• This topic has 333 replies, 83 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Del.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 334 total)
  • Smoking is a pretty disgusting habit, but…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

I think it’s time to leave them alone now. They pay enough in tax Ffs.

a ban too far..?

MoreCashThanDash

Open air eating areas and school entrances, ban them.

Not fussed about the rest though.

Harry_the_Spider

I’m not a smoker but banning it in beer gardens is excessive. Is the next step to ban the beer in the beer gardens also?

Crisps are bad for you as well. Ban them while you are at it.

robdob
    Free Member

Hope they do ban it everywhere round pubs. I used to smoke but can’t stand the smell now, while I am eating it is especially nasty thing. I know quite a few people who don’t go to pubs nowadays in the summer as you can’t sit outside without having cigarette smoke around you all the time, drinking or eating. At least when you could smoke inside the filthy smokers used to skulk around at the bar instead.

Drac

About time I say.

Crisps are bad for you as well. Ban them while you are at it.

No one ever died from passive crisp eating and they don’t stink the place out when your trying to enjoy a meal or pint.

creamegg
    Free Member

I’d prefer beer gardens to be non-smoking so gets my vote

robdob
    Free Member

Oh and the tax issue – I’d rather pay more tax to make up for the loss of money from cigarette duty if it meant I didn’t ever see another person die from slowly asphyxiating to death from emphysema like my lovely grandma in law did after running pubs all her life.

kimbers

pub near us hasa a small beer garden theyve squeezed a bouncy castle and a slide in, so naturally its full of kids bouncing through clouds of fag smoke!

bikebouy
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash – Member
    Open air eating areas and school entrances, ban them.

Not fussed about the rest though.

this +1

TheBrick
    Free Member

Does seem a bit rough. I agree with the school ban and eating areas but an amount of live and let live is needed, but also people smoking need to be awear which way teh wind is blowing and where others are e.t.c.

zilog6128

I’m not a smoker but banning it in beer gardens is excessive. Is the next step to ban the beer in the beer gardens also?

Makes perfect sense to me, since most of your sense of taste actually comes from what you can smell. Of course, if you’re a lager drinker, this wouldn’t have occurred to you. 🙂

This goes doubly for anywhere that serves food too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if the place serves food – smoking ban.

**** in considerate **** getting blown ash in my food is the one thing i cannot stand.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d prefer beer gardens to be non-smoking so gets my vote

This. The only downside of the smoking ban is that any wee terrace type space outside a nice bar is minging.

robdob
    Free Member

Simon Clark, director of the smokers’ group Forest, said he welcomed ideas that encouraged people to use electronic cigarettes but they should not rely on “coercion and prohibition”.
    He told the BBC: “Banning smoking outside pubs and bars will discriminate against adults who quite legitimately prefer to smoke.
    “It won’t stop people smoking, it will simply deter more people from going to the pub and that could lead to even more pub closures.”

Err except the recent bans have reduced smoking loads, so why will this not help even more? Barmy.

And the pub closure argument – who cares if more close anyway? Anyway that argument is extremely weak, akin to saying that making people wear seat belts in cars will stop people buying cars. What a moron.

Drac

Did you give that any thought before you hit ‘Send Post’?

trail_rat
    Free Member

” The only downside of the smoking ban is that any wee terrace type space outside a nice bar is minging.”

Although – this is a little more preferable than the WHOLE bar being minging…..

andytherocketeer

sounds like a good proposal to me.

don’t mind there being a dirty smoking corner for those that really must partake.

hels
    Free Member

Yeah, pubs closed due to brewery cartels and people don’t have any frackin money to spend on going out any more, not smokers.

A beer garden with kids and a bouncy castle that sounds like hell.

I have always thought a person could make a lot of money out of a restaurant/pub chain that banned children entirely and wasn’t ashamed of it.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I would be happy for smoking to only be legal in any place the general public cant access. Ie a persons own home. I cannot think of any place that I can justify them being allowed to smoke where I or the general public would be present were it is remotely acceptable.

All of my immediate family smoke and they are as ignorant as all other smokers to its effects. I have just come back from my brothers wedding abroad and it was vomit inducingly obvious that the ‘brits abroad; had suddenly been allowed to smoke in public whilst away from the uk. I was ashamed tbh because it was so obvious that they had been let out of their cages to puff on their cancer sticks and would soon be put back in their boxes when they went home.

Again, I have also returned from a family holiday to Lanzerote. Sat around a hotel pool and two teenagers/early 20’s sat on the spare sun lounger next to me and my kids. Lit their fags and then for some reason produced the biggest plumes of smoke I have ever seen from 2 fags. After 5mins of this I pointed out I was not happy at my kids breathing in their shite and they moved on. Funnily enough other people were smoking around us but producing 1/10th of the effect these two hip youngsters were and they were blowing it directly in my kids faces.

