• This topic has 333 replies, 83 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Del.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 334 total)
  • Smoking is a pretty disgusting habit, but…
  • Pyro

Here’s a thought. The problem here isn’t smokers. The problem here is inconsiderate people who happen to smoke

Agreed. But the root of that problem – and the part that impacts other people – isn’t the inconsideration, it’s the smoking.

robdob
    Free Member

Binners – why do you assume everyone who doesn’t like the smoking only go to the pub on rare occasions? Weird logic.

Any why should someone who doesn’t smoke have to sit somewhere else (most probably inside as most beer gardens aren’t big enough to get away from the smoke coming from 2/3 people round here) MORE than you should smoke elsewhere?

johndoh
    Free Member

Do you use a car? Are you reliant upon a petro-chemical economy?
    In which case get off your horse, it’s waaaay too high

Whilst I can understand your sentiment and yes, vehicular use contributes to pollution, I don’t see that vehicle pollution effects health so directly as smoking does – either for the smokers themselves or the people around them.

binners

Yup, you’re literally a dying breed.

A bit of gratitude wouldn’t go amiss occasionally, you know

Jus’ sayin’

gobuchul
    Free Member

Whilst I can understand your sentiment and yes, vehicular use contributes to pollution, I don’t see that vehicle pollution effects health so directly as smoking does – either for the smokers themselves or the people around them.

You are simply wrong.

There is no significant risk to someone’s health if they are sharing an open space with a smoker.

it is just not possible to inhale sufficient smoke for it to be an issue.

imnotverygood

Binners – why do you assume everyone who doesn’t like the smoking only go to the pub on rare occasions? Weird logic.

Because smoking makes you happier, fun-loving and generally much more interesting than those whose don’t, besides which, it’s cool. Don’t you remember the advertising?

bearnecessities

it is just not possible to inhale sufficient smoke for it to be an issue.

Oh you’ve done it now.

binners

slowoldman

These people who think sharing a beer garden with a cigarette smoker is a risk to their health, do they wear breathing apparatus when in a city centre, bus station, train station or airport?

To be honest it’s not really the health hazard that agitates me. It’s the smell of the bloody things. I don’t want to be anywhere near it. Oh and yes the same applies to other public places. If I find myself strolling up to a smoker i make sure I take a deep breath and hold it until I’m well past.

doris5000

I don’t see that vehicle pollution effects health so directly as smoking does – either for the smokers themselves or the people around them.

Well, that’s awfully convenient, eh old chap? On the other hand, the Environment Audit Committee says

There are nearly as many deaths now caused by air pollution as there are from smoking,

and

traffic is responsible for 42% of carbon monoxide, 46% of nitrogen oxides and 26% of particulate matter pollution.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30349398

rogermoore

Why have upturned plant pots replaced ashtrays in beer gardens?
    RM.

Drac

There are nearly as many deaths now caused by air pollution as there are from smoking,

So 10s of millions of cars still doesn’t quite kill as many a few million smokers.

sbob
    Free Member

What an odd thing to say.

Not really.
    I know so many people who wouldn’t go to pubs “because of the smoke” (despite there being smoke free pubs pre-ban).

They still don’t go to pubs post ban.

Sometimes there is just so much overwhelming evidence one has to call BS.

Oh I see, it must have been post offices I’ve been in recently that have the beer pumps and bar and barman and tables and chairs in. My mistake.

You’re not going to convince anyone that you’re an avid pub-goer when you have already stated that you don’t care about pubs closing down.

Shame, as there is a lovely view of the river from my non-smoker’s terrace, and always ample space. 😉
    😆

brakes
    Free Member

sorry, did I miss the article about drive-thru beer gardens?

binners

Unlike people on here I’m not lumping in all non-smokers as a homogenous mass, who all behave the same. I’m talking about a certain type of preachy, whiney, sanctimonious type – the professional moaner – who thinks its appalling that the should have their enjoyment of the pub ruined by smokers, yet they never actually go to the pub anyway. probably because they’ve got no friends.

See also ‘I haven’t actually seen the programme in question myself, but it an outrage and should be banned’

And also

“We’re being swamped by all these immigrants” from people who live in rural Surrrey

gobuchul
    Free Member

To be honest it’s not really the health hazard that agitates me. It’s the smell of the bloody things.

I hate the smell of brown sauce. If I am staying at a hotel and someone at my table puts in on their plate it puts me off my food.

That’s the truth, I hate the stuff.

Should I start looking to ban it in public spaces?

BoardinBob

hels – Member

Can I add ugly fat hairy old people to the list of things that we can ban from pubs ? And dance music.

Can we ban people that call it dance music? Do you call all other genres “standing still music”?

brakes
    Free Member

Unlike people on here I’m not lumping in all non-smokers as a homogenous mass

hels
    Free Member

“drive-thru beer gardens” – quote of the day !

I hate having to pull over in the car to drink.

cdoc
    Free Member

So 10s of millions of cars still doesn’t quite kill as many a few million smokers.

