Home Forums Bike Forum Shimano Speed Laces

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shimano Speed Laces
  • binman

My Flat pedal Shimano GR 9 came with what shouldn’t  be termed ‘Speed Laces’. There was nothing wrong with the normal laces Shimano !

The speed laces have always been a bit rubbish compared to normal ones and have now frayed to the point they don’t tighten.

Should I replace them with more of the same or is there a better alternative ?

scotroutes

The laces on my GR9s have only recently become a bit useless – like the slider just doesn’t want to grip the lace anymore. I’ve used Salomon Speedlaces on a pair of Hoka trainers and they work well. The cheapo Amazon ones don’t seem to grip well either.

binman

Thanks, will measure up and try the Salomon ones. The Shimano ones never really gripped as well as I liked !

jonba
    Free Member

Googles says they look quite similar to the ones on my Terrex trainers but I can’t find spares for those simply. What about just using thin paracord, would that last better?

cookeaa

They’re just elasticated laces, you can find them elsewhere for running/tri shoes I think. I bought a few spare DHB pairs for pennies during the great chiggle stock purge.

scotroutes

They’re just elasticated laces,

They’re not elasticated.

TiRed

I use elasticated laces from Amazon on my giro shoes and they work a treat.

IMG_4451

cookeaa

They’re not elasticated.

The ones on my MW5 appear to be, and they called those ‘speed laces’.

binman

Definitely not elasticated, I suspect I have abused them by not using the slider property to loosen them.

Have ordered the Salomon ones.

Saccades
    Free Member

@jonba – contact Boa directly for free replacements. Generally just need a photo of the bust one for replacement.

My ancient specialized shoes got replacements last year (needed the left, got both).

franksinatra

Tired, we need a trigger warning when you are posting a picture of those pins.

TiRed

Hahaha. Replaced the white shoes now too. Sadly I don’t tan and factor 50 works well. My family are allergic to sun.

tall_martin

Why not just get some normal laces and use them?

Cheaper, easily available in the supermarket, lighter (that’s just a guess :)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.