• This topic has 166 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by paton.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 167 total)
  • Started my low carb diet today, 21 stone, going to update weekly.
  • Poopscoop

Hope the mods don’t mind a “personal” diet thread?

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Thought it might be of interest for those that have never done the whole Atkins/low carb route too. I’m going it will also lift my mood as going through my worst bout of depression for well over a decade.</span>

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Starting at 21 Stone give or take a pound or two. Getting some new scales later in week as I know these over weigh by a couple of pounds.</span>

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>I’ll be sticking to sub *15g carbs* a day. Once I have lost enough weight I will be on Zwift. I am over the max weight of my turbo trainer at present! :-(</span>

49 years old and spend far too much time sitting down. Also eat and drink too much!

I’ll update the weight once a week on here and see how it goes. 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

More Poop.Less scoops.

timidwheeler

I’m genuinely interested in how it goes. Thanks for posting.

dirkpitt74

Good luck!

Robz
    Free Member

Good luck dude..

I am not personally a fan of low carb diets, particularly ones that put you in ketosis. I just really don’t think they are sustainable or necessary. 

You might want to reassess once you up your activity and get on Zwift

I went from over 114kg down to 88kg. Consistency is key

All the best.

grtdkad

“<span style=”color: #444444; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”>More </span><span class=”skimlinks-unlinked” style=”background-color: transparent; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; color: #444444; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”>Poop.Less</span><span style=”color: #444444; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”> scoops“</span>

Neck a litre of Sunsweet Prune Juice FTW. Go on, give it a try, I dare you!

Jamie
    Free Member

Not tempted to visit us fatties in the Corpulent thread then?

Poopscoop

Thanks for the comments guys, on the whole! Lol

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Looks like the forum is throwing a few glitches up with quotes etc.</span>

Hopefully my diet didn’t do the same!

Poopscoop

Ok,quote function is broken?

I’ll dip my toes mate (corpulent thread) but my diet is going to be a little unconventional as will be evident over the weeks to come. 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

We have people eating dust in there…..plus the usual low carb bods 🙂

RobHilton
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter what your diet is – Chub Club is there for motivation.

We’re all taking different approaches

<span style=”font-size: 12.8px;”>https://youtu.be/QereR0CViMY</span&gt;

uponthedowns
    Free Member

49 years old and spend far too much time sitting down. Also eat and drink too much!

Why do you think you need a low carb diet? Just eat and drink a bit less and move about more. Especially at 21 stone you’re not exactly struggling to get rid of the last 5% body fat.

WillH

All the best Poopscoop.  One tip I thought I’d share is try not to get hung up on what the scales say on any given day.  Some days it will be higher than the last weigh-in, other times it will be lower.  The key is to look at it over a longer time scale and hopefully see a downwards trend, despite daily/weekly/whatever ups and downs.

When my wife was trying to lose some post-baby unwanted shapely bits she would often be quite elated at having lost a couple of pounds compared to the week before, and a bit dejected at having put on similar over a week.  It took some doing (and she still struggles to get past it sometimes) to point out that over the last year she has actually lost a fair bit of weight and is doing well.

mrmoofo

Poopscoop …

I went from 141 kgs to 106 kgs ….

I followed a very low calorie diet for 10 weeks …. the aim was to reverse diabetes… which it did.   I have drifted up to a 111 kg over the last year , so back of a fast ….

The Diest I follow is not healthy … it is 600 calories a day … but for a very short period of time.   And despite all negative comments , the results are sustainable but rely on a review of life style … I now run and cycle every other day.

Alcohol is a real weight trigger for me , as is eating snacks … so you have to learn not too eat them. If you save them fro treat then that is fine.

Tell everyone what you are doing and it is for health reasons …. then people are not tempted to make you break the diet.  And TBH, your friends, work colleagues, people you meet will be complete arseholes … ” just have one drink with me”, “have a little bit of cake” etc… for them it becomes entertainment.

I made the statement that I was trying cure diabetes and didn’t want my legs cut off …. after the initial reaction everyone became very supportive …. I travel a lot for work long haul, and even people entertaining me in Japan/US/ Singapore were really good.  The best thing was that everyone joined in in wanting to now how I was doing.

