• This topic has 166 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by paton.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 167 total)
  • Started my low carb diet today, 21 stone, going to update weekly.
  • paton
    Free Member
    paton
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Had slow progress recently, despite being ok with diet but not doing a ton exercise.  Then I remembered how the iDave diet stressed the importance of re-feed days when I hadn’t been doing them.  So on Saturday I pigged out, and went up 0.6kg.  This morning I’m 0.2kg lower than I was Saturday morning…  Let’s see how I do this week.

DezB
    Free Member

The normal diet, by definition, is currently one that is causing people to become fatter and fatter.

I was gonna leave this thread to poopscoop’s updates, but nah – not when someone can come out with such garbage as that.

Who’s becoming fatter and fatter? There are 12 people in this (pretty average IT) office and only 2 are overweight – one of those smokes and does no exercise, the other is on a diet and buying a bike.

Because the other 10 all do “Regular Exercise”. Or is “regular exercise” like “balanced diet”  – has to be defined in minute detail into heart rates, power meterage and distances?

oikeith

Good work to the OP and others that have done other diets and kept the weight off. I myself used MyFitnessPal at a reasonable level (2100 calories daily) and it really showed to me how much I was pigging out portion wise. I got that under control and lost two stone.

The other eye opener for me with MFP was that activities I was doing didn’t burn half as many calories as I thought and how bad some foods were for calories. The sunday morning bike ride hadn’t actually burnt enough calories to consume the fry up afterwards! Hell it had barely burned enough calories for the lucozade I had drunk during!

Eat less and exercise more really is the answer. whichever diet you use to eat less 5:2, atkins, low carb etc good on you!

trickydisco
    Free Member

Who’s becoming fatter and fatter? There are 12 people in this (pretty average IT) office and only 2 are overweight – one of those smokes and does no exercise, the other is on a diet and buying a bike.

maybe by your extremely small sample size but have you read any news/stats on obesity. It’s a bit of a problem

“Obesity levels in the UK have more than trebled in the last 30 years and, on current estimates, more than half the population could be obese by 2050.”

Europe’s obesity league:

UK: 24.9%
    Ireland: 24.5%
    Spain: 24.1%
    Portugal: 21.6%
    Germany: 21.3%
    Belgium: 19.1%
    Austria: 18.3%
    Italy: 17.2%
    Sweden: 16.6%
    France: 15.6%

https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/Pages/statistics-and-causes-of-the-obesity-epidemic-in-the-UK.aspx

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2648644

“he prevalence of obesity has doubled in 73 countries around the world and steadily increased in others since 1980, and health problems resulting from being overweight or obese now affect more than 2 billion people, according to a study by an international group of researchers published in the New England Journal of Medicine.”

paton
    Free Member
    docgeoffyjones

This is all great info but ultimately meaningless when compared to the data Debz has collected from the 11 people he works with.

Jamie
    Free Member

If Zoe Harcombe is being used as a source then we might be in trouble.

Poopscoop

3rd week update.

Not a happy bunny. Down from 19.9 to 19.4 so only 5lb loss this week.

Got to pin down why. Been having lots of omelettes and although very low carb I suspect they might be the issue. Was actually hoping to have broken 19stone this week.

No matter, will see how I get on next week. 😀

alcolepone
    Free Member

Thinking about doing the idave diet. Poopscoop what meals are you doing? Egg an sausage and beans for breakfast sounds good. But what about lunch. We currently already cook a fair amount of veg so don’t think evening meal will be difficult to adjust to.

Jamie
    Free Member

only 5lb loss this week.

Have you tried cutting out the protein and fats as well. Reckon that should help shift the weight a bit quicker.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

5lbs in a week is a big loss by any standards.  Dont health experts/drs advise against rapid weight loss?  My understanding is that it’s unhealthier and more likely to fail as opposed to a steady, gradual loss as part of permanent lifestyle changes?

Jamie
    Free Member

I think it depends on how husky the person is beforehand. For example if you’re 100lb over, 5-10lb a week is easily doable.

docgeoffyjones

5lbs is a good loss. What you are doing is working so stick to it. the hardest part of weight loss is the waiting.

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

@ poopscoop. I don’t think it’s the omelettes a 4 egg omelette only contains 25 g of protein.

