Home Forums Bike Forum So, I did an E-Bike Conversion.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • So, I did an E-Bike Conversion.
  • namastebuzz
    Free Member

I’d never been a fan of E-MTBs. I could see the attraction and the benefits but it wasn’t for me. I like to pedal. I like to suffer. I like to work to enjoy the descents.

Anyway, I rebuilt the wheels on a Specialized Turbo Levo for someone. I took it for a ride round my local trails and I did like having a motor! I wasn’t too impressed with the rest of the bike – not for £7k anyway. Too heavy, too expensive, too ugly and not great to ride.

I did start looking at the idea of converting one of my own bikes but didn’t want to “spoil” any if them so I picked up a nice On One Codeine 29er with some tasty upgrades for £500. Then I got a good deal on AliExpress for a Tongsheng TSDZ2 750w kit for £185. It came from Germany in a week. The Tongsheng is torque sensing so you have to pedal and it multiplies your effort. Unlike the Bafang systems where you can “ghost” pedal as they are cadence sensing. People describe the TSDZ2 as making you feel like you’ve got “bionic legs”.

Having got the bike and all the kit I then did my usual – nothing. I decided to get to know the On One first. It had all the stuff I’d poo-pood for years. 29″ wheels, tubeless tyres, modern geometry, uppy-downy seatpost, single chainring and so on. Turns out, I loved it!

I loved it so much I rode it for a year before I decided to “ruin” it by doing the conversion. The motor went straight in fine – once I’d ground off one of the chain device lugs. It has a 42T chainring so decided to go for an 11-52T cassette to keep a similar low gear ratio to the original.

For batteries I didn’t want a massive frame mounted job as it looks crap and is hard to mount on the On One frame. I decided to use LiPos as I already had a ton of them for RC cars. They’re smaller and more powerful than Li-Ion batteries but are tricky to handle, use and charge. I wouldn’t recommend them for everyone but if you’ve got the know-how it’s doable. I went with two 6S 6000MAh batteries in series to give 12S 50.2V and 6Ah. You should really use 13S TBH but all my RC cars run on 6S so I had tons of 3S and 6S LiPos.

The beauty of the LiPos is that they fit easily in a saddle pack. I had to extend the motor wire and fit an XT90 connector but a bit of soldering and it was all good.

An hour and a half was enough to do it all fairly deliberately. Running the cables and fitting the speed sensor was the most annoying but worth trying and re-trying to get it right. I wasn’t able to fit my new cassette as the DT Swiss hub had a SRAM freehub (who knew?) so I’m waiting on the Shimano one arriving. The gear range is therefore a bit limited currently.

So, off for the first test at Tarland MTB trails. It’s a straight drag up the hill then down either the blue, orange or red and repeat. I normally do about 15 circuits or so.

It was great! Did 20+ circuits without breaking sweat. The bike felt a little heavier but handled fine. Ground clearance is a bit less but that’s contributed to by lack of rider skills too. I’d fitted the optional thumb throttle so sometimes I just climbed without pedalling, other times I climbed in what is, effectively, a big ring and whizzed up the hill.

Range? No idea yet. The battery meter still said about 3\4 full but LiPos tend to hold their voltage well then “fall off a cliff” and they’re permanently damaged if their voltage drops too low. RC cars have a low voltage cutoff (LVC) to prevent this but I fitted LiPo alarms which bleep if the battery reaches a preset limit. The batteries were still showing 3.9v per cell so plenty of life left. I do have another set I can carry in a backpack and changeover if needed so we’ll see how it goes.

I’d say I’ve spent about £750 to get to this point. Or £850 if you account for the two 6S LiPos. I like the bike because it’s fun, not too heavy and looks “normal”. I’ll still ride my regular bikes for fitness and out with others but I’m glad I built this too.

sharkattack

It had all the stuff I’d poo-pood for years. 29″ wheels, tubeless tyres, modern geometry, uppy-downy seatpost, single chainring and so on. Turns out, I loved it!

Firstly, what kind of mad man are you? Turning your nose up at all the best new innovations in years then being surprised to find out they work?

But yeah, all the other stuff. Kits look alright and I’d love to fit one to a DH bike and do laps all day. I haven’t fully researched what I’d need yet.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Firstly, what kind of mad man are you? Turning your nose up all the best new innovations in years then being surprised to find out they work?

That kind of mad man! TBH I was happy with the three 26″ wheeled bikes I had – 2009 Iron Horse 6.6, LaPierre Zesty and Orange Evo4 – and even happier to keep my head buried firmly in the sand. 😆

I still prefer the IH 🤔

mrdestructo

Looked at both the models. They’re pretty cheap before getting a battery bought. Both square taper axles for roadie/commuter bikes?

