Viewing 40 posts - 1,921 through 1,960 (of 1,977 total)
  • Stuff that makes you disproportionately cross
  • ElShalimo

pats

People who use workplace jargon and expect everyone else to understand it. I had this yesterday with a hospital phone call. I had to remind the person that I don’t work there so I didn’t have a clue what she was talking about 🤦‍♂️

reeksy

It’s not really that hard to work out. It would be pt or even px if it was workplace jargon.

But yes healthcare is riddled with impenetrable terms and expressions reinforced by a power imbalance that means patients and families don’t always feel comfortable to ask “WTF?”

ElShalimo

Agreed, it’s not hard to work out in that example but why use workplace jargon outside of work?   I don’t pepper every post on here with comments about aleatory and epistemic risk.

Communication is critical in every aspect of life, not just work, so why make it harder for others to understand you?

reeksy

I think it’s because they’re immersed in it all the time so it becomes automatic.

Olly
    Free Member

took my kiddo to beavers last night. As always, the first driver to get there parks in front of the “no parking” sign, across the double yellow and in the way of the pedestrian gate.

I leave my bike behind his car, cause he’s in the way.

Has the CHUFFING AUDACITY to mutter “dont mind me then“, as he returns to his car.

Its not me thats “in the way” mate. Annoyingly, i was so impressed by his complete lack of self awareness i didnt rise to it.

Cougar

it’s not hard to work out in that example but why use workplace jargon outside of work?

My industry is endemic with TLAs but most Techs learn to communicate with normal people.  Meanwhile, we had all-hands (ugh) meetings where the CEO would pap on about queue two ebbit dah and most of the workforce are thinking we’ve just taken on a load of Welsh coal miners.

ElShalimo

Even when you know what Q2 EBITDA is, it’s still dull but it gives the members of the ExCo* a proper boner

(* ExCo another jargon term I hate – the Executive Committee is usually a group of old white men in the boardroom all demonstrating that they are alpha males and that they are right and everyone else is clueless – BURN THE LOT OF THEM)

kayak23

Acronyms.

No point in them at all on many an occasion.

Every time someone uses them they tend to say the whole thing, then say or, the acronym.

Always hear it on the news for example, ‘today, the National Institute for Clinical Excellence, or ‘NICE’ said that blah blah blah’

You might as well just say the thing lol laugh out loud, rofl rolling on the floor laughing.

Cougar

You might as well just say the thing lol laugh out loud, rofl rolling on the floor laughing.

Oh, that’s one in itself.  “LOL” as punctuation.  “I’ve just been to the shops lol”  Really?  You’re saying you’ve just been shopping BWAHAHAHAHA!!!  Are you some sort of maniac?  What were you buying, organic fertiliser, a chainsaw and quicklime?  Where’s the hilarity here?

“ROFL.”  You’re not, are you.  “LMAO.”  I’m fairly confident that your arse is still attached.  Are you 12?  Stop it.

It’s got to a point where if something I read makes me laugh out loud I feel compelled to qualify it, “actual LOL.”

tjagain

I have never heard of a GP practice doing that and imo its shit for patients especially vulnerable ones.

I hope that there is a ” prefer privacy” option

My gps still have open surgeries for urgent stuff

flicker
    Free Member

People taking to me from another room.

Being asked to do something that I was just about to do

Oof! yes, both of those irritate the shit out of me.

For the first I just ignore it now, if you want to speak to me come and find me, I’m not having a conversation from three rooms away.

2nd one I have to bite my tongue and carry on with the task I was about to do whereas I’d really like to not do it out of pure spite.

To add to the list, people driving who start indicating as they’re turning, yes we ******* know you’re turning, moron, would have been useful a few seconds earlier…..

Cougar

both of those irritate the shit out of me.

For the first I just ignore it now, if you want to speak to me come and find me, I’m not having a conversation from three rooms away.

… whilst the Big Daft Telly is blarting away to itself in an empty third room and I’ve got my head under the kitchen extractor hood.  “You never listen…”  fox sake.  Come and stand here whilst I go and mumble at you from the other end of the building, see how long your patience holds out.

Acronyms.

No point in them at all on many an occasion.

