Home Forums Bike Forum Secondary bike lock – Litelok Core Plus or Hiplok Chain?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Secondary bike lock – Litelok Core Plus or Hiplok Chain?
  • dmorts

I’m looking for a secondary bike lock. This lock would be used on its own with lesser value bikes and with an angle grinder resistant D lock for an e bike. (As a second lock through frame and wheels)

The candidates at the moment are the Hiplok Wearable Gold and the Litelok Core Plus. The latter is Sold Secure Diamond, the former is a lot cheaper but heavier and “less” secure with a Gold rating.
    The Litelok isn’t available* to buy at the moment, plus for £10 more I could get an X1 angle grinder D lock.

I wonder if the Hiplok is all I need

*no idea of when it might be available either

prettygreenparrot

I’ve got a substantial hiplok gold-rated chain and padlock lock that can be worn around your waist. Reflective cover on it too.

I’ve also got a litelok core plus from their kickstarter a while ago.

The Hiplok is flexible and longer. The litelok is easier to carry and lighter. But its springiness and curve make it a bit trickier to manoeuvre.

dmorts

Great to hear from someone who has both, thanks!

I’ve realised there could be a flaw with my thinking. If I’m using the lock to go through the frame and wheels then do I really want to be wearing it after?

dyna-ti

The angle grinder locks are a nice idea but for a fatal flaw. Unfortunately, the railing/pole/bike park you lock it to isnt angle grinder proof.

I think the best option for using the grinder proof lock is to lock through the back wheel to the frame, so they might get through the lock locking it to a railing, but they’re not going to be able to ride it away, and especially in the case of Ebikes, trying to manhandle a 50+lb bike down thew road is going to attract a lot of attention.

dmorts

The angle grinder locks are a nice idea but for a fatal flaw. Unfortunately, the railing/pole/bike park you lock it to isnt angle grinder proof.

Not sure about it being a flaw. It’s moved the weakest link elsewhere. This is exactly why I’m looking for a secondary lock, to go through the frame and rear wheel. After what you’ve highlighted and working through the possible scenarios it has to be another angle grinder proof lock.
    E.g. if they’ve got an angle grinder and they can cut whatever the bike is attached to, then they’re going to be able to make short work of a Hiplok Chain or a Litelok Core if that’s used on the frame

oldnpastit

Angle-grinder proof bike racks are a thing. E.g. run a chain through the inside of a Sheffield bike rack. Whether anyone does I don’t know.

dmorts

Angle-grinder proof bike racks are a thing. E.g. run a chain through the inside of a Sheffield bike rack. Whether anyone does I don’t know.

Didn’t get this at first, but I see now. They can’t remove the chunk that they cut out. What spurred me on for the second lock is a video I saw of someone cutting a Sheffield bike rack with a pipe cutter and lifting the bike off. No angle grinder required.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.