it’s objecting to such an organisation (BBC and TV Licensing are interchangeable) doing what they do to the public and in particular the vulnerable who’ve chosen not to purchase their service.

I’m quite happy out my box if it’s all the same.

You choose your own actions, just don’t bitch about it when it comes to their consequences.

I don’t agree with heavy handedness and the whole setup is deliberately obtuse and designed to trip you up and con you into buying one, I totally agree there. It’s like trying to unsubscribe from amazon and not being able to find the hidden box that lets you do it. But I still fill out the form, submit it and get on with my life. I’ve had one visit in 20 years which consisted of:

Got a Tv

Yep

Got a licence

Nope

Do you realise blah blah blah

Yup, I only use it for videos and consoles.

Oh

Want a look?

Nah its okay

And the world didn’t stop turning. Make a stand, point or whatever, that’s your prerogative but don’t moan when they come looking to check up on you. It’s like going out on strike and then bitching about not getting paid.

blokeuptheroad

People who torpedo lighthearted threads

sirromj

BOOOOO. BOOOOO. BOOOOO. BOOOOO.

zomg

People who begrudge begrudgery; who do they think they are, exactly?

Cougar

(BBC and TV Licensing are interchangeable)

They aren’t really.

Not sure its worth paying for, or its money when you compare with any of the streaming services,

I was trying not to repeat myself.

It’s not worth it for me personally, aside from very occasional dropping in and out the sum total of my terrestrial viewing is probably Only Connect, the 1% Club, Doctor Who and Death in Paradise. Rather, I think the BBC is worth supporting for output like the 4k Attenborough documentaries, they’re astounding.

but it is what it is and its down in law, so not paying it can cause problems.

Not paying it shouldn’t cause problems if you aren’t watching broadcast TV / iPlayer.

I’ve had one visit in 20 years which consisted of:

That’s one too many.

Plenty of things need licences. If you had a visit from “enforcement” asking whether you had a fishing rod because you don’t have a fishing licence would you consider this to be normal, acceptable behaviour? Maybe invite them in for a quick scout around looking for a bait box?

Want a look?

To prove what, that you have a TV?

You don’t need a licence to be capable of receiving broadcast TV, nor do you need to demonstrate to some **** in a hat that you can’t. You need a licence to watch it and short of them peeping through your windows you might as well be trying to disprove god, it’s not possible.

theotherjonv

If you had a visit from “enforcement” asking whether you had a fishing rod because you don’t have a fishing licence would you consider this to be normal, acceptable behaviour?

Comparison doesn’t really work because if you were using a rod on a river bank then it would be a fair question. If you’re using a TV then asking if you have a licence is a fair question. The answer might be that you don’t need one because of ‘reasons’ (there are several) but to avoid the inconvenience you can fill out a simple form and save the hassle.

Not paying it shouldn’t cause problems if you aren’t watching broadcast TV / iPlayer.

Agree, but if they detect (or suspect) a TV in use, and there’s no declaration of not needing one, the question’s a reasonable one. Akin to seeing someone fishing.

IDK how good the comparison is – can you go fishing without needing a licence? Some would say the enjoyment is the isolation and being sat watching the water, etc., can you get that enjoyment without actually dipping a baited hook in. Just an empty line, or no line – and does that constitute enough to count as fishing so you still need a licence – IDK.

Cougar

Where your argument falls down is,

If you’re using a TV then asking if you have a licence is a fair question.

Agree, but if they detect (or suspect) a TV in use

How would they know that you’re using a TV? “Detect” how?

In any case, you don’t need a licence to “use” a TV.

to avoid the inconvenience you can fill out a simple form and save the hassle.

This is essentially legitimising harassment.

Akin to seeing someone fishing.

How about if I used to fish but not any more, and still have the rod under my bed?

How – and for that matter, why – is anyone supposed to demonstrate that they aren’t doing something? It’s abject nonsense.

dyna-ti

“Detect” how?

The truth is they cannot ‘detect’ anything. They had a van drive about in the 70’s and 80’s with TV detector on the side, but the truth was there was nothing inside and they were just trying to scare people into getting onee.

The truth is they know there are 21 million households in the UK and those 21 million should have a tv licence. If their figures say theres only 15 million licences, then as far as they are concerned there are 6 million unaccounted for(or however many)

The entire system of needing a licence is a joke and completely unjustified. its basically just another tax.

theotherjonv

How – and for that matter, why – is anyone supposed to demonstrate that they aren’t doing something? It’s abject nonsense.

