Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 211 total)
  • Sir David of Beckham
  • IHN

Ooh, where do I come in the charts?

stewartc
    Free Member

There is no pleasing some people.

thx1138
    Free Member

I’ve got you down as 56th least open.

How kind of you.

Beckham’s a mercenary like most of the others. Of course he’s going to go for the biggest salary he can get, and the maximum exposure and promotion for Brand Beckham. Doesn’t mean he’s not a decent human being, but he could do far more good stuff with his £175m fortune really, if he’d genuine about wanting to help others, couldn’t he? I think that’s what some of us are getting at, that we’re looking a bit beyond the immediate ‘oh what a lovely bloke he is’ reaction by people. And seeing that actually, it does well appear to be little more than a clever PR move.

That some French kiddies will benefit is great, but then if people like Beckham weren’t paid such obscene sums in the first place, then there might be a bit more cash to spread around everyone else.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ooh, where do I come in the charts?

IHN, you’re so open, you’re inside out. 🙂

IHN

Not ‘alf! 🙂

binners

Whats it like, being you?

thx1138
    Free Member

Whats it like, being you?

Infinitely preferable to being you. 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

‘oh what a lovely bloke he is’

Hang on, “oh what a lovely bloke” and veneration are two different things. Where are you exactly on this?

That some French kiddies will benefit is great

That’s lovely that.

CountZero

Oscillate Wildly – Member
    by the way, good on you ‘normal’ everyday folks that do donate – hats off!

Wow, that’s so condescending and patronising of you! What a big, generous person you are… 🙄
    I’m sure you’ll really appreciate the help you haven’t given should you have the need for an air ambulance call-out, or similar.
    Arse.

joeydeacon
    Free Member
    oscillatewildly
    Free Member

CountZero – Member
    Oscillate Wildly – Member
    by the way, good on you ‘normal’ everyday folks that do donate – hats off!

Wow, that’s so condescending and patronising of you! What a big, generous person you are…
    I’m sure you’ll really appreciate the help you haven’t given should you have the need for an air ambulance call-out, or similar.
    Arse.

😆

it wasnt patronising at all, well not intended, perhaps take off those rose tinted specs, young sir!

and i have donated to the air ambuluance before as i do to the red cross etc, not that ive needed the air ambulance mind…so touche

i just didnt make a song and dance about it

enfht
    Free Member

Berm Bandit you should declare a vested interest given you’re French.

Jamie
    Free Member

Blimey 😐

Woody
    Free Member

i could give £5 a week sure, so could everyone else, but i dont nor do alot of other people

[quote]by the way, good on you ‘normal’ everyday folks that do donate – hats off! [/quote]Followed by

and i have donated to the air ambulance before as i do to the red cross etc, not that ive needed the air ambulance mind…so touche

So you’re boasting about giving to charity now. Is that to try and appear less of a ****?

Make your mind up!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

😆

im not boasting at all, i gave a small small donation as i passed them once, nothing major…then the same as i always do for the poppy appeal too, again nothing major and hardly any noticeable amount of cash, does that make it less helpful?!?! or makes me less of a person than that Beckham?….

and im less of a dick for having a different opionion to your rose tinted glasses self? ohhh of course its STW afterall!

its not a regular thing by any means, and i dont regularly make charitble donations, and no i dont get the need to get out a tannoy and advertise it to the world HOW AWESOME AND SPECIAL I AM that i am doing it

😆 nice try soft lad

Woody
    Free Member

and im less of a dick for having a different opionion to your rose tinted glasses self?

I have to agree with you there. You’re definitely not less of a dick.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i’m one day hoping to reach fully fledged dick, lets hope its some time soon – and then ill come knocking again to the next time a thread with a so called ‘celeb’ makes a so called ‘charitable donation’ then eh?!

i mean what celebrity would ever dream of doing something for nothing eh?!

god bless your naive views

Woody
    Free Member

Nice attempt at patronising OW but can I just point out that it is often the charity itself which is most keen to have celebrities as patrons/donors and to publicise the fact.

I’m sure even you can work out the rationale behind it.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

clever boy!

charities use celebrities for/to gain money

+

celebrities use charities for PUBLICITY

see what im getting at now? finally!

see what david beckhams getting at now?!?!

BermBandit
    Free Member

Berm Bandit you should declare a vested interest given you’re French.

Merde! …….. Busted! ….. désolé pour la réponse lente. Je me bats avec les rebelles à Tombouctou, et la connexion internet est un peu lent.
    Mais oui, je suis le légionnaire gay de la ville St Geramine vieux à votre service ”

Woody
    Free Member

Getting very bored of this now and I’m still waiting for you to answer how you know that celebrities only do charitable work as a means of self-publicity.

Beckham hardly needs it to increase his profile, as he merely has to scratch his arse for it to be on every front page worldwide. The money is a relatively small amount for him to donate but what he does give up is his time, which I imagine he has far less going spare of than most of us and it is that, which says a lot more about his motives than a showy PR stunt.

Jamie
    Free Member

Go Go Google Translate!

taxi25
    Free Member

He certainly doesn’t come across as someone motivated primarily by greed! As this gesture has demonstrated.

