Home Forums Bike Forum Stooges- new releases

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Stooges- new releases
  • shedbrewed
    Free Member

I can’t be alone on here in having received my Rambler in the recent order delivery. Took a while to build up and hasn’t been without issues; tyre sizes, caliper alignment, but quite pleased with how it has come together.
    https://flic.kr/p/2qhjFXD

I was hoping the stack height would be more so am waiting on a custom tall stack stem but other than that it’s nice. https://flic.kr/p/2qhkRSt

I will have a couple of un-needed ti stems to sell on once the tall stack arrives. Just saying ?

superstu
    Free Member

Nice. Stack height is pretty tall on this aren’t they?

Is that a 29r set up (sorry can’t tell brilliantly from the photos)? The clearance didn’t look great and seems set up for a 650b (same as the surly ghost grappler, which can run both but is better with 650b).

aP
    Free Member

Looks like 29.

My 1st batch Rambler has 2.5″/27.5 Ehline on the front and there’s a little more room under the fork crown

shedbrewed
    Free Member

No, those are 27.5 with a 2.6 in front and 2.3 out back. I fed back to Andrew asking if the geometry had been changed as there was no way a 2.6 was going in the rear, and the 2.8 I tried in the front was a rizla away from the crown. Shame but hey ho.

bikesandboats
    Free Member

Your rambler looks great, what is the bar tape?

Did you chop the steerer? I would have thought they’d come with a longer steerer. I’d recommend  https://bikeinsights.com/compare if you want to check stack height of frames before you buy, you can compare them against bikes you have that fit.  What size frame is it and how tall are you?

Annoying that your tyres don’t quite fit although it does say on the Stooge website;

Worth mentioning also, not all tyres are created equal, so its probably true to say that not every 2.8 and 2.6 will fit.

I’m planning on getting a Rambler-alike frame made for me soon, I’ll probably go for 27.5 x 2.4 F and R.

desperatebicycle

Thought undiscovered Iggy songs. Is disappoint

superstu
    Free Member

No, those are 27.5 with a 2.6 in front and 2.3 out back. I fed back to Andrew asking if the geometry had been changed as there was no way a 2.6 was going in the rear, and the 2.8 I tried in the front was a rizla away from the crown. Shame but hey ho.

that is surprising. I thought they’d be plenty more space in 650b guise. Looks a good build though, I keep looking at them…

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@bikesandboats it’s BTP bar tape from freshtripe. Feels good to use although will no doubt dirty up fast. Very little stretch as it’s woven cotton, but it benefited from being wound twice to loosen it. I might get a predominantly black version for winter (I won’t). I’m 6’2” and went for the large frame, no steerer cutting. I always build up and ride first and then cut down if needed. It’s much better sized than the Genesis Vagabond it replaced (which I’ll be selling soon and which definitely takes a 27.5×2.8 in the front). I tried my 2.8 tyre on two different wheels: Velocity Cliffhanger rims and Roval traverse fatties, both not enough clearance and I think Andrew added that section covering tyres after he and I spoke. Which is fair. To point out I’m not grumpy and flouncy about it, just disappointed. Am I going to notice the difference of 0.2” in riding? I doubt it highly. It just means I now have some 2.8” tyres to sell ?

The bike rides superbly btw and I’m trying to resist buying a Scrambler.

chakaping

Thought undiscovered Iggy songs. Is disappoint

And I came here to say it wouldn’t be the same without Ron and Scott.

bikesandboats
    Free Member

I’m 6’2” and went for the large frame, no steerer cutting. I always build up and ride first and then cut down if needed. It’s much better sized than the Genesis Vagabond it replaced (which I’ll be selling soon and which definitely takes a 27.5×2.8 in the front). I tried my 2.8 tyre on two different wheels: Velocity Cliffhanger rims and Roval traverse fatties, both not enough clearance and I think Andrew added that section covering tyres after he and I spoke. Which is fair.

They probably use the same fork across the sizes which may mean on the large with it’s longer headtube there is less above the head tube? Makes sense about the tyres, always annoying when what you have doesn’t quite fit, not helpful that so many tyres of the “same” size measure differently. Any of those Ti stems 50mm?

legometeorology
    Free Member

I had an Stooge mk4 with some clearance issues. Officially it fitted a 29 x 2.6″ rear, but my 2.4″ Ardent was tight, only 4-5mm clearance either side. Must have been a manufacturing tolerance thing as others were running WTB 2.6″‘s out rear, and those things are massive.

Other than that, fabulous bike that I wish I hadn’t sold.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@bikesandboats yes I will be selling a 50mm ti stem, and yes a fair guess on the fork steerer. Would make sense from a manufacturer point of view.

sillyoldman

New Vagabond might be more up your street than the last one.

Paul-B

legometeorology
    Free Member
    I had an Stooge mk4 with some clearance issues. Officially it fitted a 29 x 2.6″ rear, but my 2.4″ Ardent was tight, only 4-5mm clearance either side. Must have been a manufacturing tolerance thing as others were running WTB 2.6″‘s out rear, and those things are massive.

Other than that, fabulous bike that I wish I hadn’t sold.

Yes, I run a 2.4 Rekon on the back of my Mk4 and the seat stay clearance at the dog-leg bit is tight. There’s no paint left on that section but then the seat tube has been patched up anyway as it cracked at the seat clamp. It’s a bit rough round the edges but I do love it

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.