I eat 3 omelettes a week with bacon, cream cheese,and mushrooms fried in butter it’s the added fat that stops the hunger.

Eating too much protein on a low carb diet, will cause the liver to convert the amino acids found in protein into sugar,this can seriously halt your weight
    loss And spike insulin causing premature hunger.

Reduce your protein intake a little, increase your fat intake, and lots and lots of salad /Veges.

Have you thought about intermittent fasting,this is something I started last week and has been a huge help in weight loss, but also given me more energy as the body runs on fat.

Oh and don’t forget, you’ve lost a stone in 3 weeks, you feel better,you’ll look better and there’s more to come.

sr0093193
    Free Member

Because your made of more than just body fat Poop. The foods you’ve stopped eating are more than just carbohydrates. You body is using its glycogen stores to compensate for the lack of carbs and reduced salt intake can reduce water retention – as I said previously don’t be surprised if it slows down just keep with it if you find it’s a manageable way to not eat more than you need.

You might find measuring things like around your belly, thighs, arms etc gives you a better idea of whats going on than merely weight.

Tiger6791

only 5lb loss this week.

Thats nearly half a stone in a week! WTF are you expecting?

Jamie
    Free Member

the hardest part of weight loss is the waiting.

I’d say it’s keeping it off.

somafunk

The initial large weight loss will be down to your reduced intake of carbohydrates , your body stores water due to your carbohydrate consumption, it’s not exact science but the latest research from Johns Hopkins shows that an average body will gain 2.7g of water for every gram of glycogen stored from 1g of carbohydrate intake, your kidneys will tend to hold onto water soluble sodium due to carbohydrate intake

i am not a scientist but due to living with ms i have a very healthy interest in diet/immune response/nutritional uptake/gut microbial and general diet related health woo woo and i’m currently in a ms gut micriobiom clinical research group to serve as a possible cure or to reverse MS,

Just had a meeting my consultant today, we didn’t really discuss my condition in much detail at all (apart from the essentials) but we did spend 30 mins over coffee discussing the latest gut microbiom research with reference to how our western diet has changed dramatically over the previous few decades and the effect it subsequently has to our long term health prospects.

summation? :  stop eating processed foods, cut out all additional sugars/processed veg oils and reduce carbohydrate intake

km79
    Free Member

Speaking from experience (23 stone to 14.5 stone), I would stick to trying to shift 1.5 to 2 lbs a week and doing it over a longer period of time. More than this can be a bonus every now and then but I wouldn’t be trying for it every week or even very often. You will be much more likely to crash and burn and end up bigger than you started.

Give your body time to adjust to gradual weight loss and the changes that go along with that and you will end up healthier, better looking (skin has more time to adapt), happier and give youself a much better chance of keeping it off.

Keeping it off is the battle. you need to get yourself into a managable and sustainable regime and stick to it the rest of your days. You can do this losing 1.5 to 2lbs a week and come time to adapt to a maintenance regime it will be an easier transition than trying to go from starvation (5lbs + a week) to healthy.

It’s unlikely that you put the weight on at a rate of 5lbs a week so take it easy on yourself and take it off gradually and be one of the 3% that manages to keep it off rather than the 97% who put it all back on and then some.

Don’t believe me? Take a look at the biggest loser contestants who were losing 5 lbs+ every week over 6months and see what they look like now a couple of years later. And that was with ‘help from the pros’.

docgeoffyjones

I’d say it’s keeping it off.

I agree but you do have to get there first.

BadlyWiredDog

There was an interesting outsideonline podcast recently where they spoke to an obesity researcher and author about why eating too much of the wrong stuff is hardwired into the brain:

http://outside.prx.org/2018/02/dispatches-ep-15-your-hungry-brain-is-making-you-fat/

It’s quite basic stuff, but interesting and actually has some basic solutions: stuff like not leaving unhealthy snack foods openly visible in your kitchen and – yes I know this is obvious – not buying them in the first place.

Slightly more involved than that – goes into the fundamentals of why we crave sugary stuff – and even as someone who’s doesn’t have weight issues, an interesting take on why it’s so hard to change long-term dietary habits.

molgrips
    Free Member

only 5lb loss this week.

Only?