I agree I think his primary motivation is playing and a love of football. If he lost it all money, cars, houses and most of his talent, i still reckon he’d be out there on a wet sunday morning playing for his local pub team.

algarvebairn
    Free Member

I’ve heard others complaining that he should be donating to a UK charity not a French one. Its Jingoism gone mad I tell you.

BoardinBob

thx1138 – Member

£125m over 5 years is nothing in football terms. Works out at £50k a week

Maths isn’t your strong point, is it?

Oh aye, missed a zero in my calculations. That’s £480k a week 😯

BermBandit
    Free Member

Go Go Google Translate!

Damn …. you guys just won’t let a girl have any secrets!

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m not under the pretense that my opinion matters, but it is that this is a real low point of STW, and there’s been a few.
    Damning a bloke for giving money to charity. FFS.

jekkyl

if he’s not interested in the money why doesn’t he come and play for a low league struggling english team….. Sheffield Wednesday??

binners

Erm…. Let me think, now. Could it be that he fancies playing at the highest level in Europe? As thats been the proposition he’s been offered? As opposed to spending Wednesday nights against Blackpool? I’m only guessing, obviously.

jekkyl

wasn’t a serious question 😀 but thank you for your serious reply mr bin man. 😉

binners

No problem! It’s become increasingly difficult to fathom what’s what on this thread 😀

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s not ‘greater’ a gesture than someone earning £20k a year donating £500 a year to charity though, is it really?

Well. Yes it is actually 😐

It’s the equivalent of someone who earns £20k a year giving just shy of £8.5k to charity.

As he is giving five months Salary away.

If you are going to take total worth I to the equation, you can’t just do it for one side.

It’s not that hard to figure out surely.

Jamie
    Free Member

No problem! It’s become increasingly difficult to fathom what’s what on this thread

It has indeed gone in some directions I didn’t foresee.

Rich tapestry of life etc etc.

thx1138
    Free Member

Damning a bloke for giving money to charity. FFS.

No. Get a grip. No-one’s ‘damning’ him, stop being so hysterical. Some people are simply being a bit more open-minded, rather than getting caught up in the Saint David of Beckham mass adulation.

The guy has far more money than he knows what to do with (as exemplified by the obscene vulgarity of his family’s lifestyle). Not that he shouldn’t enjoy the fruits of his endeavours, far from it. But there comes a point of being comfortable and set for life, and he is way, way beyond that. In order for people like him to be incredibly wealthy, means that an awful lot of other people have to be extremely poor, and that’s an inequality which needs constant examination and criticism. What, now no-one’s allowed to criticise anyone? So much for Freedom of Speech.

It’s the equivalent of someone who earns £20k a year giving just shy of £8.5k to charity.

As he is giving five months Salary away.

If you are going to take total worth I to the equation, you can’t just do it for one side.

It’s not that hard to figure out surely.

That’s a silly argument. £500 a year to someone earning £20k is a significant amount of money, and they may have living costs which mean such a sum is just too much for them to give. That could well be more than all the ‘disposable’ income they have for the year. A tax-deducted percentage of £3m to a man who has a personal fortune in the hundreds of millions is nothing. Beckham isn’t going to go without something he needs, by giving away 5 months salary is he now? It’s not that hard to figure it out, surely?

if we were to use the idea of ‘giving what you can afford’, then Beckham could afford to give a hell of a lot more. And still have enough left for his and his family’s lifetimes, several times over.

nealglover
    Free Member

That’s a silly argument.

It’s perfectly logical actually.

If someone is going to use Total Worth on one side of a comparison, and just Salary on the other.

Then the comparison makes no sense at all.

You may as well compare One persons salary, and the coins in the ashtray of your car and decide who’s “best” for donating to charity.

seba560
    Free Member

The guy has far more money than he knows what to do with (as exemplified by the obscene vulgarity of his family’s lifestyle). Not that he shouldn’t enjoy the fruits of his endeavours, far from it. But there comes a point of being comfortable and set for life, and he is way, way beyond that. In order for people like him to be incredibly wealthy, means that an awful lot of other people have to be extremely poor, and that’s an inequality which needs constant examination and criticism. What, now no-one’s allowed to criticise anyone? So much for Freedom of Speech.

I can only dream of being so open minded.

wrecker
    Free Member

I can only dream of being so open minded.

+1
    What a bellend

And all this ratio of wealth stuff is gash.
    What matters is the charity and what would they prefer, 0.1% of beckhams wealth or 50% of mine?

wallace1492
    Free Member

Fair play to him, the charity gets his salary and presumable any tax he would have paid on it. Not sure how some people think he has a tax break on it, as he will have given it all away.

So he gives a shedload to charity yet people still feel the need to be critical. 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ll have 50% of yours wrecker. Then you’ll be broke. 😛

thx, that’s a hell of a statement considering you were keeping an

open mind

earlier.

63 voices now and I’ve got you down as the 62nd least open minded. And that’s only because wrecker joined in. 😀

wrecker
    Free Member

As you well know DD, my GAFometer nary flickers.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 211 total)

The topic ‘Sir David of Beckham’ is closed to new replies.