How do you replace a worn axle/bearings/BB?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

You can get replacement bearings on AliExpress. You can also upgrade the nylon drive gear with a brass one.

TBH I’m not gonna be doing thousands of miles on it so it won’t be an issue the way I’m planning on using it.

You can upgrade the cranks with any Shimano Steps compatible square taper ones. FC-E5000, FC-E6000\6010 etc.

jaminb
    Free Member

I had the idea of putting the batteries in a back pack the other day. Is it a production thing or is just you and me who are ahead of the curve? How much do they weigh ?

bike looks better for it and must handle more like a proper bike with a full camelbak.

Stainypants

I think it looks great and proper bargain too. Never been a great fan on e-bikes but I can see me going down that way when I’m a bit older. I like the idea you could put these on a mtb and a gravel bike and just swap the battery pack across, saving a chunk of cash.

oldnick

Please reposition or trim the tie-wrap on the left chainstay, they can unzip your leg with a short tang sticking out.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I had the idea of putting the batteries in a back pack the other day. Is it a production thing or is just you and me who are ahead of the curve? How much do they weigh ?

1.9kg for the pair. Not light but not too heavy either. I’ve seen other people use batteries in a back pack. Downside is there’s a wire connecting you to the bike. Upside is the mass is moveable with you and not static on the bike.

You can get pretty much any size, weight and shape of E-Bike battery you want so back packs are a good option. You’ll save weight by not having to stuff your pack full of cakes seeing as you’re not burning off so much energy.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Please reposition or trim the tie-wrap on the left chainstay, they can unzip your leg with a short tang sticking out

Good spot mate. That pic was when I was mocking up the bike and wanted to show the motor. The zip ties were for the speed sensor which wasn’t in its final position. All sorted now. 👍

saynotoslomo
    Free Member

Cool write up, cheers for that!
    Is that £850 all in including the bike? I’ve been idly thinking about an ebike conversion recently but that’s way cheaper than I ever expected – benefits of somewhere like aliexpress I guess?

Is the top speed still limited to 15mph like an off the shelf UK offering?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Yeah that’s all in. If I was doing it from scratch I’d build a 52V 7Ah battery using 18650 cells. That would fit in a saddle pack too. There’s a commercial one available called a Mighty Mini Cube or there are guys who build batteries by spot welding but nowadays you can also buy kits to build them yourself with no welding\soldering required.

You can go into the menu on the display and set the speed limit up to 45kmh or you can turn it off altogether.

The only thing to watch out for is whether the motor housing will foul on the chainstays or not. Most hardtails are OK but a quite a few full sussers seem to have chainstays that flare out a bit quicker rendering them unsuitable.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I’ve got a little knowledge of lipos from rc aircraft. Is there not a danger from crashing with them in your backpack resulting in a pretty fierce fire?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Is there not a danger from crashing with them in your backpack resulting in a pretty fierce fire?

Indeed there is! A fire that you CAN’T PUT OUT too!

I’ve damaged a few LiPos jumping RC cars. They don’t tend to burst into flames then. The issues happen when you try and charge an already damaged battery.

LiPo safety is a big issue. You can burn your house down if you get it wrong. I’m not advocating that people go out and buy LiPos to power their E-Bikes but I was just using what I already had lying around plus I’ve got the (hard earned) knowledge base to go with it.

There are Li-Ion alternatives that do a similar job.

nixie

That does look quite neat for a conversion however it’s a motor bike not an e-bike because;

I’d fitted the optional thumb throttle

namastebuzz
    Free Member

it’s a motor bike not an e-bike

Technically that’s correct. It also has a 750w motor rather than the prescribed 250w plus it’s not limited to 15.5mph either. 😁

zippykona

OP.Could you do a link to a make your own battery kit please.

robowns
    Free Member

Looks good that mate, nice and neat. Not a fan of the tablet on the bars but serves a purpose!

zippykona

Is it noisy?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

OP.Could you do a link to a make your own battery kit please

Here

I’d get LiitoKala 18650s of AliExpress. Cost you about £55-60 for 28.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Not a fan of the tablet

Me neither but that display allows you to have a throttle and connect it to ST Pro to hack the firmware.

There are 5 or 6 displays you can use including this minimalist one.

display

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Is it noisy?

No. Just a quiet whirring.

Certainly quieter than my laboured wheezing when I’m climbing – which I’ve been told is reminiscent of a dying horse.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

If someone wanted to do a really stealthy conversion Specialized did the Carbon Framed Stumpjumper (plus some others) from 2016 on with a SWAT door. I’ve seen people make up linked sets of 18650 batteries and stick them in the frame. Pretty neat!

door

singlespeedstu

I like to pedal. I like to suffer.

Then fits 750 unrestricted motor with thumb throttle to a bike. 🤣

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Then fits 750 unrestricted motor with thumb throttle to a bike.

