Home Forums Chat Forum Shimano EP8 motor reliability

• This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by cokie.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Shimano EP8 motor reliability
  • theomen

So I got a Nukeproof Megawatt bike in March 2022 and the Shimano EP8 motor has been replaced twice since then, thankfully under warranty.  I’m told the latest issue was due to a faulty torque sensor.

Has anyone else had their EP8 motor replaced so much?  I’m worried that by March 2024 the motor will be out of warranty and then I am screwed if it goes wrong again.

julians
    Free Member

anecdotally they seem to be least reliable of the mainstream full power ebike motors. A friend has had 4 under warranty in about 1200 miles, others seem to last forever.

when it fails out of warranty you’ll probably have to pay for a new one, but at least then you’ll get a new 2 year warranty with the new motor….. not much consolation really.

SSS
    Free Member

Shimano seems to be very unreliable. However they all seem to have their faults.

Anecdotally too, when we took Mrs SSS previous Specialized Turbo Vado in for a firmware upgrade, it was around 18 months old. The advice we were given by the shop/mechanic was to sell the old one before the warranty expires, and buy a new one. This advice was given for any eBike, not just the Specialized one he was working on. (The mechanic owned a Giant which at the time had a failed motor and was back to manufacturer)
    That way you always have an eBike in warranty.

We took his advice, sold it and bought a new one.

oceanskipper

The advice we were given by the shop/mechanic was to sell the old one before the warranty expires, and buy a new one.

🙄 Useful advice from someone selling new bikes!!! 

cokie

Went to a local LBS who are also a Trek stockist.
    The owner said they stopped stocking Shimano motor bikes because of the unreliability.
    They only have Bosh bikes now and he reckons they only have an issue once a month, despite ebikes being their biggest seller. Early days he said Bosh had big issues (thought still less than Shimano) but now they are pretty reliable according to him..
    Big pinch of salt I guess as he want’s me to buy one of his Treks with a Bosh..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.