Every time someone uses them they tend to say the whole thing, then say or, the acronym.

Always hear it on the news for example, ‘today, the National Institute for Clinical Excellence, or ‘NICE’ said that blah blah blah’

That’s something I liked about defence, internally it was unapologetic with their use without explanation. ask the question or go find out.

That and indecipherable abbreviations that don’t exist anywhere else.

Being asked to do something that I was just about to do

Likewise is being asked a question about something to which the answer has been briefed on already.

nickc

I have never heard of a GP practice doing that and imo its shit for patients especially vulnerable ones.

We have ways of  ensuring that our vulnerable patients can get an appointment with a GP or nurse or any one else that they need to.

If you mean can you come to/ring the surgery and make an appt with a GP for a couple of weeks time without having to tell any one what its about? Then no. The reception team will either direct you to online – you can put as much or as little info as you want on the form, or can fill it in for you over the phone, or can do it for you if you come down to the surgery.  But you can’t by pass it. This is becoming more common, as frankly we’re better at managing the incoming daily workload than the patients are.

My gps still have open surgeries for urgent stuff

I don’t know any surgery that doesn’t have some sort of “On the Day” “On-call” type arrangement for acute issues, we’re no different .

CountZero

To add to the list, people driving who start indicating as they’re turning, yes we ******* know you’re turning, moron, would have been useful a few seconds earlier…

Ah yes, the “I have just turned right/left” crowd, delete as appropriate. *rollseyes*. There aren’t enough words in the English language to describe how much I want to hit you in the face with a chair!

CountZero

Paracetamol tablet removal , any other tabs are easy to push through but not them

I need them for arthritis in the wrist and struggle unless I’ve got a knife to pierce the foil/film

I have arthritis in both thumb joints. I also am lucky enough to be the recipient of millions of years of development in various things, like eyes, fingernails…

Speaking of which, I take a whole bunch of tablets with the foil tops, and I find that slicing around the edge with a fingernail makes it really easy to then push the tablets out through the opening in the top. Simples. 🤷🏼

johnners
    Free Member

Privacy? That horse has well and truly bolted at my GP’s surgery. There’s a big touch screen to check in where you can put your date of birth in full view of the waiting area. If you get that right you’re rewarded by the question “are you John Smith?”* flashed up in 2 inch letters just in case anyone wants to know. Maybe they’ll want to send you a birthday card?

Check in at the outpatients of my local hospital is the same with the addition of your postcode but an only partial phone number so they can pretend they’ve thought about privacy at least a little bit.

johnners
    Free Member

I have arthritis in both thumb joints. I also am lucky enough to be the recipient of millions of years of development in various things, like eyes, fingernails…

Speaking of which, I take a whole bunch of tablets with the foil tops, and I find that slicing around the edge with a fingernail makes it really easy to then push the tablets out through the opening in the top. Simples. 🤷🏼

Unfortunately, in my case the “millions of years of development” has been overtaken by several years of a disease, one of the more minor but annoying effects of which makes my nails fragile and very prone to splitting. If I’ve managed to get a fingernail to slicing length it’s still too soft to cut through the foil on most of the 8 or so tablets I take each day. Not so simples.☹️

Sorry to hear about your arthritis though.

Cougar

There aren’t enough words in the English language to describe how much I want to hit you in the face with a chair!

That’s what’s known as a High Four.

binners

Token vegans on Masterchef

Seriously… what’s the point? It’s just embarrassing for all involved.

The person before you just cooked a tandoori rack of lamb. Nobodies interested in your cabbage risotto

ernielynch

Stepping on my yoga mat.

Seriously, I don’t mind putting my face where my feet have been but not yours, FFS.

dyna-ti

Someone posts thread “What is your favourite”

Favourite. The implication is singular. Not plural, which what are your Favourites.

Before to long some such and such comes along with a long list.

Grrrrrr  &^$@#&£ 😡 🙄

onewheelgood

Not spotting errors until after the edit window has closed

fasgadh
    Free Member

People who tell me what I am interested in and/or what I am thinking.

redmex
    Free Member

Trying to get a duvet back into a newly washed cover due to partner staying at my place this weekend and finding you eventually get it kind of into place the button it up to find they are out of sequence when you get to the end one . 15 mins of my time to do a fairly simple task , easy for her to do but she can’t change a punctured tube or fold a map back without adding extra creases and ruining the map

reeksy

People who tell me what I am interested in and/or what I am thinking.

