Home Forums Bike Forum Snapped my fuel ex rear triangle… What to expect

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Snapped my fuel ex rear triangle… What to expect
  • M6TTF
    Free Member

Out yesterday morning and my wheel started rubbing on the frame. Thought it had come loose, but turns out the stay had snapped clean through, just infront of the rear brake mount weld. I remember this was a weak point on these frames as they revised the design on later models. It’s a 2008 and I’ve had it from new. Reading up, it seems the rear triangle is only warranted for 2 years. Anyone else been through this process? Are trek likely to have any rear triangles of this era? Guessing I’ll be paying for it? Or am I looking for a new ride

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Politely ask Trek, you never know.

muggomagic

Trek were very helpful with my warranty claim then mine was still valid. I guess you could reasonably expect them to try and source you a rear triangle at a reasonable price. I would think anything else is a bonus.

brant
    Free Member

Was that you on instagram?

banks
    Free Member

Trek replaced my second hand remedy frame with a brand new one – only took 2 weeks. The frame was outside of it’s warranty too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Best case? New Shiney bike
    Middle Case? New back end at cost
    Worst Case? Your off to buy a new bike.

If they have no 08 rear ends left then good luck. (most bike industry lifetime warranty is 5 years)

Rorschach
    Free Member

Trek replaced my second hand remedy frame with a brand new one – only took 2 weeks. The frame was outside of it’s warranty too

This is not typical.

Trimix
    Free Member

Use it as an excuse to buy a new bike.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Yes brant, it was mate. I’m not expecting them to bend over backwards, anything will be favourable. I’ve ridden it hard for 6 years, so I’ve had my money’s worth

maxtorque

Worst case, find local man with TIG welder!

crotchrocket
    Free Member

ask Trek via your local dealer.
    I snapped mine too – they replaced it, no problemo.

The mainframe has a lifetime warrentee.
    however, the rear triangle only has a 3yr warrantee, however mine was older than that when it snapped. I just needed to produce my receipt (which “pedal on” were happy to retrieve for me from their server – love those guys!).

All good 😉

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Ironically been to Pedal On with my mates cracked rear seatstay, at the weld on the brake mount as well, today ! His is a 2008 version. They ‘claimed’ to have not seen one crack before. Mate has the original receipt. He was stripping and checking before boxing it up, ready for our Spain trip on Saturday!. No pressure on Trek or Pedal On. I told him to weigh up the cost of a new bike, as he wont possibly get a new seatstay by Friday. We were told of the lifetime on the front triangle and 2 years on the rear bits. Not many full suss bikes in 15 inch around in sensible 26 inch wheels. If anyone finds a good deal then please say. He says he will ride it, but the crack is curling round the inner side of the seatstay currently and Spain isn’t exactly light on bikes.

trekcol
    Free Member

M6ttf
    Get your receipt out, pop it back into your place of purchase and ask them to log a claim

Your 2008 model had a lifetime cover on main and swing. Trek then went to a five year warranty on alloy Ex swings from 2010

Trek boys in the UK will give the store the options within 24 hours of receiving the claim

Cheers

bren2709

It’s a known fault!

Trek had an issue with the earlier manufactured rear triangles, snapping around that area. Only reason I know is mine done exactly the same and was replaced under warranty.
    If you compare them now you will notice that they have extended the mount and dropout to add strength in that area.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Go to a Trek dealer with your receipt. Ask politely. Say you have a lifetime warranty.
    When I worked in a Trek dealer (Last September) I warrantied a 12 year old Trek-built Klein which was replaced without fuss, and the owner was given a choice of a brand new Elite series frame set or a full £600 bike. He took the bike. All done in a week start to finish.
    (I have the head tube of the Klein in my garage. Trek didn’t want the frame back, they just wanted it destroyed)

gaberin
    Free Member

Trek replaced the rear chain stay on my ex9 2008 last summer..
    Didn’t even buy it new. But it did take ages.

PePPeR

Slightly off topic but my Gary Fisher Rig has cracked at the top of the seat stay, it was one of the original bikes and I loved it to bits, I bought a Chumba to replace it and although it’s good it ain’t my Rig.

Would Trek still warranty this frame?

mildred

Feel my pain…

Had my 1st ride on my brand new GT series 1 road bike today – just gave it a wipe down only to find the seat tube cracked just above & below the chainstay weld. I’m gutted – lovely riding bike with decent kit at a good price. This is the only road bike I’ve tried recently that actually fitted me well.

30 miles and busted 😥

M6TTF
    Free Member

Thanks for the update chaps. And thanks col!!!! Stripped it down and will take it in to the dealer tomorroe

trekcol
    Free Member

Pepper- if you are original owner with a receipt then take it back to the place of purchase. If you used the seat post supplied or one with 80mm of insertion as Trek Corp advises then there is a possibility of a claim approval.

The Trek UK team are fair and reasonable chaps!!!!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Well Trek have said they will warrant a 2008 rear seat stay , which is great. Saves him paying £200 for a new one 😯 .
    Sadly it is 10 days before it appears, which is a pain, as he wants to ride it in Spain on Saturday. Luckily we have a mate with an EX of about the same age ( 2008 or 2009) so we are pinning hope on stripping this down and using this for the holiday.
    Apparently the new ones are silver, which may look a bit odd, but its a freebee and we can always get it powdercoated white at some point.

bikeryder85
    Free Member

nill-disregard

TomB

Good news thrusty.

[applause for trek uk people! great service]

M6TTF
    Free Member

so bike is now back up and running. trek sent a new seat stay, plus updated rocker plates and bearing.

all gratis.

very grateful, excellent customer service!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Snapped my fuel ex rear triangle… What to expect’ is closed to new replies.