Home Forums Bike Forum Specialized Chisel FS – Any feedback yet?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Specialized Chisel FS – Any feedback yet?
    v7fmp

Value and learned experience in frame a parts is the answer to that.   I for one in the main would rather buy a top end tried and tested model with plenty of feedback on discount than a potentially newer sub-model with none of that.

In relation to an alloy flexstay?

butterbean
    Free Member

but if you want an out and out XC bike, you dont get an Evo? just a regular Epic?

Which, other than spec changes & 10mm of fork travel, are the same bike. Which, for what its worth, IMO still don’t really make it a light duty trail/DC bike.

v7fmp

Which, other than spec changes & 10mm of fork travel, are the same bike. Which, for what its worth, IMO still don’t really make it a light duty trail/DC bike.

Yeah, fair point. I guess the last gen Epic is XC race machine, or Evo slightly rowdy XC race machine. Whereas the new one feels XC or DC.

Not that a label matters! They all cover ground at a fierce pace!

hyper_real

I’d thought this forum had an strange fixation with the Specialized Epic Evo. But looking at coconut’s post history, it’s clear that they are responsible for most of the threads about it. It doesn’t seem like Specialized stealth marketing but more a case of chronic buyer hesitation.

coconut
    Free Member

Might be worth reading the tread title. I have no plans to buy a Chisel. and have not stated this anywhere in this thread. Previous threads raised concerns regarding the weight, which put me off at the time. I do think it’s an interesting bike for the money and will appeal to the market, I’m asking what peoples thoughts who bought one are.

coconut
    Free Member

Not sure how many threads I previously posted regarding the Chisel, but sure has excited a few on here. I think it’s two other threads over the last couple of months. Can the post checkers confirm back ?

susepic

Well since you asked……I’m up to 4 threads that you implicitly expressed an interest in buying a Chisel (or an Epic Evo) Just go and buy one (of them) – you’ll love it. There is nothing new on this thread compared to anything on the other ones. (and yes you can call me sad…..but 10 mins downtime after a long teams call_

Asking shops for discounts?

coconutFree Member
    I would like a new Specialized Chisel FS frame, they’re just launched at £1,400. Is it reasonable to just come out and ask if they could offer a discount

Trail and Downcountry Thread:

coconutFree Member
    After some advice on whether the following two bike setup would work together.

…. So… I have an idea of getting the new Specialized Chisel FS

Specialized Chisel Thread:

coconutFree Member
    Just out a few hours ago!… The new Speialized Chisel looks an interesting XC/downcountry bike, 120mm front & 110mm rear. I think this is priced well (£2K for standard with a Recon, or £2.7k for the SID build)

Just one bike thread:

coconutFree Member
    . I keep trying to convince myself I need a short travel down country bike to compliment it as a second bike (like the Epic Evo – 120mm).

hyper_real

I just don’t understand why you’d be so motivated in gathering feedback for a bike which most people haven’t received yet, and which you have no interest in owning. Yes this may only be third thread you’ve opened on the Chisel specifically but the Chisel is an alloy Epic/Epic Evo with small geometry tweaks. Before Chisel you’ve started at least 5 threads about the Epic Evo.

I didn’t notice the pattern apart from that this forum seemed particularly interested in the Specialized Epic Evo. I was curious if that was just Specialized’s marketing being super effective or if it really is just a much better bike model than others in its category. But now I see that it’s the same poster constantly asking the same questions about Specialized FS bikes and seems to be hesitating over buying one for the last 6 months.

I can’t speak for everyone but I’m very interested in reviews and feedback for particular model right before buying it. After I’ve bought the bike I’d rather enjoy it and not read any more bike reviews as it just starts up the n+1 desire cycle again.

bitmuddytoday
    Free Member

In relation to an alloy flexstay?

They’ve been in use without issue for a long time before Specialized joined the party. Salsa and Kona for example.

v7fmp

They’ve been in use without issue for a long time before Specialized joined the party. Salsa and Kona for example.

absolutely. That’s why I am curious if that’s what the worry was, or if it’s something else. Merida have also been doing it for quite a while.

didnthurt

+14kg for an xc full sus bike sounds heavy to me.

I do like the engineering of the frame, but not light though for the travel.

farmerguy

The specialized chisel comp is 12.86kg

The cheap 2023 epic evo is 12.72kg

It would be very hard to notice 140g

farmerguy

I have been riding a chisel comp for a month now and it’s fantastic. The rear shock tune is very good, great balance of efficient but still enough suppleness for rougher stuff. I don’t bother with the lock out now, even on road.

Downhill performance is better than I expected, helped a bit by the slightly higher stack I think and the Sid fork is more controlled through its stroke than I thought it would be.

Components all seem good, brakes aren’t the strongest but I am used to TRP with 223 rotors on my big bikes so a bit of an unfair comparisons. Stock grips are awful, the specialized power saddle is a comfort revelation so will be getting that for my other bikes now.