Coz they’re outside, innit

hels
    Free Member

Sorry Boardin bob – I was not sure everyone would understand if I just referred to it as “crap pseudo house that hasn’t changed since 1987”, but diff’rnt strokes and all that !

nickc

where can I get me a fumatory lip wig, I want one of those bad boys…

😆

BoardinBob

Sorry Boardin bob – I was not sure everyone would understand if I just referred to it as “crap pseudo house that hasn’t changed since 1987”, but diff’rnt strokes and all that !

😉

binners

Come on then… fess up. Which of the ban it! Ban it now!! brigade hasn’t been to the pub since Colins birthday at the end of May, or christmas last year

Don’t be shy…. 😀

Drac

Does Saturday night count?

DaRC_L

tbh – although I rarely go to the pub as I’d have to drive (because the local one closed) and freeze my knackers off in winter talking to the smokers…

When you could smoke I quite liked the smell of a pub, now they smell of stale beer and sweaty people 😥

robdob
    Free Member

You’re not going to convince anyone that you’re an avid pub-goer when you have already stated that you don’t care about pubs closing down.

I don’t particularly care if they close down because I don’t base my life around drinking and going to pubs like some do.

binners

Then maybe you should leave the decisions on what goes on in beer gardens to us chain smoking alcoholics then?

😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Then maybe you should leave the decisions on what goes on in beer gardens to us chain smoking alcoholics then?

Given your decision to keep smoking, I’m not sure you could be trusted with anything important.

cdoc
    Free Member

Tbh, I don’t go to the pub because I find drunk people infinity more problematic than smokers..

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Come on then… fess up. Which of the ban it! Ban it now!! brigade hasn’t been to the pub since Colins birthday at the end of May, or christmas last year”

i was in three different pubs on friday night.

and ive just bought a pair of old beater bikes for me and the mrs so we can support the local in the village – 45 minute each way walk on the country roads is just a bit much in winter.

binners

Given your decision to keep smoking, I’m not sure you could be trusted with anything important.

Well it means I won’t be posting crap on here for too much longer.

As I’ve already said… a bit of gratitude wouldn’t go amiss

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I was on a terrace last weekend at the Bocabar with mrs deadly, dd and the dog. Naturally, I was tutting at the smokers.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Taken from channel 4 website purely to regurgitate:

Smoking has a huge cost to the NHS – an estimated £5.2bn – but boozed-up Britons put a massive dent in the overall economy because of the additional £11bn burden on the criminal justice system. All too often, drinking results in violence, either at home or out on the streets.

So sod the personal wars on smoking and direct your anger to everyone in the pub

Pyro

Come on then… fess up. Which of the ban it! Ban it now!! brigade hasn’t been to the pub since Colins birthday at the end of May, or christmas last year

3 nights a week, normally. Although two of those tend to be in a Student Union bar, so I’m hardly single-handedly supporting the local economy.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

always enjoy this debate. opinions are so vehemently black or white.

for me i dont really care, unless i get some obtusely odorous filthy fagash degenerate twathook sit next to me on the train or something, i tend to avoid places where the rats may gather… so im completely on the fence 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

21. The main cost of air pollution arises from the adverse health effects on people. The 2007 Air Quality Strategy estimates that the health impact of man-made particulate air pollution experienced in the UK in 2005 cost between £8.5 billion and £20.2 billion a year.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmselect/cmenvaud/229/22906.htm

Plenty to be outraged about – but let’s concentrate on outdoors smoking…the public cost of which is still to be demonstrated (beyond annoyance).

ransos
    Free Member

Plenty to be outraged about – but let’s concentrate on outdoors smokers…the cost of which to the public is still to be demonstrated.

And there are children starving in Africa.

amedias
    Free Member

Do you use a car? Are you reliant upon a petro-chemical economy?

Sadly yes, I own a car, but I try to use it as little as possible and not round town, I also try and shop local where possible, although I can’t single handedly change the economy or pollution levels I do the considerate thing and try and limit my impact, which amounts to the same thing as asking people not to smoke around other people, just asking you to be nice and considerate, but when that doesn’t work regulation comes in, pollution/emissions restrictions because people wont/can’t stop driving, regulated areas if people wont stop smoking around others, it’s the same thing although on massively different scales, regulation steps in when it can’t be self-policed.

Binners is right though in one respect, it’s not smokers in general that are an issue, it’s inconsiderate smokers. But banning inconsiderateness is a bit more tricky. and taking his ‘who forced you to sit with the smokers’ situation, it’s the other way around, inconsiderate smokers forcing others to inhale their smoke.

If this could be dealt with easily in beer gardens by a friendly “would you mind putting that out or moving elsewhere, we’d quite like to enjoy our beer and meal without those toxic fumes” chat it would be great, but that’s more likely to get you a mouthful of abuse or a f-off than anything else. If that worked then there’d be no need to try and regulate to protect people.

In which case get off your horse, it’s waaaay too high

I like it up here, the air’s clearer 😉 and my horse isn’t particularly polluting so I say Naaaaay!

binners

We’re definitely going to be tax positive. We pay shedloads of it on our 20 Bensons a day, we tend to go quickly after a short, horrific illness, and save a fortune in pensions and Werthers Originals.

Like I said… a bit of gratitude wouldn’t go amiss

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 334 total)

The topic ‘Smoking is a pretty disgusting habit, but…’ is closed to new replies.