I’m sure you don’t really mean that now do you?

reeksy

Not spotting errors until after the edit window has closed

There you go.

Cougar

I washed our favourite(😁) duvet set a couple of days ago and one of the pillowcases has disappeared.  I can, just about, appreciate the odd sock but how the %^&* does an entire pillowcase disappear?  Bastarding thing.

ElShalimo

People who say “I’ll tell you what you should do...”

The polar opposite is usually the best path in my experience

Flaperon

Drunk people on trains.

Essex accents.

The combination together when you’ve been awake 36 hours straight.

fazzini

Websites that offer ‘filters’ to narrow down your product search, but refresh after each selected filter.

Cougar

Drunk people on trains.

Essex accents.

The combination together when you’ve been awake 36 hours straight.

Not so much ‘cross’ as hilarious but this reminds me,

I was on the Metro (Manchester’s equivalent of the Tube) picking my way home a few weeks ago.  Half a dozen “youths” got aboard, loudly taking about sex and alcohol like they’d just invented them both.  One of the classier ladies belts out “YOU’RE NOT ****ING KISSING ME AFTER YOU’VE BEEN LICKING ME FANNY!”

CountZero

Just a follow up on this from earlier:

My mum unplugs the TV before going to bed at night. Because her mum did. Because IDK, something about thunderstorms? It’s absolutely potty. We have one of the safest, ludicrously over-engineered domestic electricity supplies on the planet.

Some years back we had a few thunderstorms, and I was watching the strikes on one of the online sites, and one or two were out near Corsham, and my mate lives between Corsham and Lacock. When I next saw him, he was bemoaning the fact his big Sony Bravia tv, his Mac, and several components of his HiFi system had been fried by one of those strikes…

My dad always used to unplug the telly, mainly because of the risk of our chimney mounted aerial being struck and the current blowing out the house.

There was one storm one evening which was local, and I was watching it from my open bedroom window, and there was one strike on a house about 100 metres away, there was no bang, but the air crackled loudly and I felt all my hair stand on end!

That was sodding scary, I shut my window immediately.

mattyfez

Dunno how relevant it is, but I’m having my house re-wired at the moment, well, starting monday..when they were pricing the job up, they priced in a new consumer unit (fuse box)…

I questioned why, as mine is probably 5years old at most and still all shiney and new looking….

They said to get the work signed off & certified etc, they have to have surge protection built in at fuse box level now… He said I could keep the existing box and fit an additional surge protection unit between the meter and the consumer unit, but by the time he’d faffed about with doing that, it’s easier to just fit a new consumer unit that’s ‘up to code’.

Dunno how sound that advice is, but consumer units arent exactly expensive considering it’s a full re-wire of the house…so I just said, yeh whatever 😕

mattyfez

You can of course buy surge protected extension cords for expensive equipment such as these https://www.belkin.com/uk/products/surge-protectors-power-strips/

But at £30-£40 a piece, more if you want ethernet pass-through, it quickly makes more sense to have surge protection built in at consumer unit level…?

sirromj

** stitch incoming **

franksinatra

CougarFull Member
    I washed our favourite(😁) duvet set a couple of days ago and one of the pillowcases has disappeared.  I can, just about, appreciate the odd sock but how the %^&* does an entire pillowcase disappear?  Bastarding thing.

it’s in your duvet cover. I know you think that you checked there but it will be there.

mattyfez

** stitch incoming **

?

CountZero

I think it’s already been mentioned on here, but people who feel the need to correct your spelling/grammar even though they understood perfectly well what you meant.

Failure to spell things correctly can often lead to misunderstandings, because people didn’t understand perfectly well what someone meant.
    For roughly thirty years my job involved my spelling things correctly, and proofreading to make sure others spelled things correctly, for that very reason.

Draw, is a very different thing to a drawer.
    And correct spelling, for clarity of meaning and communication, is a hill I’m willing to die on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,921 through 1,960 (of 1,977 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.