• This topic has 333 replies, 83 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Del.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 334 total)
  • Smoking is a pretty disgusting habit, but…
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Plenty of smokers manage it.

Nonsense.

binners

Don’t you realise my inadequacy is why I drink, smoke and eat Pies?

I ask you…. Where’s the humanity?

*bursts into tears*

mikey3
    Free Member

Bet half of you smoke haters think nothing of knocking back a bottle of some poncy whisky every week while sitting in you driftwood carved chair and fingering your axe while switching off the light to see the million dials on your hideous watch glow in the dark.Smoking is quite smelly tho so fair enough. 🙂

bearnecessities

Above anything else, this thread just highlights how many w***ers there are that post on here. One can only hope that the many lurkers that don’t post, are of a less sanctimonious/ignorant view. You’d probably guess from the fact they don’t post, they are.

Smokers, generally, are fully aware of what a stupid and nasty habit it is.

They usually behave appropriately and not inflict it on anyone else. An ask to persist would be met with slight shame and immediate compliance.

However, it’s just so easy to associate a smoker with some dole-claimer that lives on a council estate for some of you, an ignorant nob with a fag in his hand, or some poor bastard that is unfortunate enough to be drinking at the dog & duck at 11am, or “smelly scum”.

So, to the people that throw your insults on this thread about smokers – you are just shouty, ignorant, stereotyping, generally unpleasant & offensive – well done you.

You know nothing about me, what I value, how I behave and the person I am.

Richard, 37 (fitter than you 🙂 ), smoker.

Cougar

smoker

Oddly, I guessed that long before you explicitly stated it.

Some smokers are considerate. Some smokers are inconsiderate. That’s the fact of the matter. There’s no “generally” anything, as there rarely is when you’re discussing any group of people.

bearnecessities

Please allow me to do the whole “FTFY”.

Some smokers people are considerate. Some smokers people are inconsiderate.

binners

You’ll have to shout. It’s a long way up in those saddles.

bearnecessities

Can’t, I’m out of breath just using the keyboard.

convert

Richard, 37, fitter than you, smoker.

And ever so slightly tetchy about people not respecting your right to smoke too I sense.

You are right though, I’ve lost my ability to be particularly sensitive and non judgemental about smokers. After my father died very young of lung cancer from a lifetime of smoking I have come to realise that those that truly loose out most to smoking are not the smokers themselves (they are now dead, it makes little odds to them) but their families. I’ve watched my mother come to terms with spending a good chunk of her life alone and with financial worry. It’s heart breaking.

So yes, I do think your average smoker has a surplus of the selfish gene and I tend not to miss a chance to insult their ability to make good decisions and it being a pretty good indicator of poor personality traits. I spent a lifetime of the cajoling approach with my nearest and dearest with no effect so I’ve elected to take a more arsey attitude from now on! Sorry.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Personally, I couldn’t give a monkey’s if people smoke in beer gardens.
    It’s part of pub life as far as I’m concerned.

Never found it in the least bit irritating when a faint whiff of fag smoke comes my way.
    Should I get myself to the docs sharpish to check out my lung function?

Cougar

Please allow me to do the whole “FTFY”.

I don’t disagree, but we’re not talking about all people, we’re talking about smokers. So that’s just a, erm, smokescreen.

bearnecessities

Convert, I know you don’t shy away from a contentious topic, but I’ll pipe down. Sorry about what you’ve experienced, and you’ve every right to feel how you do.

Cougar, not sure what your point is.

Cougar

I’m not sure I am either. (-:

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Convert, we all do stuff that others could consider us to have the selfish gene. Probably even you.

convert

Probably even you.

Undoubtably. Probably a huge hypocrite but I’d rather be that and made enough noise that even one person thought about their actions and changed their ways.

epicyclo

bearnecessities – Member
    …Richard, 37 (fitter than you ), smoker.

A false dawn.

Let’s check back on your status in 5-10 years time. You’re soon going to hit the wall where smokers stop doing physical activity or get their heart attack while doing it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

How would people feel if the person in the beer garden next to them was farting continually, say every 10 or 15 seconds, and it was blowing your way?

binners

I’d be really impressed. Everyone knows farting is funny.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPIP9KXdmO0[/video]

rOcKeTdOg

They usually behave appropriately and not inflict it on anyone else. An ask to persist would be met with slight shame and immediate compliance.

You are joking? Any polite request is usually followed by swearing, “where the **** am I supposed to smoke & a **** ** inside if you don’t like it,outside is for smoking”

This has happened at pubs & outside cafés

binners

Thats not true, is it?

You’ve actually asked someone to stop smoking, and you’ve been met with a deluge of abuse? On a number of occasions? Really?

Could you get into specifics of what, and where, these incidents happened, because frankly I don’t believe that for a second.

bearnecessities

Epicyclo, pretty aware of that 😐 I really should pack it in. Stupid habit.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You’ve actually asked someone to stop smoking

I prefer not to talk to them at all tbh.

hels
    Free Member

We got this once – sitting outside near the canal basin in Edinburgh after a bike ride – having a drink at the outside tables with all the bikes stacked up where we could see them.

