Home Forums Bike Forum Silverdale – Lancaster – Riding

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Silverdale – Lancaster – Riding
  • jeffl

So heading away for a big family get together in a couple of weekends. Will be staying up at Silverdale, just north of Lancaster. Toying with the idea of taking the MTB but wondering if there’s any riding locally that would make it worthwhile. Looking for something that’s 2-3 hours duration.

crazy-legs

There are a few trails in various bits of woodland (with varying degrees of legality) nothing in the immediate locale that is worth taking the MTB for I’d say. However you are but a short train ride away from the South Lakes, can get the train from Silverdale or Arnside over the bay (very nice it is too!) to Grange-over-Sands and ride up through the lanes to Grizedale Forest.

Or a drive up the motorway and across. Train is much quicker but then there’s more riding to get to the proper MTB stuff.

The lanes around Silverdale are lovely on a road / gravel bike though if you have that option.

jeffl

Thanks Crazy Legs. Additional travel time may scupper me and cordial family realtions. So may look at dusting off the gravel/commuter bike.

lesgrandepotato

There are some nice enough trails in tbe cartmel valley. Grab the train to Cark and explore. It’s about a 10min train ride

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Train to shap and ride back

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Ah youd also need a time machine back to 1968 for that (and ride to carnforth)

tewit
    Free Member

Occasionally do a loop which takes in Warton crag, Arnside Knott and various other off road bits, but it it’s mostly road to link them up.
    I hear there are plans to build a cycle path alongside Arnside viaduct which should be great.

MrSparkle

Yeah, that’s been going on for some time now. I wouldn’t hold your breath…

Can second riding on Cartmel Fell. Also some reasonable (if possibly cheeky) gravel riding on Hampsfell and Whitbarrow.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Definitely not worth taking your MTB if you don’t have time to drive places. The roads are smashing though so I’d be taking your gravel bike instead. If you see a woman on a purple or green bike riding alone, wave because it’ll be me.

velocipede
    Free Member

We camped at Silverdale a couple of years ago and rode the off road Bay Cycleway route down through Lancaster to a cafe on the coast – not going to bust your lungs as it’s mainly flat, some canals, etc but it was a nice ride and a nice cafe – gravel bike would do the trick

https://www.arnsidesilverdaleaonb.org.uk/discover/things-to-see-do/cycling-routes/bay-cycle-way/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.