Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • So … you drive a Bentley convertible
  • maccruiskeen

As has been said, different priorities. The Bentley owner may not be fussed about expensive boutique clothes but likes nice motors. Or maybe a relative or friend asked them to pick something up for them in TK Maxx, or maybe they just enjoy the “you don’t know what you’ll find” vibe of the store.

Maybe they are doing the rounds collecting their protection money 🙂

A lot depends on how and when you got the money that allows you to drive fancy cars. People who have gotten rich very quickly can buy nice things but don’t necessarily feel they have the tastes or even the permission to go to posh places. I used to bump into a bloke in glasgow quite often when I was getting my lunch – Ferrari parked outside, Vertu phone in hand – ordering a roll and square. Because he didn’t want or like anything else or like going to any other kind of place.

My uncle won a fair few millions on the lottery a while back too. But as a retired east end stevedore a lot of the fancy things he could have have done with the money kind of frightened him. He didn’t know anything about nice things, places, holidays etc and it was sort of too late for him to learn.

bikebouy
    Free Member

How can that reg plate be legal?

BIG EGO isn’t legal…

ebennett

My sense of humour generally involves taking the mick out of backfiring hypochondriacs and beta-male white knights, how does that work for you?

I have no idea what either of those are – do hypochondriacs have engines now?

footflaps

>suggesting some level of success at something

That’s certainly one definition of success.

Personally, I think shopping at TK-Max shows more sense than driving a Bentley.

molgrips
    Free Member

It might be a rental.  Bloke a few doors up lives in a 3 bed semi, drives a range rover sport and occasionally hires a Bentley or something else ridiculous.  Or maybe they are gift rentals bought for him.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m guessing there’s a 1 and 0 on there.

maccruiskeen

BIG EGO isn’t legal

B16 EGO is though

peekay

Has anybody ever seen B16 xxx on anything other than a pick up truck,  Range Rover or Bentley? Similarly BO55 xxx.

I think I’d be worried about visiting TK MAX.  I mean, what does one wear?

ads678
    sbob
    Free Member

Has anybody ever seen B16 xxx on anything other than a pick up truck, Range Rover or Bentley?

Image result for b16ego

perchypanther
    Free Member

B16 HTR

Got to be someone on here surely?

Nico
    Free Member

My local Bentley dealership opposite where I work has morphed into a Skoda dealership.

Badge engineering innit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

B16 HTR

Got to be someone on here surely?”

whats cynic-al driving these days ?

anyway shopping in TK maxx with any expectation s like trying to buy something on planet x website you actually wanted or something in stock at chain reaction at the advertised price ….

martinhutch

Disappointed it wasn’t FarmFoods with a side order of PoundWorld Extra.

binners

It could be the bloke who owns TK Maxx popping in to say hello to his staff, and thought the helicopter might appear a tad flashy

unovolo
    Free Member

Seeing as you can pick up a early Bentley Continental for about 23K and a convertible for a bit more its not that much of a stretch seeing as plenty on here talk about buying new SUVs and 4X4’s for probably more outlay.

Mate of mine at last count owns a Audi Q7, Rangerover, Ferrari 308, a Aston martin(with a smashed up front end), several Mustangs of various ages, Spltscreen Camper Van, Delorean and a Audi A4 convertible, also owns his business and lives in a old farmhouse so he’s worth a few quid……

Shops in Asda and dresses in jeans and trainers on a daily basis so a trip to TK Maxx would probably be a extravagance.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

<h1 class=”post-title”>So … you drive a Bentley convertible</h1>

… and whilst you’re doing it, you’re listening to the best in-car hifi system on the planet. ..😃

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We own live in Greenhill, southern side of Sheffield. It’s a nice area, but not millionaires row. (That’s Whirlow….)

It’s mainly 3-5 bed semis and a few detached places like ours. But there’s some seriously flashy cars on some drives. I know of a couple of Bentleys and one Porsche. I reckon people like living here’s and see no reason to move, so when they’ve extended the house as far as it’ll go and paid off the mortgage, they go flashy car shopping. There’s no particularly posh places to go shopping in them and I’d bet they end up outside Lidl now and then. Because everyone sh shops Aldi and Lidl these days, don’t the they? Just because you have a nice car  doesn’t mean you can’t park outside TK Maxx does it?

rene59
    Free Member

Second hand Bentleys cn be pretty inexpensive.

jkomo

I shop in TK Maxx and hate it and myself every time I do.

If I could afford a Bentley i would also never ever go there.

Im going to say if I saw a Bentley outside TK Maxx i would find it amusing, I don’t really care if anyone is irritated by this.

I’m with CG, and if she finds it amusing, it’s up to Her.

CountZero

Wherever’s selling whatever it I want to buy, same as always.

aracer
    Free Member

Mister P wrote:

People shop in TK Maxx?  It’s a hell hole of a place.

In the sense that any high street shop selling clothes is a hell hole? I’m not seeing an obvious significant difference in the shopping experience between TK Maxx and say M&S or Next (just to mention 3 of the handful of shops I visited when I last shopped for clothes in the Jan sales).

sbob
    Free Member

TK Maxx sell Pringle pants on the cheap.

They are the best pants I’ve ever experienced; plenty of room for your tackle but with support. Give ’em a go.

Drac

Do they have a modest house though?

batfink
    Free Member

I’m with CG – the juxtaposition is amusing.