Lassie comes out and starts having a go at us “the outside tables are for the smokers” was hilarious !

binners

I don’t blame you Bravissimo. Us smkers are so desensitised to the feelings of others, that we’ve retreated into our cynical and selfish shells, and the only way we can communicate with people of superior judgement and, well… just superior everything, is through profuse, aggressive swearing, and by blowing smoke into their children faces

chestrockwell

Undoubtably. Probably a huge hypocrite but I’d rather be that and made enough noise that even one person thought about their actions and changed their ways.

Problem is by making all the noise you’ve more chance of no one listening.

bikebouy
    Free Member

A little sympathy for converts experiance, not in a similar way but my Mother used to smoke back in the 60’/70’s/80’s, Dad didn’t. Dad died of bowel Cancer and Mom stopped smoking. Roll up to 3 years ago and now 83yrs of age shes started again. I went up to see her one weekend not long after and was amazed. No amount of talking to her persuaded to stop, she just said “my life, my business”
    She’s a strong willed old stick my Mother, that comment is what I would have expected.

nealglover
    Free Member

Any polite request is usually followed by swearing, “where the **** am I supposed to smoke & a **** ** inside if you don’t like it,outside is for smoking”

In my experience, it’s usually followed with a grovelling apology and the other party offering to pay for my meal, all my drinks, a new suit from his personal Tailor, free use of his holiday villa in Monaco and a taxi home.

(Meaning, I’ve never actually asked either. But if I did, I imagine that’s what would happen)

🙂

kcr
    Free Member

I reckon if they introduce an extended ban there will be very little fuss, and in a few years everyone will be saying “why didn’t we do that years ago?“

binners

Absolutely. Its only human nature to respond in an overwhelming positive manner when someone adopts a lofty, morally superior tone, and haughtily informs me that I am an idiot, and my lifestyle choices, which are far inferior to theirs, need to change

convert

Absolutely. Its only human nature to respond in an overwhelming positive manner when someone adopts a lofty, morally superior tone, and haughtily informs me that I am an idiot, and my lifestyle choices, which are far inferior to theirs, need to change

Well it might work for someone – just maybe not you. Most smokers are pretty thick skinned it seems. The cajoling approach doesn’t seem to work on a lot. If some can be shamed into stopping because you feel socially despised or made to think about the long term impact on loved ones that most smokers like to brush over that’s great. If it just makes you just feel insulted – well there’s no great loss there in my book. Sorry, I’ve yet to meet a smoker I don’t feel superior to because it is such a visible sign of failure as a person and I suspect most non smokers feel the same. Most (and me for years) just choose not to articulate it. As a smoker I suspect you just don’t see it.

What happened to your attempts to stop? I remember reading your posts about your attempts to stop over the years. Conscious decision to go back or did it just beat you? Do you ever connect you kids being likely to loose their father from their life earlier than necessary to the act of pulling the packet out of your pocket or the possibility you won’t get to meet your grandkids?

binners

I’ve yet to meet a smoker I don’t feel superior to because it is such a visible sign of failure as a person

You should write a self-help book for all the people who are inferior to you. Don’t just stop at smoking though. That would be a travesty. You seem to just have so much to give, that we could all benefit from.

What happened to your attempts to stop? I remember reading your posts about your attempts to stop over the years. Conscious decision to go back or did it just beat you?

I’m just weak and pathetic. A snivelling, grovelling excuse of a man. Not fit to be in the same beer garden as men of stature such as yourself

convert

Are you avoiding the question? What happened to your attempt to stop? You obviously thought you wanted to at some point.

convert

I’m just weak and pathetic. A snivelling, grovelling excuse of a man. Not fit to be in the same beer garden as men of stature such as yourself

I know you are saying this as a backhanded insult but in this regard at least, you know what, you are probably not far off the mark. As I said above I’ve given up with being cajoling and diplomatic and just say it as I see it. Sorry if it is offensive.

edit – just to add. I’m not bothered about a bit of smoke in a beer garden. Weirdly I quite like the smell – reminds me of my childhood 😉

binners

Fun as at is discussing my glaring character flaws, and imminent death – getting back to the subject in hand – The Mash nails it yet again 😀

nealglover
    Free Member

Sorry if it is offensive

trail_rat
    Free Member

whos the dailymash reporter on here….as if by magic.

Campaign to make pubs unbearable continues

appologies if its been posted in here before but i lost interest in binners comments.

TerryWrist
    Free Member

Binners is getting to the point of it, it’s an excuse for middle-class whiny cockbags to act superior. You know the sort of ponces, graphic designers who say they love Greggs (in an ironic way of course), like 6 Music and spend their time doing sickeningly twee things like designing t-shirts for their gang of cycling mates. They should leave pubs for good old salt of the earth types who’d deck you if you asked them not to blow cancer in your face and then try and drown you in Carlsberg.

imnotverygood

You are floundering a bit now binners.

binners

Am I? Oh…..

I just like to make everyone feel a bit better about themselves. A bit… you know… superior. Its public service really. As I’ve said countless times already… a bit of gratitude wouldn’t go amiss

*nips outside to have a fag in the pissing rain*

sbob
    Free Member

I work in a pub.
    Apart from smokers not causing anyone any bother (believe me, I’d know about it straight away… :wink:) I’m just glad that 99.999% of my customers are not the arseholes being either described or demonstrated on this forum.

And that even includes the great many cyclists that frequent my beautiful boozer.
    🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 334 total)

The topic ‘Smoking is a pretty disgusting habit, but…’ is closed to new replies.