Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 211 total)
  • Sir David of Beckham
  • somouk
    Free Member

Fair play to him I say.

IHN

I’m not gay or ‘owt but…

#mancrush

*sigh*

binners

The bloke’s an absolute legend! I also think whats been overlooked yesterday was his statement that as a United Fan, he could never play for another Premiership club. In the midst of Yesterdays unsavory transfer deadline mercenaries (Peter Odemwingie?), this also marks him out against his peers.

Lets just remind ourselves how bloody good he is. This is pure class…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4tVnpwp8d4[/video]

😀

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Strip away all the hype & branding around Beckham & there’s just a bloke who loves playing football, 37 going on 17. Good luck to him at PSG – Henry Winter.

The guy has class.

convert

His footballering has brought him untold wealth but I just can’t help but admire the guy. He is in the happy position, even amongst his peers, of having enough cash to not need to worry on that score but even so I genuinely get the impression that playing for and captaining the national team and being involved in the Olympics (bid and event) was as much a motivating factor as anything.

This was a very nice gesture as a last professional footballer commitment.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not a Becks (or a football) fan, but whatever the ulterior motives (and I’m not really sure there actually are any – he doesn’t need the good publicity any more than the money) this is a very good thing he’s doing.

Lets just remind ourselves how bloody good he is was

bwaarp
    Free Member

Nobel Peace Prize

The day Beckham get’s a Nobel Peace Prize is the day I get incurable depression.

binners

Well they gave one to Henry Kissinger. 😯

Jamie
    Free Member

…and he was shit at football.

neninja
    Free Member

He does come across as a thoroughly decent bloke. The haters need to find a more appropriate target.

IHN

Like his wife 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

The haters need to find a more appropriate target.

I believe this guy is fairly unpopular at the moment:

aracer
    Free Member

Well they gave one to Henry Kissinger. the EU

😯 😯 😯 😯 😯

IHN

We may be digressing, but there’s a strong argument that the EU (and it’s forebears) is the main reason why the major powers of Western Europe haven’t been at war for the last 60 years, unlike the previous 500+. I’d say that deserves recognition.

BermBandit
    Free Member

The transformation from petulant kid to world class sporting icon is nothing short of miraculous.

I well remember the vitriol that was heaped on the guy after that game against Argentina, and also the shit storm around the Rebecca “Loose” business.

He’s handled it all with great dignity and intelligence,(and even if it wasn’t him, he had the wit to get the right people around him to do it for him).

As far as I’m concerned he epitomises what a priviliged sport star should aspire to be, and is a role model for both his peers and for kids worldwide.

Regarding the jibes about his PR and self interest in his actions. Would he be in the position to do what he does without it I wonder? Remember there are plenty of people out there with PR etc, who still then behave like twunts, and do nothing at all with it.

Good on him, and so how about we just celebrate that rare commodity, a good British bloke?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Good on him and all that… but…

Rememeber France just up their higher rate income tax to 75%.

Still a good guy mind.

jekkyl

it hasn’t cost him 3million quid, it’s cost him 3 mill less tax, which for a high earner like becks in france with auesterity measures will be quite considerable. I cba to google it but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s more than 60% at that level. Becks has got other incomes I’m sure, brand advertising pants and selling his smell, he will probably be able to offset the charity donation and it may very well end up that he is able to either make a greater amount of money or it’s costing him very little indeed. What a guy!

Jamie
    Free Member

it hasn’t cost him 3million quid, it’s cost him 3 mill less tax, which for a high earner like becks in france with auesterity measures will be quite considerable. I cba to google it but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s more than 60% at that level. Becks has got other incomes I’m sure, brand advertising pants and selling his smell, he will probably be able to offset the charity donation and it may very well end up that he is able to either make a greater amount of money or it’s costing him very little indeed. What a guy!

If it makes it slightly more palatable to your delicate sensibilities, how about looking at it from the charities point of view. As in they are £3m better off.

jekkyl

yeah that’s great, it is probably the fact that you won’t pay tax on charity donations in France so that’s mint. Can the charity be Mr Jek’s beer fund? 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve always thought Becks was one of the good guys. Flawed at times, yes. Possibly not the most academically gifted bloke in the world. But his intentions have always been positive. And he’s not done too badly for someone who’s a bit wooden when it comes to public speaking. I’d have a beer with him.

What the thread shows is that he could sign away every penny he has, and go and work with sick kids in the slums of Charlestown, but because he kicked a round ball around the field, some folk will refuse to see any good in him at all.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Lots of people spend their entire career or even give their lives working for The Red Cross, Medicines Sans Frontiers, UNICEF, the United Nations etc.

Most of these people will never be venerated for it, so I don’t see why Beckham should be.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Very few of them have three mill to pass on.

Money talks bro.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Very few of them have three mill to pass on.

