Home Forums Bike Forum Sonder MTB wheels, real world experience please

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sonder MTB wheels, real world experience please
  • danmac
    Free Member

Anyone have any experience with the sonder wheel offerings? Im looking to get an transmitter frame and new wheel set as current is qr rear and dont want the faff of re-hubbing. Reason i ask, is that i can get them both on the same c2w voucher if bought at one place. Also open to suggestions on other shops i can get a nice aggro HT and wheelset.

Thanks in advance

ampthill

I sit with 2 sonder owners at work

One has the older mudlove wheels on his transmitter. The 27.5 + ones. A rim split and they replaced the rim. It split again and he got a whole new wheel

The other guy has a new broken road. Wheels have been fine. But DUB bottom bracket is as ever hopeless. They paid for a new one to be fitted

In summary

Excellent back up

I’d buy for an unexciting but usable set of wheels

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve got a set of the more expensive Alpha 27.5+ wheels on a Specialized Turbo Levo and so far they’ve been fine – still true, tubeless tyres went up easily and the freehub engages really quickly and makes a loud noise. The cheaper, Nova wheelsets have a reputation for being a bit on the heavy side. So basically have been fine for me so far.

I also ride a Transmitter, which is a great frame for the money. The b+ tyres give it loads of float and plenty of grip. Just a really good value, deceptively fast bike. Found Sonder / Alpkit good to deal with too. I don’t think you can go far wrong, but obviously other shops/brands are available.

dove1

I have Sonder Alpha 29 wheels on my Broken Road and they have been great for the 14 months I have had them. Not too heavy, sturdy enough and easy to set up tubeless.

johnx2
    Free Member

One has the older mudlove wheels on his transmitter. The 27.5 + ones.

I think those are what I’ve got. Been fine. Easy enough to set up tubeless. I alternate bikes but they’ve had a reasonable amount of riding (Moors/Dales/Lakes) over the last couple of years and this is the longest I’ve ever thought about them.

breninbeener

Alphas are better than the Novas i believe.

They are lighter and more durable

Ian

danmac
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Bit of a mixed bag but not too bad. Should be ok for how im riding anyway. Not like im smashing double blacks every weekend in a gnarly way. May still go with a nukeproof scout frame and horizon wheel set. On another note wheel related, has anyone got any positives to running plus size rear on a mullett?

johnnystorm

I’ve done about 400km on my Alpha 29s fitted to my Evol. Most of that was in Suffolk so gentle but they have been smashed through the rocks in the Peak District for a couple of rides and are still fine fwiw.

Other positives are they went up tubeless with zero hassles and that was just with a thin strip of tape up the middle.

Depending on your POV the freehub is loud. Fine when solo or going for it. But for when you want to have a chat or keep an ear out for your kids it’s a bit much!

VanHalen

I’ve got the sonder alpha 27.5s and all the spokes came loose on the rear wheel the second ride so i had to re-tension/true it up , hub is fine – not loud at all, the schwalbe hans dampf always weeped sealant at the bead unless i put loads of PSI in it – went up OK though i’ve put a layer of gaffer tape on it now to help it seal.

I’ve gone back to my old wheel on the ebike now as its seems to be waaay more robust and never weeped sealant (i bought a new rim and internals to do this after riding the sonders). The sonders are now on the HT which doesnt get as much abuse.

so just about OK for non-gnar purposes is my verdict – not that happy really but they were cheap!

the ebike is used for mainly jumpy dh fun. Well so it the HT but i dont ride it much due to teh ebike! and i call it trail riding as i have to pedal up!

montylikesbeer

I have novas on the two wheel sets for my Camino.

The origonal set with the resolute 42’s have done some fairly hefty off road and trail use.

I do have a truing stand and have checked them out a couple of times and they are in pretty good nick after 12 months usage.

The second set with 28mm gatorskins have been used for road use and are spot on after 8 months.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sonder MTB wheels, real world experience please’ is closed to new replies.