• This topic has 255 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 259 total)
  • So, Harry & Meghan…. What do we think?
  • gonefishin
    Free Member

“We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen.”

It’s not like he’s going to struggle to get a job

Whilst I generally wish them well, I can see Megan being financially independent not so sure about Harry if is no longer a “royal”.

martinhutch

I can see Megan being financially independent not so sure about Harry if is no longer a “royal”

Corporates will be lining up to pay him to turn up at stuff.

athgray
    Free Member

Good luck to them. Harry is about the only one I have any time for. Get out of that dysfunctional family asap if it were me.

I am not a big fan of the royals, and I can see why they would want to split time between here and the US if it gives them greater access to Megan’s family, however for Harry to not tell his own family privately before releasing a statement to the press he loathes is bad form in my opinion.

We can sit aloof and easily say he is best shot of them, but they are his family. He has had some close and very personal times with them and there will be an effect. I think he owes it to them to tell them first before we hear about it.

kerley
    Free Member

I would have advised them to do it. Just because you are born into the Royal family doesn’t mean you have to be stuck with the ‘duties’ that goes with your seniority in the family.

I do feel the Royal Family is starting to come to an end though and it is way less important to most people than it was say 40 years ago (especially younger people). I even remember the street party in my road in 1977. Don’t think that would happen now.
    Harry and Meghan were probably what they actually needed as young people are not going to relate to Charles or William and Kate (is Kate allowed to talk?)

martinhutch

however for Harry to not tell his own family privately before releasing a statement to the press he loathes is bad form in my opinion.

Depends if telling your family something privately means that it will be on the front page of the Express within hours.

He chose to release the news in his own words, rather than leaked with a side serving of extra spin and reaction from a courtier or relative.

kilo

He can earn enough in the US to not need the civil list

yes I’m sure he’ll be earning his crust, proper hard work based on his abilities and talents. Spongers gonna sponge.

nonk
    Free Member

What do we think ?
    That sharkbaits a bit of a dick ?

trumpton
    Free Member

All the bet to them. I like Megan as she has a rescue dog. I like Harry too and wish them the best.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Poor dim Harry never stood a chance! He married a woman who dumped her old friends and her Father, so it didn’t take long for her to split Harry from his brother, the Queen and now the UK.

She returned from the SA trip in which she saw hardship and poverty close up, but all she could talk about was….poor meeeee!

It might take a while, but Harry will come to his senses eventually!

mrmoofo

A slimmed down Royal Family is on the cards …
    But I guess in terms of brand value, the firm would have like that to include the Hollywood couple.
    They have suffered racism – which is plain wrong ( but if you are ginger …). What is a little galling is that they have made some spectacularly patronising comments about how people should live their lives – and then blame the press. Perhaps , if the had taken the (good) advice that they had access to, then they would feel so”hurt”.
    Perhaps, in the long run, it is better that they become brand like the “Beckham” – he can promote nice shoes and whiskey, she can have a fashion line and cosmetics range , and the can make money.
    But I think their vision that this will mean they are left alone and no longer allowed to be criticised might be naive

mashr

He married a woman who dumped her old friends

Yup, should’ve flown them over and moved them into the cottage

to split Harry from his brother, the Queen

Not sure how stepping down from royal duties means he cant talk to these people but do continue….

and now the UK.

There it is! Peak Daily Mail

but Harry will come to his senses eventually!

and do what?

boomerlives
    Free Member

null

Love it!

I always thought she was too good for him. He would be better off with some vacuous toff rather than someone with their own mind.

She might be moving back to the US to start her ascent to the presidency. You heard it here first.

poly
    Free Member

I don’t do ‘news’, what are they doing?

They went to Canada for an extended holiday, can’t face returning to the tedium of their old jobs and the office politics and have decide to take up #vanlife

scotroutes

I’m as Republican as they come but can find anything to criticise here. You can’t choose the family you are born into and it’s not his fault he’ll need security guards. Liz and Charles are wealthy enough to pay for them.

martinhutch

Looking at Piers Morgan on twitter is normally the best way to make sure my reading of the story is correct. He’s having a right proper meltdown.

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

perchypanther
    Free Member

To be fair, if my Mum had been literally hounded to her death by members of the press and then, as a 12 year old kid at the lowest point of my life,  i’d been paraded through the streets in front of a million people whilst  2.5 billion people watched on TV,  I might also want  to protect my infant son from that sort of press exposure.

kimbers

Seems like the only people that care are daily mail readers

franksinatra

It will be interesting to see what he does if they get divorced, will he trot back to granny?

I think it is a fair position for them to take and they are lucky enough to be able to do that.

She returned from the SA trip in which she saw hardship and poverty close up, but all she could talk about was….poor meeeee!

I totally agree with this. They are very self pitying.

martinhutch

To be fair, if my Mum had been literally hounded to her death by members of the press and then, as a 12 year old kid at the lowest point of my life, i’d been paraded through the streets in front of a million people whilst 2.5 billion people watched on TV, I might also want to protect my infant son from that sort of press exposure.

