• This topic has 166 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by paton.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 167 total)
  • Started my low carb diet today, 21 stone, going to update weekly.
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I gained back weight after losing it the first time I did iDiet.  But then, that was because I went back to how I was eating before, so it’s to be expected…

shermer75
    Free Member

>Is the low-carb thing sustainable long term, or will you just eat sensibly once the crash is complete?

It can be for some people. My sister and bil have been doing it for years, they just made it their regular diet. They’re both super into their mountain biking and my sister reckons it stops her from fatiguing during races. However, she is a particularly strong willed individual and may well be making it work through shere bloody mindedness alone lol

paton
    Free Member
    Poopscoop

This week’s update:

Down to 18st 6Lb.

So 4Lb lost. I suspect it should be a little more but constipated at the moment so will increase the veg to aid that. 😳 lol

Not far from the weight my turbo can take to allow me to go on Zwift. 🚴 🙂

weeksy

Congrats sir !

Poopscoop

Getting there.

I honestly feel so much better already. I felt like I waddled as i walked and I no longer wheeze as i breath. 😃

Poopscoop

This week’s update.

Lost 5lb, down to 18st 1lb. 🙂

Looking forward to getting below 18st next week.

Then in can start Zwifting which should help the weight loss and fitness a lot. 😉

Tiger6791

Good work 👍

dantsw13

Poopscoop – we’ll done! When I was hardcore low-carbing last year, I found sticking to the diet easier if I didn’t try too much hard exercise.

Try an early morning fasted ride on swift too. Steady cardio zone rather than full out, for max fat burning.

martinhutch

How soon after starting did people find that their energy levels for riding started recovering? – I understand that there will be a transition period after starting a low-carb diet where adaptation has not yet happened, so the muscles are looking for something you’re not providing.

I’m about a week in, not feeling rough day-to-day, but tried my normal 20 mile loop today, and it was Godawful – felt like the legs were full of lactate within a few seconds of real effort. Somehow scraped up the main climb but just couldn’t get the legs back after that.

If it’s going to take weeks and weeks I may have to go back to a Low GI, medium carb diet so I can fuel my spring rides.

One of the problems I suppose is that I’m calorie-deprived as well as carb-deprived. I’m eating a fair amount of good stuff but only hitting 1,600 calories a day max.

Inbred456
    Free Member

For all those wondering if it is for them just try it. It’s not a diet because once you try it it just becomes the norm. No massive hunger pangs or sugar crashes just sustained weight loss then normal low carb eating to maintain your weight. Cut out the white pasta and bread and white rice. Replace with wholemeal varieties and cut the quantity down to about a quarter. Increase the veg and fibre and don’t forget good fat and good protein. Think of sugar as poison. Snack on Nuts and fruit. Eggs are great for low carb. What I have noticed more over the 3 or so years I’ve been low carb Is I’ve become leaner but with more noticeable muscle. The fat just seems to disappear. I have tried to make an effort to include more weight training as well as cycling. That has made a massive difference to my overall fitness. I can honestly say I have never felt hungry and sometimes have to remember to eat.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Martin I felt the same as you. Remember to eat some fat to get your fuel for riding. It takes a bit longer to convert to energy but you will be able to sustain much longer rides eventually. I don’t bonk anymore because I’m fuelling myself from fat not carbs. I remember feeling crap for about the first 3-4 miles then realising that I was getting faster over time when everybody else was getting tired! One other strange thing is my water consumption decreased. I think that’s because I am not processing carbs maybe.

somafunk

You may find it beneficial to supplement your regime with a ketone supplement to aid fat burning, good info Here by Ben Greenfield & Dominic D’Agostino

martinhutch

So you eat fat immediately pre-ride in the same way you’d eat carbs? What kind of stuff? How long after starting did it take you to start feeling as good on climbs etc as you did when you were carb-fuelled? I’m hoping some weight loss will help with this too.

shooterman

Keep going!

molgrips
    Free Member

The iDave diet stipulated you eat as much as you want from the allowed foods. So no need to restrict calories as well. I find it too hard to do both.

Re getting used to it – I never get fully acxustoacc to it, I always need to supplement with some carbs around the riding. But that may be because I am a type II person rather than type I.

Poopscoop

Some interesting info there lads, thanks.

I reckon I am going to feel pretty bad on Zwift for a while….. Then again I did anyway! Lol

Poopscoop

17 stone 11lb today, so 4lb lost this week.

Time to get Zwift all sorted. 😀

Tiger6791

Great work again 👍

Poopscoop

Really looking forward to Zwift, got to find the bloody fans though!

Tiger6791

They are at the side of the road clapping usually on the London routes

👍😀🤗👏

Poopscoop

😂

I love my adoring fans as I sprint in for last place! 😃

pandhandj
    Free Member

Great work poopers, after following your progress, I’m going to try this…eventually. 😎

matt_outandabout

Nice one poopsy, you must be feeling and seeing a difference now.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Going great so far! Well done sir.

I was about 22 stone around 10 years ago. Did exercise and fad diets on and off for years, dropped a stone here and there.

Since I rediscovered cycling a bout 3 1/2 years ago and see a personal trainer, I’m not currently 14st 9lbs and the fittest I’ve ever been (33 years old, 6ft 2ins).

The key for me was to find something you enjoy and not to fret about falling off the wagon food wise. Just carry on and don’t guilt yourself over treats 🙂

I don’t have any end goal in mind, just keep doing what I’m doing.

dantsw13

Martin hutch – I often find I struggle up the first hill, but get better, almost as if the first hill is a switch.

Poopscoop

This week’s update 17.5lb, so 6lb lost this week. 😃

Zwift setup should be ready in a few days too!

weeksy

That’s amazing going! I’m astounded at your performance

bodgy
    Free Member

Well done, Poopscoop, truly inspirational; bought myself a set of scales (arrived in the post today, 19st 6lb. Eeek!)  and will be reading your posts with interest. If I can get back down to between 14 – 15st I’ll be happy.

Keep up the good work, buddy!

leffeboy

Incredible progress.  I really wouldn’t have thought it would have been sustainable.  Huge respect.  If you’ve done any before/after photos they must look great

Poopscoop

17stone spot on this week!

5lb loss.

I’ve gone from wheezing and puffing just walking around to feeling almost how I used to.

Now to get actually fitter rather than lighter but only “sofa fit”. Not so hard when Spring finally arrives! 😃

shermer75
    Free Member

Following this with interest, keep it up!! 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Nice.

Take it easy on the exercise at first.  If you go nuts you might create unstoppable cravings for sweet stuff – that’s what happens to me, anyway.

martinhutch

I hope you’ve been taking pictures so we can make a freaky disappearing Poopscoop gif.

weeksy

That’s again just remarkable mate…. Absolutely remarkable.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Well done PS. It is remarkable how the weight just falls off and it has nothing it would seem to do with fat consumption more carb consumption. People have remarked how have I kept the weight off I just tell them I eat low carb. It’s not a diet it’s a lifestyle thing.

Poopscoop

16 stone 10 this week. 😃

Poopscoop

16 stone 8lb so a smaller loss of 2lb… But still going the right way. 😃

Junkyard
    Free Member

good effort make sure it becomes a lifestyle change

shermer75
    Free Member

One of the unfortunate things about weight loss is that as you approach your goal you lose less weight each week (although if you expressed it as a percentage of your current weight the difference would be much less!) which can obviously be demoralizing, but you can see why that’s the case, right? 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 167 total)

The topic ‘Started my low carb diet today, 21 stone, going to update weekly.’ is closed to new replies.