My diet was low everything … done via slimfast and eating vegetable soup… boy , it makes your breath smell ..

Do what works for you

paton
    Free Member
    paton
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

I try to follow low carb or low GI. If have something higher GI like bread or cereal that sets me off and I start craving food.

surfer
    Free Member

Thanks for posting the Tim Noakes vidoes. Done some interesting research on hydration also (actually he mentions it in the vid)

RobHilton
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12.8px;”>then people are not tempted to make you break the diet.  And TBH, your friends, work colleagues, people you meet will be complete arseholes … ” just have one drink with me”, “have a little bit of cake” etc… for them it becomes entertainment.</span>

I’m not someone who “needs” to diet and always find when I do (so I don’t end up having to) that even those who mean well try and derail me.

paton
    Free Member
    paton
    Free Member

docgeoffyjones

<span style=”font-family: Helvetica, sans-serif;”>I have been following the wild diet which is low carb/GI.</span>

<span style=”font-family: Helvetica, sans-serif;”>Since the 2nd Jan I have lost 21lbs with relatively little exercise. My plan is to focus on the diet mainly now while the weather is rubbish and will up my exercise as the weather improves and adjust my carb intake if I feel I need to.</span>

<span style=”font-family: Helvetica, sans-serif;”>I have found that eating less carbs means I am less hungry so can easliy fast now till lunch time.</span>

Loads of great info at http://fatburningman.com/

all the best.

Poopscoop

Ok guys,

First weeks update!

Weight measured same time of day, similar clothes.

20 stone 3lb.

Physiologically feel better to have started rather than putting the diet off.

Had a big omelette earlier with lots of cheese. Will have 3 burgers in a bit with cheese, mayo and a tonne of veg. No buns obvs.

Hunger not been an issue as expected having done is carb in the past.

Thanks for links/vids above by the way guys !

Inbred456
    Free Member

Good luck been their done it. Pleased with the results. Lost about 5 stone. Easy to maintain as well. My carbs consist mainly of veg. No pasta bread, potatoes or pastry. No added sugar. Have upped my protein a bit. Don’t feel hungry no hunger pangs.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

well done mate. I weighed less than you and didn’t need to lose so much but I did low carb last January and lost a stone and a half which got me below my target weight.

I’ve kept that weight off despite now eating carbs again. Mainly I find that I just can’t eat as many as I could before.

nickc

well done poop, keep it up!!

Poopscoop

Second week update.

About 9lb lost, currently 19st 9lb…

Has hoped to lose a little more than that but still not bad!

I suspect some rather large cheese laced omelettes might have had an effect but shouldn’t have in theory. Odd.

Will be cutting them down next week to see!

Hunger not an issue and drinking lots of fluids still.

somafunk

Well done for sticking with it so far, it may help you with weight loss/fat as a fuel source if you supplement your diet with additional exogenous ketones, for more info check out https://blog.bulletproof.com/85-in-a-state-of-ketosis-with-dominic-dagostino-podcast/

Cougar

Has hoped to lose a little more than that but still not bad!

Not bad?  Nine pounds in a week is hardly insubstantial.  That’s two 2-litre pop bottles. If I did that I’d probably be in hospital now.

Losing weight too fast isn’t healthy, you’re here for the long game and not a quick fix remember.

cornholio98
    Free Member

My boss is doing something similar. So far he has lost maybe 75 lbs in the first year. 20lbs in the first month.

He was eating once a day originally now he only eats 5-6 times a week. Still we went out to lunch and he ate 2lbs of meat (after cooking) for his meal… no sodas ever even diet, no snacks or sweets…

i think secretly he dreams of being a lion feasting once a week on a gazelle…

sr0093193
    Free Member

<span style=”background-color: #eeeeee; color: #444444; font-size: 16px;”>I suspect some rather large cheese laced omelettes might have had an effect but shouldn’t have in theory. Odd.