Ha ha! Yeah, you got me there.

I still like to suffer on the other bikes though.

I’ll probably take off the throttle and fit a smaller display at some point.

thepodge
    Free Member

namastebuzz
    If someone wanted to do a really stealthy conversion Specialized did the Carbon Framed Stumpjumper (plus some others) from 2016 on with a SWAT door. I’ve seen people make up linked sets of 18650 batteries and stick them in the frame. Pretty neat!

Can’t help thinking the massive motor and cranks / chainring from the 90s might still give the game away.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Can’t help thinking the massive motor and cranks / chainring from the 90s might still give the game away.

True but you could fit the Lekkie Bling Ring and Buzz Bar Cranks.

lekkie

firestarter
    Free Member

My mate at work did a front wheel conversion to a 20 quid gumtree bike, cist him a few hundred quid all in, it does about 30 mph I had a quick blast it was like a quiet motorbike lol crapped myself as the rim brakes are crap for that speed

richmtb

Funnily enough I’ve got an On One Codeine frame gathering dust in the garage.

Conversion looks really good. I’d be worried about the position of the motor though. The Codeine already has a pretty low BB, that motor housing looks like it would be getting regularly smashed off rocks if it got used on proper trails.

johnny

For anyone thinking about longevity- I have one of these 750 TSDZ02 motors with a 48v hailong battery, (downtube mount) and no thumb throttle. (the devil’s work- and heavily reduces range) Adaptors for thick/thin chainrings are available on ebay/aliexpress, and I’ve used it for my rolling commute of 25 miles since September 2020. I went for the bigger motor as I often carry panniers/laptop/clothes. I’ve clocked up over 5000 km on it with no internal bearing/ blue nylon drive replacement. This has all been commuting on back lanes though, so steady cadence, not cranking hard off road!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I’d be worried about the position of the motor though.

Well the Codeine down tube climbs more sharply from the BB than a lot of other full sussers I looked at so it’s more advantageous than most. It is a bit lower than the original chainring but not by a lot. I just took it on a rocky trail last night and didn’t ground it out. Ultimately the worst I can see happening would be you cracked the housing.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

For anyone thinking about longevity-

Good info. Thanks. I’ve already realised that I don’t need the throttle. All the build threads I’d read said – you don’t need the throttle but I had to find out for myself.

Interestingly, that Turbo Levo I fixed – the motor failed shortly after. It took them 6 weeks (Evans) to replace it under warranty. The owner pressed them for the actual repair cost if it wasn’t warrantied but they couldn’t answer him.

I have another friend who’s had two Brose motors fail on his Specialized – both replaced under warranty.

granny_ring

Looks good OP.
    Have you got links for the kit used please, will probably use a down tube battery.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Have you got links for the kit used please, will probably use a down tube battery

PSWPower

They also have an eBay store and Alixpress store. I had vouchers and discount codes for AliExpress so I got it from there. They seem to have a good rep for customer service. They certainly answered me quickly and were helpful but I didn’t have any issues or problems so can’t comment on how they handle that side.

They ship from Europe – Germany, Czech Rep. or Poland so stuff comes pretty quick.

TiRed

Thanks for that, very helpful. I was thinking of assisting my recumbent trike and the TS was top of the list. Bottle mount battery on the boom. No throttle. My cruising speed is 15-17 mph, but it is a bugger up the hills and relatively slow to get up to speed.

singlespeedstu

Interestingly, that Turbo Levo I fixed – the motor failed shortly after. It took them 6 weeks (Evans) to replace it under warranty.

On the other hand I snapped the input shaft on a Kenevo motor on a Thursday.
    Stripped it out and posted it off on the Friday and received a new motor back and fitted it on the Tuesday.

Race Co Cycles brilliant warranty service.
    It would have been even quicker if I didn’t now live 250 miles away.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Race Co Cycles brilliant warranty service

I like hearing stories like that! 👍

I guess with a £200 Chinese motor you’re on your own though. PSWPower do have a load of spares for it on their site, which is encouraging.

granny_ring

Cheers for link OP.

Had a quick look, a bit overwelming with so many kits around!

Clover

Throttles and over 250kW motors are not legal on roads or bridleways.

You have to be assisted in pedalling to be classed as an electrically assisted bicycle and therefore legally able to use the roads and paths bikes can used.

E-bikes are fantastic and great for getting more people riding. I am concerned that people will get confused by the illegal more powerful and throttle bikes around and there will be a backlash which puts more restrictions on cycling.

kayla1
    Free Member

Throttles and over 250kW motors are not legal on roads or bridleways.

Oh, that’s ok, I only ride mine on the pavement and footpaths.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘So, I did an E-Bike Conversion.’ is closed to new replies.