Money talks bro.

Lots of them give more than 3 million in terms of effort, risk to their lives and on top of that also a higher % of their salary.

Money isn’t everything when it comes to charity. Basically, I’ll read an article about Beckhams charitable work the day he starts clearing landmines in Kosovo or dodging bullets in a civil war ridden hell hole.

For now, I won’t lift him to the high esteem I hold for many others that go unnoticed and don’t mind going unnoticed – who get on with their jobs quietly and do all the freaking hard work.

Woody
    Free Member

However, I’m sure that donating 3m to charity will do his tax bill some serious favours

[quote]it hasn’t cost him 3million quid, it’s cost him 3 mill less tax[/quote]
    STW know-alls in understanding how tax systems work FAIL 🙄

Good on him I say.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Gary_C – Member
    ‘Brand Beckham’ promoting himself yet again.

Why announce that he’s ‘playing for free & donating his salary to charity’? Why not just do it & not publicise it?

Cynical, me?

+1 i love to be cynical, i really do, mainly because its true!

its just another beckham PR stunt, to keep his name in the papers IMO, he’s not good enough for the championship let alone playing alongside Zlatan Ibrahimovic

i could throw bono into the topic, but i’ll just leave it at, celebrities only do something for free, if its worth it to them in the long run.

he could equally just donate 50million of his 175million fortune if he really wanted to couldnt he, as could absolutly every other so called ‘celebrity’

yes im a cynic, but i dont give to charity and i doubt any of them did before they realised it helped their image/to stay in the lime light

/out of cynic mode

he does seem like a genuinely nice chap though on the plus side 😆

IHN

Most of these people will never be venerated for it, so I don’t see why Beckham should be.

So, because they’re not given enough exposure for doing good work (and I think we can probably agree that they’re not), he shouldn’t be given any?

There really are some bitter, cynical buggers about.

Maybe all those having a dig at Beckham might like to demonstrate the charitable work that they do, or charitable contributions that they make. And, by their own standards, explain why they don’t do more than they do, because they can probably afford the money and/or time.

IHN

but i dont give to charity

So you don’t give anything but criticise others for not giving enough?

You sir, are a **** hypocrite.

binners

Amazing! Lets have a dig at someone for donating £3 million to charity. Some of you lot really do need to have a word with yourselves 🙄

bwaarp
    Free Member

So, because they’re not given enough exposure for doing good work (and I think we can probably agree that they’re not), he shouldn’t be given any?

There really are some bitter, cynical buggers about.

Maybe all those having a dig at Beckham might like to demonstrate the charitable work that they do, or charitable contributions that they make. And, by their own standards, explain why they don’t do more than they do, because they can probably afford the money and/or time.

It’s a PR move – as others have said – why is he boasting about it to the national papers?

Secondly most normal people that do charity work have to give up a lot more of their disposable income than Beckham.

Thirdly I don’t really have to bother telling you this as it’s private but I signed up to get on a waiting list with MSF to work as a Biomedical Scientist in the field. Loads and loads and loads of people do charity work, I know some people who do a lot that are barely above the poverty line themselves.

I’m not criticizing him for giving 3 million, I’m just saying I don’t give a **** about it/I’m not very moved by it. But hey, let’s all be deferential to the wonderfully altruistic celebrity.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Money isn’t everything when it comes to charity. Basically, I’ll read an article about Beckhams charitable work the day he starts clearing landmines in Kosovo or dodging bullets in a civil war ridden hell hole.

Which kinda sits nicely with my previous point. He’s obviously not going to do those things (did you choose two specific jobs well outside his skillset?). You’re not going to see any good in his deed.

Of course money isn’t the answer to everything in charity. Maybe he doesn’t have the skillz for land mine clearing or bullet dodging. He’s a ball kicker. How do you reckon charities would get on if nobody made boutique donations and just turned up and did stuff instead. Perhaps you should ask the charity in question’s trustees whether they’d rather he gave them three million of came and did a bit of weekend feeding.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Of course money isn’t the answer to everything in charity. Maybe he doesn’t have the skillz for land mine clearing or bullet dodging. He’s a ball kicker. How do you reckon charities would get on if nobody made boutique donations and just turned up and did stuff instead. Perhaps you should ask the charity in question’s trustees whether they’d rather he gave them three million of came and did a bit of weekend feeding.

Anyone can clear land mines if they have the bollocks for it. That’s besides the point.

As I said in my last post, I don’t mind that he gave the money….I just don’t see what all the deference and veneration over it is about.

IHN

I don’t mind that he gave the money

That’s big of you.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Anyone can clear land mines if they have the bollocks for it. That’s besides the point.

Erm, I don’t think they can.

And bear in mind, he’s not boasting about it. He was asked in a press conference. And if you’re going to start on about it being a PR move, you might want to think about PSG’s positive publicity. AFAIK, they have new owners and big ambitions.

