Home Forums Bike Forum Shimano cleats why do they ….

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Shimano cleats why do they ….
  • oldfart

Get harder to unclip the more worn they get ? Surely it should be the other way around?Dug out a pair of shoes that are years old but with plenty of life left in them jeez it’s scary trying to unclip from the damn things, looks like I might have to put new cleats on ?

simondbarnes

Because they need the metal there to disengage the spring.

scuttler

Unsure but maybe it requires a substantial and machined edge to trigger the release. Tips:

1. Dont buy ebay fakes (buy from a recognised bike / sports seller)

2. Clear out the hex heads before FULLY inserting your best quality (not ikea flat pack) hex. I use a 2mm drill bit or Dremel to drill the crap out dentist style.

Paul-B

Not sure I agree. I tend to replace mine when they start to randomly pop out of the pedal…usually when trying to jump or hop over something!

Maybe I’m leaving them too long?

nickc

Also depends on how much tension you got the pedal set at, if you wind off the tension at the pedal, worn cleats can release a bit easier.

oldfart

Yeah @nickc I recently changed the pedals , I always wind the tension right out until my feet nearly fall out then back in a couple clicks . I hate being so connected that I struggle to get out.

chrismac

use a 2mm drill bit or Dremel to drill the crap out dentist style.

Blimey you’re brave. I use a pick and some water  to soften the debris

oldfart

New ones fitted , that’s better, part of the secret to getting them off is copper grease on the threads when you fit new ones.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I think what happens is that you end up trying to unclip from the front of the cleat, rather than the rear.

In theory, when you swing your ankle out you pivot from the tip of the cleat and slide the back edge along the sprung part of the pedal mechanism.

I’ve noticed when it all gets a bit sloppy I end up pivoting on the back edge of the cleat and swinging my toes in to the crank in a way its not really designed to release from.

I agree with the weird feeling though.

Also – has the pedal clip plate worn a groove in the shoe midsole just behind the cleat? If so, and you have your weight on the pedal as you unclip, you end up trying to lift your bodyweight up too to slide the pedal out of the worn patch of midsole.

cchris2lou

How do ypu wear them out ? Mine last ages .

bens
    Free Member

Every pair I’ve ever worn out have released to easily rather than becoming more difficult. Even with the pedal tension cranked right up the last set popped out with minimal provocation. Usually when trying to lift the wheel or hop over something.

Top top…

When that happens and you but a new set of cleats, remember to loosen the pedals off before your first ride.

woody71
    Free Member

I also find that the after a couple of years my cleats wear the pedal where it contacts on the softer aluminium. This results in the cleat and shoe not rotating/floating as it should. Does this happen for anyone else?
    woody71

bitmuddytoday
    Free Member

I also find that the after a couple of years my cleats wear the pedal where it contacts on the softer aluminium. This results in the cleat and shoe not rotating/floating as it should. Does this happen for anyone else?

I didn’t think the cleat was in contact with aluminium?

I do find my shoe lugs wear away the aluminium sides and result in play/rocking of said shoe. This is annoying as I’ve never yet needed to service a Shimano pedal (always avoided XTR btw), because the body always wears out long before the bearings need any attention. The speed the body and cleats wore away when I used to singlespeed was quite alarming. No wonder my knees are much better with gears.

When cleats wear out I do find they sometimes catch while trying to unclip. But ultimately when really knackered they just pull straight up out of the pedal.

Yeah @nickc I recently changed the pedals , I always wind the tension right out until my feet nearly fall out then back in a couple clicks . I hate being so connected that I struggle to get out.

Have you considered trying Crank Bros?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Mine don’t. They get easier and eventually the pedal wears away as well.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They seem to get inconsistent for me?

They start off nice and positive and take a bit of a kick to get out but they release with a big CLICK. Then they get loose, but the release needs more force and gets less positive.

Could be worse, Shimano steel cleats last ages whereas the brass ones on time or CranBrothers last a winter (if the pedals lasted that long)!

singlespeedstu

Have you considered trying Crank Bros?

I think he just wants his shoe to detach from the pedal.

Not the pedal from the crank.

bobbyspangles
    Free Member

I was under the impression that it will be cockroaches and Shimano cleats that outlast humanity.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not the pedal from the crank.

To be fair, the axle is usually left behind.

singlespeedstu

the axle is usually left behind.

Not always in my experience.

Aidy
    Free Member

How do ypu wear them out ? Mine last ages .

I often wear shoes out before the cleats. Probably over 10k miles on the current road/gravel set.

jamj1974

New ones fitted , that’s better, part of the secret to getting them off is copper grease on the threads when you fit new ones.

That’s worked for me too – as has using Loctite thread lock.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.