Listen, Piers Morgan has covered this point. He lost his mum when he was young too*, but it didn’t make him upset the Queen!

*Presumably he has some other excuse for his transformation into a piece of toxic pond scum.

PrinceJohn

Fair play to them – the amount of abuse the woman he fell in love has had is ridiculous.

DezB
    Free Member

Whatever they do is not going to make the slightest impression on my life. Apart from the endless boring news stories and weird thread on my favourite forum, of course.
    Sort of thing that 10 year olds and women over 50 care about isn’t it?

piha
    Free Member

All the bet to them. I like Megan as she has a rescue dog.

I know little or have much time for the aforementioned couple but if the above comment regarding Megan having a rescue dog is true then I wish them all the very best.

oldnpastit

Looking at the comments on twitter, anyone with any sense would get out if they could.

Things like this make me certain we should become a republic.

franksinatra

I also love that fact that they want work towards being financially independent. A noble aim for two grown ups, one of whom has £27m through inheritance and a previously successful career in the army and the other who has earned £4m by being a very successful actress. There will be tough times ahead but I hope they can make it

#prayforharryandmeghansfinancialindependence

kilo

a previously successful career in the army

Iirc wasn’t it alleged that he dipped : was going to dip the entry criteria for Sandhurst, pulled strings for help with work whilst there and admitted that he was not the normal level of candidate for army helicopter pilot training being a bit thick?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

is this flounce just not an offshoot of the bad blood between Harry and William, as wills has been banging rose hanbury?

dazh

I made the mistake of following some twitter links this morning. It’s a bit of a soap opera by all accounts. Apparently it all stems from an alleged affair Prince William had with one of Kate’s friends. William told Harry, and Harry was less than supportive, hence the split between them. Kate doesn’t like Megan because she’s got a life other than being a baby factory, and the rest of the family are all obsessed with Prince Andrew’s perversions and keeping Prince Phillip out of his car before he kills someone.

Anyone want to remind me why we pay millions to keep this lot while they look down on us?

tinribz
    Free Member

I give it a couple of years or till the hair is totally gone, which ever is sooner, before Her Royal High Maintence loses all respect for him and moves on.

BillMC

The royal family is full of rescue dogs but they parade like French poodles and we pay and pay.

avdave2

I’ve just informed my boss that I’m resigning and that at some point in the future I will hopefully be able to contact him to tell him he no longer needs to pay my salary. I’ve also contacted the mortgage company to thank them very much for the house, it’s lovely now with all the extra I borrowed to do it up but regretfully I’ll no longer actually be making any payments on it  as I’ll only be spending half the year there.

mashr

a few royal engagements

How many exactly is “a few”?

lunge

I have a huge admiration for the move.
    Harry was always the black sheep of the family, you always felt he wanted to be “normal”, became a squaddie, tried to stay out of the public eye, but he never got that. He’s always been fiercely critical of the press and protective of his life.
    In an odd way, I not that surprised he’s doing it. They have more than enough money between them, it wouldn’t surprise me is they disappeared into the Canadian mountains and were rarely seen again.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

The Royal fmaily thing as a whole is an interesting one. As the world changes the Royal family seems to be increasingly anachronistic. It was interesting to me when I was younger (I too remember the street parties in 1977 – it wasn’t just Star Wars that happened that year!) but as I have grown older I have become more ambivalent to them. I admire and respect the way the Queen has carried herself and the way she has dedicated herself to what she felt is her responsibility as Queen. There is something about heritage and culture and history (and we have a LOT of it here int he UK) but I’m not sure there is a role or need for the Royal Family in their current guise. Maybe the best thing is to plan for a new model for when the Queen dies and that becomes the seminal moment that we make that change.

Klunk
    Free Member

How many exactly is “a few”?

the racists funeral
    brendas funeral
    bigears coronation
    bigears funeral
    baldies coronation….
    etc

Harry_the_Spider

Off you pop, but don’t forget to settle the bill before you leave.

dannyh
    Free Member

No royal family = no ‘need’ to waste time and energy talking about irrelevant crap like this.

Another compelling argument for abolishing this anachronism.

Who actually gives a shit anyway?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Just made a rare trip to the daily mail homepage to witness the full on meltdown…

Terrifying, yet hilarious in equal measure

kerley
    Free Member

Who actually gives a shit anyway?

Around 52% of the population probably

erictwinge
    Free Member

I give it a couple of years or till the hair is totally gone, which ever is sooner, before Her Royal High Maintence loses all respect for him and moves on.

nah, baldness is not in his genes…

johndoh
    Free Member

I think it’s a great move – they are doing what they want to do with their lives and I have nothing but respect for them.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 259 total)

The topic ‘So, Harry & Meghan…. What do we think?’ is closed to new replies.