Home Forums Bike Forum Sock length question

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Sock length question
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

It would seem I’m of a generation that gives themselves away by wearing socks that are too low.

Normally with shorts, cycling and casual, my socks are above the ankle bones. It seems they “should” be mid calf

The question I have is how on earth do you stop mid calf socks slipping down? They soon end up near the ankle.

mashr

Exactly how skinny are your legs?

Also, long socks are what Dad used to wear. There’s no good way out of this trend for us

stevious

1 – wear whatever length of sock you like. Don’t waste a moment of your limited time on this earth worrying about what you ‘should’ be wearing.

2 – the only mid calf socks I have that stay up are fairly pricy ones from defeet, pongo and the like. They’re nice socks though so I don’t mind having spent a bit on them.

Haze

Mid calf on and off the bike, tan lines…

Bruce

Socks are the work of the devil cast them aside, free your feet from sock tyrany.

Tracey

Depends on the weather. Don’t have a problem with any falling down

Onzadog
    Free Member

They really aren’t . I think it might be the flex/relax cycle of the calf that walks them down.

rOcKeTdOg

Mid calf, predominantly black in colour, anyone who wears trainer socks to ride it needs ignoring at the very least and a re-educational beating at best

jimmy748

3/4 pairs of Hope socks a year bought a Ard Rock for £5 a pair does me, perfect length.

https://shop.hopetech.com/18820/products/riding-socks–hope-logo.aspx

sirromj

I never wear my socks pulled up, why would you?

failedengineer

Am I the only one who thinks mid calf socks look a bit geeky?  1/4 socks are the way to go, surely?

matt_outandabout

Seems I’m an unfashionable heathen, still wearing trainers socks regularly on summer rides…

didnthurt

Mid calf! My tan lines would indicate my socks are 5 inches above the centre of my ankle bone. I’ve bought socks before that were too low, just didn’t feel right.

didnthurt

The real question is “what aero socks should I wear on my ebike?”

andrewh
    Free Member

Probably about three inches above that sticky out knobbly bone.

Sometimes, through chance, I get a matching pair out of the drawer

robertajobb

Jesus* sandals.  Then the length of your socks really wont be the talking point.

(*Other religious themed footwear may be available).

andrewh
    Free Member

Jesus* sandals. Then the length of your socks really wont be the talking point.

(*Other religious themed footwear may be available).

He started out with a pair of loafers and two fishing waders and managed to clothe a lot of folks, became known as the feeting of the 5,000

Onzadog
    Free Member

So he really was here to save our soles?

andrewh
    Free Member

Well, he was if you believe that the bible is the literal word of god. But if course some people think it’s a load of old cobblers

sirromj

So he really was here to save our soles

Or keep them clean at least.

didnthurt

The real hero of the Bible was Toses. I’ll get me coat.

thols2

Probably about three inches above that sticky out knobbly bone.

Exactly. Your kneecap will stop your socks falling down.

dyna-ti

Then before you know it you’re wearing trousers that go nearly up to your chest.

Cardigans beckon.

zerocool

I wear trainer socks causally with shorts, to minimise tan lines and not look stupid, but when riding I wear regular sports socks which come up to mid-calfish as trainer socks seem to let dirt and gravel in, and it’s a few inches less skin that needs ingrained dirt scrubbed out and offers a tiny bit of protection.

zilog6128

Am I the only one who thinks mid calf socks look a bit geeky?

you are not. There are plenty of other clueless old fogeys around 😉

slowoldman

They only caught on due to aero gains didn’t they?

FOG

It’s clearly a generational thing. The youngest member of our ad hoc cycling group always wears calf high socks while the rest wear shorter, just over the ankle bone type.

He’s 65 , we are 75. Like I say, generational.

LAT

I read something on the internet that said gen-z’s can identity middle aged millennials by them wearing ankle socks.

I mentioned this to my wife and she checked with her fashion-savvy colleague. Apparently ankle socks are still ok. When I asked how old her fashion advisor was, it turned out that she’s a middle aged millennial.

are you experiencing range anxiety? The answer there is to ignore aero and weight and just pack in more batteries.

The question I have is how on earth do you stop mid calf socks slipping down? They soon end up near the ankle.

buy good quality socks. Reasonable ones start at around £20.

I assumed that op’s massive gastrocnemius were the issue.

because it’s fashionable. Until it isn’t

Am I the only one who thinks mid calf socks look a bit geeky?

failed at engineering, failed at fashion. What is the 3rd path on which you find yourself travelling?

the only mid calf socks I have that stay up are fairly pricy ones from defeet, pongo and the like. They’re nice socks though so I don’t mind having spent a bit on them.

you get what you pay for.

Jesus* sandals.  Then the length of your socks really wont be the talking point.

Jesus, well Birkenstock (my personal messiah) sandals and mid-calf socks are what mainstreamed this sartorial insurgence.

Or keep them clean at least.

/preying hands emoji

I wear trainer socks causally with shorts, to minimise tan lines and not look stupid

username checks out

He’s 65 , we are 75. Like I say, generational.

I imagine that spending time in the company of old folk inspires him to stay contemporary.

kayak23

I’m glad that some blokes wear long socks pulled up as it’s an easy way of identifying and avoiding serial killers.

matt_outandabout

You’ve done it now. I await a new Kickstarter for eBike specific just below mid-calf socks…

fossy

Mid calf socks look stupid. I’m more ‘bottom of calf’ person, and then I think they are a bit long.

DickBarton

Just above my ankle bone…I don’t understand mid-length socks – look ridiculous. Unless they are compression socks…but even those aren’t likely to be mid-calf.

I do have slightly longer socks that go about 3 inches above my ankle bone, but any longer and they don’t get pulled up!

I’ve a similar bemusement of trousers that seem to stop way above the ankle (not 3/4 length shorts)…get trousers that properly cover your legs…some people (very much including me) are just a bit weird!

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve a similar bemusement of trousers that seem to stop way above the ankle (not 3/4 length shorts)…get trousers that properly cover your legs…some people (very much including me) are just a bit weird!

I work in the fashion industry, and as a middle aged bloke often finds myself thinking that I am the only voice of sanity in the place.  All of my colleagues have some very strange ideas. I’m the bookkeeper, rather than a designer though, so what do I know? (Actually, although it turns out that I might not know what is fashionable, I do appear to know what will sell to middle aged blokes. Unfortunately that’s not what the rest of them want to make…)

zilog6128

Just above my ankle bone…I don’t understand mid-length socks – look ridiculous.

don’t even get me started on these kids with their mop-top hair and bell bottom jeans!! <shakes fist at sky>

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.