Home Forums Bike Forum Stuck SRAM GX cassette to free hub after installation.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Stuck SRAM GX cassette to free hub after installation.
  • kernowgaz

After fitting my new cassette to my XD drive SRAM hub, the cassette is stuck on the free hub after trying to remove it using the normal method of chain whip and cassette tool that I used to remove the old one.

The tool keeps spinning with the chain whip on the cassette but it doesn’t come off the free hub and keeps spinning. It was slightly tight going on but after a Google seeing a few YouTube videos it’s normal, the old one was also tight is coming off as well.

I’ve also noticed there’s now play where the free hub moves from side to side, which it didn’t do before.

I took a picture before I fitted it to show a mate and I’ve noticed there isn’t much a thread, I’m guessing it’s now cross threaded and is f*****.

Has anyone got experience of this issue, with Shimano it’s so easy. Is there a way of getting the free hub off?

I’m gutted, as I’ve just spent £100 on a new Dropper post and the cassette cost £90 to put on my old bike, I should’ve just sold it.

frogstomp

Yes, the threads are quite fine – greasing them helps when it comes round to removal time.

How far “off” is the cassette – it may be clear of the threads but just a bit wedged on still. Depending on the hub, you may be able to pull the cassette and freehub off together (may need to remove the end cap) so you can see how much thread is still engaged.

kernowgaz

The cassette is fully on, at first the small sprocket was touching the frame as I span the wheel. I tightened it up more and it’s on as normal but the free hub with the cassette on has about 6mm of play from side to side.

There’s pieces (end caps?) on either end that had a slot for a spanner, could I tighten them up and will pull the free hub into place?

Its strange I can’t undo it though, it’s like the free hub spins because it’s not in place and engaged probably.

kernowgaz

Well after another look, the axle end caps (that touch the frame when you put the wheel in place) were loose and need tightening up, I did them up hand tight and that stopped the play on the free hub.

I’m scared to try and remove the cassette as I don’t want to f*** it up and ruin it totally.

Does anyone know how to remove and tighten the free hub on a Novatech rear hub?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.