Home Forums Bike Forum Strong rear wheel for commuting

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Strong rear wheel for commuting
  • dave.wilson14

Currently using prime barodeur discs, the version 2s. I’ve replaced my 3rd spoke on the rear wheel now and coming to the conclusion that I might need a stronger rear wheel, I cycle with panniers and I weigh about 100kg. Think the primes have a rider weight of 120kg, which I think all things included I am under.

Route to work is fairly rough.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a strong rear wheel? I’m guessing a 32h would be the way to go.

fasthaggis

What’s your budget.

How old was the Prime wheel,it could just have been a duff machine( or human) build.

There are always sets of Gravel/CX wheels being sold after folk upgrade,if your not fussed about weight.

matt_outandabout

IMO, local wheel builder is the answer for a strong wheel.

hatter

What size tyres are you looking to run?

Assuing 35ish commuting tyres DT Swiss HU 1900’s are there if you want truly monstrously tough but they’re designed for laden E-bike trekking so are probably overkill.

However, all their gravel wheels are rated to 130 KG as well.

ton

Spa cycles will sort you.

i run xt 6 bolt on rigida sputnik rims, built with sapim strong spoke throughout.

21 stone rider, with panniers loaded.   never had a broken spoke or a out of shape wheel.

dave.wilson14

Current wheels are only a few months old. I’ve been repairing them myself at home. I guess I could pay to have someone more experienced have a look. But then potentially left with the same problem if they simply can’t take the weight.

I’m using marathon plus 38s, they’ve plenty of life left. My bikes frame has a rear qr which I think is limiting my options slightly. Might have a look at the DTs. Have found some mavic all roads that might be better, but still have the 120kg weight limit. Was thinking they might be better quality however.

ton

can i add, most off the shelf wheels are designed for normal sized people.

possibly between 12 to 16 stone. i am pretty sure a 19 stone bloke needs some custom strong wheels building.

mick_r

A work colleague is very tall and 120kg. Small road bumps and potholes were just smashing through factory wheel spokes. Road tyres, reduced spoke count and high tension plain guage spokes were a useless combination for him.

I specced him a reasonable priced hand built wheel through Spa Cycles – can’t remember which rim but 105 hub (for strong axle and freehub) and 36 butted spokes with a bit of spring which have been faultless. The guy at Spa rang him before building just to check why we’d ordered that combo and agreed with the choices.

dave.wilson14

Two votes for spa cycles. Did email them the other day but haven’t had a reply. Might pop in Saturday as I’m Leeds based anyway.

poolman
    Free Member

Yes spa wheels here on commuter/shopper.  I m 90kg and shopping can be 25kg.  Not even a loose spoke in 18 months, 3000 miles.

Spa built a wheel for my tourer 15 years ago, again, no issues at all.

Just ask for the strongest combination they recommend, it wasn’t even that much extra.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I built a strong wheel for our Radwagon cargo bike.

I used sapim strong spokes (2.3mm i think) and a Ryde Andra 40 https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rims-tape/32-ryde-andra-40-700c-622-road-rim-black/ suitable for up to 180kg!

It carried my 100kg and both my kids, and the 38kg bike weight without an issue (and I built it myself with a couple of zip ties and a spoke key – i.e. not very well)

Daffy

I’d also recommend Spa.  They know their load luggers VERY well.

poolman
    Free Member

Just looked up the spa spec for bulletproof wheels, ryde sputnik 36, deore t610 hub.  V happy, not even a loose spoke.

irc
    Free Member

Another Spa fan. Ryde (formerly Rigida) Sputnik wheels on my tourer. Carried my 16 stone, 2 stone touring gear, and up to 14L of fluids without a single spoke needing tweeked.

aggs
    Free Member

Malcolm Borg at the Cycle Clinic has a choice as well.

Hand built for you.

ampthill

Spa cycles is probably a good bet

My Hope 20fives have been fine. I’m a 100kg and they’ve been used off road with the bike laden. They came quick release with end caps for bolt through in the box

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.