And y’know that waiting list you’re on? How do you think they’d build a laboratory to utilise your skillz? Unless of course you just put yourself down on a list saying, “I’ll dig foundations and do a bit of labouring. Anything really. I don’t have to be a Biomedical Scientist.”

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

IHN – Member

but i dont give to charity

So you don’t give anything but criticise others for not giving enough?

You sir, are a **** hypocrite.

😆 ooooh calm down dear – im not a hypocrite at all, ive never professed to give to charity, nor agreed or disagreed to it so how is that being hypocritical?

they only give to charity, to gain for themselves

i love the fact they all live multi-millionaire lifestyles, in there £million pounds houses, with there £££££££££’s of cars, flashyness etc

then expect hardworking general public to give what little they have to help, when david beckham/bono etc could solve all the worlds misery/hunger/death in one big swoop if they’d donate all their 100’s of millions

the fact they dont, suggests to me they’d prefer to live their flashy lifestyles and its all just a massive PR stunt and have the benefit of being ‘ooooowww look what he’s done for charity, such a great person’ – as above if he wasnt bothered about the money, he could have just donated it and kept quiet – he didnt, just like every other self proffessed celebrity ‘charity worker’ who likes to shout their own self importance on this mortal realm

im a cynic yes, and i’ll freely admit it, im no hypocrit though, not in this situation anwyays

neninja
    Free Member

He’s not a full time charity worker, he’s a pro footballer, however, Beckham has chosen to spend much of his spare time working with charities.

He could quite easily just spend his leisure time elsewhere but he chooses to use his fame to help raise funds for and the profile of charities. He’s a UNICEF ambassador and works with Red Cross, Princes Trust, Help for Heroes, etc.

NSPCC put him in their hall of fame for the amount of work he’s done for them.

Let’s just be happy that the guy has made a noble gesture that will be of huge benefit to a kids charity.

thx1138
    Free Member

What proportion of his entire wealth is £3m-tax (what he would actually be paid for 5 months) though? Not an enormous amount I’d wager. And probably a darn sight less than the millions he and his wife have spunked on vulgar tat and ‘bling’ over the years. And there’s no actual effort in redirecting the salary to the charity for him. As pointed out; countless numbers of people do far, far more actual hard work for charities, in terrible conditions and heartbreaking situations. So yes, it’s quite a ‘generous’ thing for him to do, but no big deal really and certainly not really newsworthy. And I’d imagine the dividends from increased sponsorship/endorsements etc he’ll get as a result of this carefully stage-managed PR stunt will more than likely outweigh what he would have got had he kept his after tax salary.

In the midst of Yesterdays unsavory transfer deadline mercenaries (Peter Odemwingie?), this also marks him out against his peers.

Remind me again why he went to Real Madrid (and subsequently LA Galaxy)?

He wasn’t the best player at Man United, let alone England. Way overhyped, no doubt helped by having a pop tart wife. He seems a decent enough person, but he’d still some way of deserving a sainthood.

BermBandit
    Free Member

he could equally just donate 50million of his 175million

Lets just doe the sums shall we? 3 million is 1.71% of a £175 million fortune

To equate to that

On a £20,000 salary you need to donate £342 per annum]
    …..£25,000 ……………………. £427.5 …….
    …..£30,000 ……………………. £513 ………

and so….. now thats just salary, not your personal net worth, so when all possessions and what have you are thrown in thats more like a fair comparision. however, I would guess that there are few if any of the moaners on here donate even the above to charity.

…….oh an by the way, my good cause is gnarlier than your good cause, and my charitable example is much more charitable etc etec…. Jeez some people!! 😥

convert

then expect hardworking general public to give what little they have to help, when david beckham/bono etc could solve all the worlds misery/hunger/death in one big swoop if they’d donate all their 100’s of millions

I’m not comparing you to the rich and famous, but as another normal hardworking general public member I find the fact you can’t find your way to give anything to charity a bit sad and unusually self centred.

Does it exclude you from this conversation? No, but it besmirches much of what you have to say. I find it strange if that’s your attitude to charity giving that you have any opinion about the giving of others.

IHN

im not a hypocrite at all

I say you are.

You criticise rich people for not giving more (or indeed all?) of their money to charity, yet you give none of your own. If you think that they should give away everything they have other than that they need to live on, shouldn’t you do the same?

he could have just donated it and kept quiet

as has been said, he was asked a question in a press conference. He could, I suppose, have not mentioned that the money was going to charity, but then he’d be tarred with the “footballers earn stupid money” brush.

Someone here has done something voluntarily that will benefit a huge amount of people. If you can’t recognise that as something good then, frankly, I pity you.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 211 total)

The topic ‘Sir David of Beckham’ is closed to new replies.