Home Forums Bike Forum SRAM eagle cassette life expectancy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SRAM eagle cassette life expectancy
  • peter1979
    Free Member

Bought my bike in sept/Oct and obviously it was a pretty crappy winter for mud and grime but I only ride once a week at most.
    Snapped my chain a couple of weeks back, didn’t get the chance to check chain wear but hadn’t thought it would have worn that much. Replaced chain for SRAM GX and am finding that it sounds like a bag of spanners when riding and taking a look the chain seems to catch ever so slightly when in gear 8 and 6 on two particular teeth on adjacent cogs. The teeth don’t seem worn to the eye, not bent either. So is it likely I have worn the cassette out in this short period?
    I’ve used SRAM for last two bikes and been really happy with chain/cassette life previously.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’d be amazed if it was that quick, the GX cassette is still all steel like the higher level ones.

Both my X01 cassettes have done 5000+ km in all weathers & will still take a new chain. The wear rate is amazing.

peter1979
    Free Member

Yeah just to add the cassette is GX also. Seems crazy to have problems with such little use. Had the new chain fitted and bike serviced by reputable workshop.

mboy
    Free Member

What Hob Nob said… I’d be amazed if your cassette is worn! I’ve found that changing the chain when it gets to 0.75% wear on SRAM cassettes means I can get upwards of 5 chains to a cassette, before it will no longer accept a new chain! For my old X01 11spd cassette, this was well over 3000 miles. I’ve got 2k+ miles on an X01 Eagle cassette that I’ve had for 4 years now, and it’s still shifting like new!

peter1979
    Free Member

Shifting seems fine, it’s just making lots of noise so when I popped it in the workstand I noticed the chain catching on teeth on adjacent cogs. Seems to shift fine. The noise is very annoying.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

How worn was the chain you swapped out?

peter1979
    Free Member

Not sure as it snapped before I had the chance to measure wear. But as I mentioned, it had comparatively little use really. Once a week for about 6 months maybe max 20k rides at a time. Pretty crappy weather this winter, but even so, it was little use.

I guess then, what else other than wear can cause a chain to catch on teeth of adjacent cogs? Is it possible I e bent the teeth somehow?

Poopscoop

Would usually expect the shifting to be off at one end of the cassette usually but that said, I’d check the mech hanger alignment just in case.

Also check the B tension too.

Lastly is there a load of play in the mech/are the jockeys running ok?

peter1979
    Free Member

I don’t have the b screw tool jobbie to check for sure, but I assume that would have been done when it was in the workshop for a service. Could be wrong though.
    Jockey wheels are running fine and there doesn’t appear to be play in the mech.
    It really is a mystery. I’ve emailed the workshop to ask for some help but I’m not sure whether it is something that could have been picked up during the service and whether I should be paying money to have it looked at again or not.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SRAM eagle cassette life expectancy’ is closed to new replies.