Reason for ordering over an epic evo was the slightly more modern and trail orientated geo, especially the higher stack, shimano slx rather sram nx and the newer sid suspension rather than a very old design low spec rockshox Reba.

The epic evo makes sense if you are going to upgrade it to lighter parts later or go for a higher spec one

TomZesty

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/chisel-fs-thread.1232352/page-2

here you go @coconut – a couple on there who have ridden it and listed build weights.

v7fmp

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/chisel-fs-thread.1232352/page-2

here you go @coconut – a couple on there who have ridden it and listed build weights.

a couple of bloody lovely builds in there. Once the frames are in stock i will be buying one. I have toyed with the Epic Evo options, but i want aluminium and the updated geo. Will be a few weeks or so, but will report my findings back.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m fairly set on getting a Chisel Comp. Might have to wait until next year though unfortunately.

chestrockwell

Still can’t seem to be able to quote but following the reply above and my post on a previous thread, the chap I spoke to in the specialized Store in Harrogate reckoned that the better Chisel was a touch lighter than the cheapest Epic Evo 8 according to their scales.

Tom-B
    Free Member

What’s the deal with the ‘8’ in the epics? I know the difference between normal Epic and Evo…not sussed what an 8 is though? (Apologies if it’s incredibly obvious, I don’t really follow bike stuff much…..I know, peak STWer!)

susepic

8 = 8th generation I believe

racefaceec90

further to my earlier post about pre ordering the cheapest chisel fs bike. i know that it isn’t light etc but just wanted to get one before the middle of next year (as i have a ride planned hopefully for it).

i do plan on lightening it as funds allow but the base model will keep us riding as i’m doing so. just very much looking forward to February 2025  now :-)

hopefiendboy

I’d sooner have an epic 8 base model over the chisel tbh

LAT

But the base epic is about 40% more expensive than the most expensive chisel.

as an aside, my local specialized dealer which is owned by specialized, no less has 2 high end epic evo 8’s and a couple of stumpjumpers at over 11,000 Canadian, but they have no plans to stock the Chisel FS.

I guess they know their market, but the chisel isn’t that far from the epic evo and they already have the new status, do it isn’t the “cheapness”. That said, an inexpensive park bike probably appeals to a bigger market than a similarly priced xc bike.

rapidrob95
    Free Member

My thoughts echo what Farmerguy said. I’ve had my FS comp a couple of weeks now, did two 40 miles rides this week and each time I ride it I’m convinced I made a good choice! My reasoning against a reduced epic was that I preferred the spec list of the chisel comp and didn’t want to have to upgrade or swap parts.

It’s done really well on and around the ridgeway so far.

ogden
    Free Member

What price are these base spec Epics? Give me £3k and I bet I can build a nicer bike on one of the Chisel FS frame only deals.

didnthurt

Definitely looks like the last Cannondale Scalpel (circa 2018) with the flex seat stay.

I wonder how it’s ride compares to a four bar design.

Odd that Specialized have moved to a single pivot/faux bar from a four bar, where Cannondale have done the opposite with their Scalpel design.

didnthurt

Would you not prefer a Cannondale Scalpel? I bet it’s a good bit lighter than an alloy Chisel FS.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cannondale/Scalpel-4-mountain-Bike-2024/12MZ7

racefaceec90

well they said that my chisel wouldn’t arrive until feb 2025, but when i emailed the manager saying that i would be in next week to pay another installment towards the bike (am selling my guitar and mini amp) Dave the manager replied the bike has turned up early :-D

i plan on going in tomorrow afternoon to see it (paying the next installment as well). will take some pics of it if i can.

feels like crimbo has come early lol.

v7fmp

@racefaceec90 – remind me, what model and colour did you go for? And size?

Looking forward to seeing some pics :)

racefaceec90

@v7fmp am going for one of these in the red colour small  https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/chisel/p/4221775?color=5382740-4221775

racefaceec90

20240909_14322220240909_14321520240909_14323420240909_14322820240909_143309

racefaceec90

20240909_14332820240909_14333720240909_14332020240909_14343620240909_143342

racefaceec90

ha they uploaded woohoo.

love the bike when i saw it i have to say (well i would say that).

it is heavy no doubt about that (reckon 30lb or so at a guess). but i will call it resistance  training when i get to ride it.

i do plan on upgrading it when funds allow.

cannot wait to ride it now (in around 6 months time or so lol).

v7fmp

@racefaceec90 – lovely looking bit of kit!

racefaceec90

@v7fmp thank you am very much looking forward to riding it :-)

Rickos
    Free Member
    susepic

in around 6 months time or so

Bet before end of the week you’ll be working out how to get that out on the trails earlier…..?

dlr

Did they supply it with the front hose routed that way? Very nice colour

racefaceec90

@dlr i think so but not sure tbh.

snotrag

Yep, I’d be whipping that caliper off and routing the hose correctly inside the fork. 2 minute job.

snotrag

Oh and – the colour is wonderful!

Always amazing how customers phone pics often make the bikes look better than the PR shots on the websites!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.