You aren’t. You are declaring it, like you can declare you’re exempt from paying for prescriptions by signing a form, or from paying for parking because you are disabled, etc

What bollocks. But I’ve never managed to convince you from your entrenched views on anything before, so I’m unlikely to on this either, and it’s supposed to be a light hearted thread being derailed by STW again, so I’m out.

onehundredthidiot

Big hitters (sometimes)

funkmasterp

People on trains who watch things on their phones without headphones and the handset volume on. Also people who have phone conversations on loudspeaker. Absolute ****!

tonyf1
    Free Member

A certain section of full members always bickering on supposed light hearted threads.

Guy Pointing To Himself In The Mirror 25032024081626

wordnumb
    Free Member

The first half hour of almost any computer game. Today: Death’s Door.

nickc

I don’t wish to purchase their service so why should I have to keep telling them and the requirement to inform is actually every 2 years. Why???

Because its the law*. As some-one up thread suggested it’s like dealing with HMRC, it’s up to you to declare it not the other way around. Oh, and your not buying services, the law covers the fact that you have equipment that can receive a signal (not just terrestrial). Again, if you don’t; then declare it, that’s how the law’s written. There’s no requirement obviously, but at the same time, getting annoyed with them for doing what the law says for them to so seems on the face of it; counter-productive if it winds you up so much and there’s a way to make it stop, and biannually is hardly onerous.

*you may argue that the law’s dumb, that’s fair, but there is a way to stop all the nonsense regardless of whether you think its right.

squirrelking
    Free Member

To prove what, that you have a TV?

To prove I had nothing to hide.

If you had a visit from “enforcement” asking whether you had a fishing rod because you don’t have a fishing licence would you consider this to be normal, acceptable behaviour?

Probably more fairly comparable to walking around an airport perimeter carrying a drone or walking about a fishery or licensed riverbank with a rod and tackle. Both are going to prompt (IMO) reasonable questioning.

What? No it’s not. Is a SORN legitimising harrasment? Similar context, similar powers, similar statute. If not why not?

Anyway, as I said before it’s your prorogative to do as you please, just be an adult and own it. Is that unreasonable?

ossify

Stuff that makes you disproportionately cross

This thread, now. Go get your own thread!

(I tend to agree with CG & Cougar, but also tell them I don’t have a TV, simply because I cba with the hassle)

Cougar

To prove I had nothing to hide.

How?

It’s perfectly legal to own a TV capable of receiving broadcasts, it’s just unlawful to watch them without a licence. You require a licence to watch iPlayer even if you don’t have a TV at all. How exactly are you going to demonstrate that to anyone? You’re trying to prove a negative, it’s not possible.

Is a SORN legitimising harrasment? … If not why not?

If you own a car then it is a legal requirement to either tax it or declare SORN. The same is not true if you own a TV.

This thread, now. Go get your own thread!

Yeah, I’ll stop now. Sorry.

squirrelking
    Free Member

How?

Yeah, I’ll stop now. Sorry.

People that set you up to fail 😂

convert

XXXXtrackworld thread titles.

Makes my teeth itch for some reason. Never open them. Sometimes I see the title and think – yep, I suspect I might have something useful to contribute to that…but see that title – they can get to **** and sort it out by themselves.

#irrationaltrackworld.

oldbloke
    Free Member

Because its the law*

Interested to know where that legal reference is because it isn’t in s363 of Communications Act covering licence obligations and Moneysavingexpert says no legal obligation to do so. (I have a licence, but the debate got me interested to look).

Back on the thread topic – fake exhaust pipes on cars.  I don’t know why it bugs me where there are two pipes and only one is used, but it really does.

I don’t know why it bugs me where there are two pipes and only one is used, but it really does.

Especially when I realise I’ve stuffed up and not brought enough spuds in my nefarious attempt at ruining the local gary-boys day.

kayak23

It is easier to stop the world turning on its axis than to cancel a motherfunking printer job.

onehundredthidiot

It’s easier to cancel a print job than stop a motherfunking stw argument on a lighthearted thread.

funkmasterp

Printers in general can **** right off. How have we got to the year 2024 and they are still shit. Print things in 3D? No problem! Print something in colour on a piece of A4 paper? No!

funkmasterp

Ooh! Plumbing! Spent Saturday fixing a leak under the kitchen sink. Within the space of the Lilliputian confines of the under sink cupboard there is copper pipe, plastic pipe and flex pipe. Takes the piss. Had to go to three different shops just to get the bits I needed.

mjsmke

Drunk people

Ambrose

“Takes the piss.”

Maybe you should reconsider your toilet habits. There are alternatives to the kitchen sink 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1,681 through 1,720 (of 1,952 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.