</span>

It’s not that odd. Reducing carbs is a method of calorie reduction. Ketosis, Atkins, IF etc are all methods that reduce your calorie intake.

If you replace 3000 calories of bread with 3000 calories of cheese what’s going to change? You eluded to the underlying issue in your first post – sitting down, eating too much – calories in v calories out in it’s simplest form.

If you’ve found a method that works, has motivated you to eat less and do more and you can stick to it then great but don’t be disheartened if you find the weight loss slows – it’s about changing your attitude to food and activity as much as it is what you eat.

weeksy

Fantastic work fella…. 9lb in a week even at a big start weight is absolutely EPIC ! Well done !

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Tim Noakes – typical scientist.

“Don’t eat fat, eat carbs”

“Don’t eat eggs”

“Don’t eat carbs”

“Stay hydrated”

“Eat eggs”

“Don’t drink too much, drink to thirst”

Honestly, I don’t know why people pay so much attention to him. By his own admission he doesn’t know why this or that works. Pseudo-science that SEEMS to make sense to the gullible.

molgrips
    Free Member

Re cheese – I find it *very* filling and satisfying, and reduces carb cravings.

By his own admission he doesn’t know why this or that works.

Typical non-scientist expecting simple answers to complex problems then whining when they don’t exist 🙂

Read, understand principles, and experiment.  Lots of ways to solve the problem, and loads of personal variables.  Figure out what works.  To the OP – nearly 18lbs in 2 weeks is very good, keep at it until it stops working then start making adjustments.

If you replace 3000 calories of bread with 3000 calories of cheese what’s going to change?

Lots of things.  Insulin response, also satiety and appetite.  Try eating a plateful of chips – nom nom, they go down very easily.  Now try eating a plateful of carrots – you’d get fed up after about 1/4 of it, and have consumed fewer calories.

Satiety is a very complex thing.  Humans aren’t simple machines.  As shown by the OP – he’s lost 18lbs in two weeks.  According to simple theory that would mean a 4500 calorie deficit PER DAY, which is clearly not possible unless he’s been on an arctic expedition at the same time.

retro83
    Free Member

Cougar
    Losing weight too fast isn’t healthy

Why’s that Cougar?

DezB
    Free Member

Interested in how you plan to keep the weight off once the low -carb thing is done, or target weight reached. Mate of mine did the Atkins years ago, worked really well, bought new trousers etc… Stopped the diet and put it all back on again (pretty much the story with fad diets, IME).

Is the low-carb thing sustainable long term, or will you just eat sensibly once the crash is complete?

trickydisco
    Free Member

If you replace 3000 calories of bread with 3000 calories of cheese what’s going to change?

There are metabolic differences in the type of calories you eat. Did you know fructose can only be processed in the liver

“fructose can only be metabolized by your liver, because your liver is the only organ that has the transporter for it.3

Take a look at this image:

This shows the metabolic pathways for food. pretty complicated i’d say.

For me it’s quite simple. Insulin is responsible for fat storage and fat utilisation. Reduce the amount of insulin then you’ll reduce the amount of fat you store. The added benefit of low carb is it increases satiety.It’s often hard to over eat on low carb. it’s very easy to overeat on high carb.

“Our body gains or loses fat according to detailed hormonal instructions from our brain. The rise and fall of insulin is the main stimulus to weight gain. So, food that stimulate insulin are typically more fattening (cookies). Those that do not (kale) are typically not fattening at all. If the body cares about insulin (and other hormones too, but mostly insulin), then we need to use the common currency, speak the common language of the body. Insulin.”

https://medium.com/personal-growth/the-useless-concept-of-calories-50831730cc81

Effects of a high-protein ketogenic diet on hunger, appetite, and weight loss in obese men feeding ad libitum

“In the short term, high-protein, low-carbohydrate ketogenic diets reduce hunger and lower food intake significantly more than do high-protein, medium-carbohydrate nonketogenic diets.”

Well done OP!

theotherjonv

so are pork scratchings dietary supplements now?

I’m in……..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 167 total)

The topic ‘Started my low carb diet today, 21 stone, going to update weekly.’ is closed to new replies.