That’s huge.  Do not change what you are doing until you hit a plateau.  I am not sure what on earth your expectations are, but they seem unrealistic.  If it were an easy quick fix then there’d be no fat people.  5lbs  a week is serious weight loss.  Trying to go quicker will be unsustainable I reckon.

BillOddie

You’ve slowed down losing water for the reasons Somafunk has stated.

If you think you’ve dropped 5lbs of fat you’re probably going to be disappointed.

5lbs = 2.3kg

2.3kg of fat  = 20,700 cals

As soon as you start eating carbs again guess whats going to happen?  Yep! You’ll pull in more water!  Which means the scales will read higher.

As an aside, measuring how much  force that gravity exerts upon your body is a really shitty way of measuring body composition and progress in the improvement of body composition.

Did you measure your waist, thighs, chest, upper arms etc before you started?  Any difference after 3 weeks? Clothes fitting differently?

Have you been counting calories as well as carb grams? If I was 21 stone (circa 133kg) I would be shooting for 3500cals per day with 2g per kg of protein, 2g per kg of carb with the rest of your cals coming from fat.

I’m about 100kg and since the new year I have been averaging about 3200cals per day.  Lost over an inch of my waist, abs are starting to come through and rest of the body is defo looking more cut.

I have been aiming for equal thirds of cals coming from Protein, carbs and Fat.

The above is combined with heavy weight training 4 times a week, a bike ride a week (if I’m lucky), walking for an hour a day for commute/at lunch and coaching rugby a couple of times a week.

I’ve not lost any strength on my bench, squat, deadlift or OHP since cutting back the cals.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you think you’ve dropped 5lbs of fat you’re probably going to be disappointed.

5lbs = 2.3kg

2.3kg of fat = 20,700 cals

That’s assuming that the only way for fat to leave the body is to convert it into physical work.. not sure that’s true.  We all know people who can eat what they like and stay skinny without doing loads of exercise.  Question is, where do those calories go?

barrykellett
    Free Member

Fat leaves the body as CO2 and H2O

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah but why and how?  What triggers that chemical reaction?  Is there more than one stimulus triggering lipolysis or lipogenesis?

theotherjonv

it gets converted to muscle, everyone knows that 😉

docgeoffyjones

I agree with molgrips. Stick to what you are doing (which is working really well) until you plateau. Then review and make a change.

BillOddie

Yeah but why and how?  What triggers that chemical reaction?  Is there more than one stimulus triggering lipolysis or lipogenesis?

Magic or pixie dust.

Poopscoop

This week’s update.

Now 18st 10lb.

That’s about 13lb loss in the week.

Fasted for 2 individual days…. Obviously helped!

rene59
    Free Member

How many lbs do you think there are in a stone?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

All very commendable, but what’s the statistics on diets not working and people ending up weighing more than they did before ? 9/10 ?

Poopscoop

Rene…..Doh!

Yes,lost 8Lb!

I went all metric for a second, sorry guys.

Still, under 19st which is great to see on the scales. 🙂

flap_jack
    Free Member

“I’d say it’s keeping it off.”

Jamie, i’m 15kg down and it’s stayed off. Not saying it works for everyone, but sure has for me.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Going Low carb isn’t a diet it’s a change of  mindset. Once you stop eating carbs there are no cravings. You feel generally much better with higher energy levels. Stable blood sugar with no crashes. It’s easy to maintain. You become lean, burn fat much faster it’s a win win. Got to be better than peeing about counting points or calories. Just cut the carbs and increase your fibre greens, protein and fat a bit. Greek yogurt has become my go to pudding with a few seeds and berries.

lambchop
    Free Member

OP,  are you drinking any alcohol whilst doing your weight loss thing? I did the iDave a few years ago and went from 15.5 stone to 11.5, most of that time I abstained from booze. Since then then the weight slowly crept back up to 15.5, but I was drinking, snacking.

I went Vegan in January and am sticking with it. Not worrying about carbs at all and the weight is dropping off. Eating really well and rarely go hungry, not experienced any spikes or fatigue, and nothing with a face died in the process. Drinking on and off too.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 167 total)

The topic ‘Started my low carb diet today, 21 stone, going to update weekly.’ is closed to new replies.