For me, TKmaxx represents very good value for money – I’ve picked up things by Crumpler, Loake, Burton (skiwear), Ted baker for significantly less than half price.  It’s good for the odd bit of high-quality kitchenwear too.  I can’t understand anyone that doesn’t but their luggage from there – tend to be well stocked with antler and Samsonite – even seen some Victorinox cases there on occasion.

Whereas Bentley represents the opposite of that – it’s a tarted-up VW (I think the Continental is based on what used to be the phaeton?).

Nothing against people who drive Bentleys – but they are the opposite value proposition to TKMaxx.

kerley
    Free Member

Rich people who are rich because they are careful with their money do not buy new Bentley convertibles.  It is too much money to tie up in a car and the depreciation is just pissing your money away.

People who buy Bentley convertibles are rich and frivolous (i.e some footballers).

If I deemed an expensive car to be a good use of my money I would still drive it to Lidl, go to the tip and all the other places I go to.  What am I supposed to do waste more money by paying someone to go to the shop for me?

rocketman
    Free Member

One of the girls at work has a Bentley convertible with a 3-digit personal plate. She’s just a normal person who likes nice cars and chooses to spend her money on nice cars.

It’s a lovely car and I see it most days while commuting but it does look rather incongruous in the rush hour traffic

Jakester
    Free Member

There’s a Range Rover lives on the next street over from mine, with the registration PU51 LOV… And yes it’s white, tinted windows, drug dealer spec wheels etc…

Driven by a middle aged housewife who picks her kids up on the school run in it, in suburban Worcester! I kid you not…

I genuinely don’t get why that is odd? What is the number plate supposed to “spell”?

kerley
    Free Member

I would guess “Pussy Love” so she either likes cats or is a lesbian or maybe both.  All fine with me.

jimjam
    Free Member

A bargain at £33,950   ….just the thing for convincing people you’re too posh for TK Maxx.

..coupes are going for about £20,000. A lot of car for the money.

mintimperial

A couple of my older relatives, not actual Bentley owners but certainly with enough resources to spring for one if they wanted one, shop at TK Maxx for fun. They like buying last year’s unnecessary fancy stuff at a massive knock down, makes them feel like they’ve got one over on the world, even though they can afford to pay full whack better than most. It’s like a hobby for them.

Aren’t Bentleys just Audis in shoulderpads nowadays anyway? It’s not like seeing a Rolls Royce parked up there or something.

yunki
    Free Member

I don’t think we should be chastising CG for being judgemental.

I would have applauded you if you’d taken a dump on the back seat while they were in getting tacky ornaments and ill-fitting clothes.

Cars like that are obscene.

jimjam
    Free Member

yunki

Cars like that are obscene.

Cars like what? Without knowing the year and model it might be a second hand car worth £30k, might be a rental, might be someone’s pride and joy even though they have a modest house? They might be financed up to the eyeballs. Why do you care?

If you were in charge what’s the maximum you would allow people to spend on a car?

I would have applauded you if you’d taken a dump on the back seat while they were in getting tacky ornaments and ill-fitting clothes.

Would you generally applaud someone for defecating on another person’s property just so long as you perceive it to be an indulgence?

yunki
    Free Member

yup

if that offends you it only pleases me more

However I’m not the type to get upset by obscene displays of wealth. I know a fella round the corner from me who has a testarossa as the result of a medium sized lottery win.

I’d laugh if someone poo’ed on his back seat and I quite like the fella.

I spect he’d laugh too if I’m honest.

Now stop asking me stupid questions

cinnamon_girl

I AM NOT BEING JUDGEMENTAL.  HOW IS FINDING IT AMUSING MAKING A JUDGEMENT?  WHAT ACTUALLY IS MY JUDGEMENT???

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

In a similar vein it annoys me when I see a really expensive car carrying a shit bike.

Or an ex expensive car carrying a reasonable bike?

28K for this pair..

jimjam
    Free Member

yunki

yup

if that offends you it only pleases me more

However I’m not the type to get upset by obscene displays of wealth.

You don’t get upset by obscene displays of wealth, but you comment that “cars like that are obscene” and they should be shit upon. That seems consistent.

Now stop asking me stupid questions

There’s nothing stupid about the question I asked, you referred to a certain type of car as obscene without knowing the value of the car. In reply I asked what would be the maximum you would allow people to spend on a car, since you clearly think expensive cars are wrong.  Are you afraid to answer since it’ll expose the complete lack of thought or clarity in your earlier post?

kerley
    Free Member

I’d laugh if someone poo’ed on his back seat

And you would presumably laugh if someone poo’d on your back seat.  Takes all sorts I suppose.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m very sorry but why should I feel obligated to enter into your drama at your demand?

Why would I possibly be afraid of exposing a lack of consistent thought or clarity on a mildly entertaining anonymous cycling forum?

What the hell even makes you think that a life of well thought through and defensible moral standpoints is a way of life that I subscribe to or even respect?

I can actually very easily find something obscene while not being upset by it. I don’t really feel the need to circumscribe the way that I engage with reality into restrictive compartments.

if stimulus = posh car then response =  moral outrage?

I’m not a collection of flippin’ algorithms! Sometimes I see a posh car and feel like an excited child.

However, if I heard that CG had poo’ed on the backseat of a Bentley convertible I imagine that I would quite possibly LOL with pride

Are you quite sure that you’ve thought your own post through?

And you would presumably laugh if someone poo’d on your back seat.  Takes all sorts I suppose.

I suspect I would be more bemused than amused cos I drive a panel van

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘So … you drive a Bentley convertible’ is closed to new replies.