So, unless smokers get some kind of electrical taser device that fires when they are being antisocial then it should be banned from 100% of areas open to the general public. Ie everywhere except their home.

Drac

I have always thought a person could make a lot of money out of a restaurant/pub chain that banned children entirely and wasn’t ashamed of it.

Where as others have realised that people like to take their families out and have made a lot of money out of it and not been ashamed of it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yet nobody has tried it…or at least very few. If there was so much money in it, surely some clever shit would have tried it? Maybe give it a go yourself? Plenty pubs/cafe bars around me request that there be no children after a certain time – usually 8.30/9ish, which is fair enough.

A crappy old child-unfriendly pub near me closed its doors recently. Local FB site has just seen an announcement that it will be taken over and re-opened by a pretty cool family friendly café-bar – seems the neighbourhood is pretty excited at the prospect. I’m certain it’ll do very well. Go figure eh?

brakes
    Free Member

hate smoking.
    more of this please.

robdob
    Free Member

TLH – they probably weren’t taking the smoke into their lungs, like you’re supposed to get the full benefit (err maybe not the right word!) of the smoke. I don’t know how it works but if you keep the smoke in your mouth and blow it out it is much more intense. A lot of new/younger smokers do this.

binners

You know the other 51 weeks a year, when the suns not out? Well you’ll still find us in the beer garden. We’re effectively residents. Because it’s the only place we can smoke without offending the oh-so-delicate sensibilities of the bed-wetting fraternity, and inducing fits of the sort of whiney, pompous, i-know-what’s-good-for-you, sanctimonious, self-righteous, holier than thou bleating this thread will doubtless soon be full of.

So… in short…. seeing as that’s the only place we’ve got left for our slow-motion suicide attempts, you can all **** off!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

the only place

It’s not, no.

Drac

i-know-what’s-good-for-you,

It’s what’s good for me I’m bothered about.

johndoh
    Free Member

Gets my vote – dirty, smelly habit. I don’t want to sit in a beer garden enjoying a pint just to have someone near me smoking and having the smoke waft in my direction.

Filthy horrible habit.

Cigarette smoke is pretty unpleasant stuff if you have to breath it in and I’m glad I no longer have to suffer it in office spaces, but I’ve never got the whole “smoking is disgusting” thing. Unpleasant and unhealthy, yes.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

dirty, smelly

To be fair, that’s binners before he’s even lit up.

Northwind

hels – Member

A beer garden with kids and a bouncy castle that sounds like hell.

Depends, am I allowed on the bouncy castle? We get one every year for graduation, I don’t think I’m strictly allowed on it but no ****’s going to tell me not to go on a bouncy castle when I’m supposed to be working, it’s a basic human right.

Harry_the_Spider

Careful, you might hurt yourself.

Klunk
    Free Member

as with all things like this, going with the opposite of the DM readership is always a safe bet, so I think it’s a good idea 😉

footflaps

About time I say.

+1

binners

And if you refer to having a pint in the beer garden as al fresco drinking then you deserve waterboarding!

Drac

And if you refer to having a pint in the beer garden as al fresco drinking then you deserve waterboarding!

It’s not as it’s full of smokers so not very al fresco at all.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

robdob, think you are right.

Smoking definitely falls into the disgusting category for me. Not far behind me pissing on your leg without permission tbh.

Having livid with it for 16yrs as a kid I know how ignorant a smoker is to the effect it has on others.

The one that really annoys me in the UK is mothers smoking in playparks. My kids are there, its a public facility and they think its ok to smoke in ‘the open’. If only to make up for their ignorance all smoking should be illegal unless in their own home

ransos
    Free Member

You know the other 51 weeks a year, when the suns not out? Well you’ll still find us in the beer garden.

You’re allowed inside. No-one is forcing you to smoke.

trail_rat
    Free Member

thinking about it now.

just back from california.

Ate out and went to pubs alot came across this issue precisely zero times.

who would have thought americans with better manners than the brits.

DaRC_L

binners + 1, but mostly because this whole message feeds the current British puritanical, snobby hater mentality.
    It’s funny how the people that support this regulate everything approach also don’t want a nanny/communist state 🙄

Bring back tolerance I say.

Actually, I quite like the smell of pipe tobacco.

Can we make an exception for pipe smokers?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 334 total)

The topic ‘Smoking is a pretty disgusting habit, but…’ is closed to new replies.