Home Forums Bike Forum santa cruz hightower lower headset bearing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • santa cruz hightower lower headset bearing
  • turbo1397
    Free Member

Hi folks. Having an issue with the above. I wanted to replace the bearings that were fitted on a used frame i purchased. Went onto ebay and got the below..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133252130348?hash=item1f0672262c:g:kc4AAOSwE4hd3QNv

Removed the lower bearing that was in the frame and it seems higher than the bearing that i received.. ( i would add a pic but not sure how too!)

BoardinBob

Been a while since I replaced my Hightower headset bearings but from memory there are 2 different bearing heights for the same type of bearing. You need the smaller one. It was a minefield trying to work out what I needed but ended up going with a Hope pick and mix

the00
    Free Member

From Santa Cruz bike archive:
    Hightower 1
    Headtube/Headset:
    Tapered – Integrated Headset. 1-1/8″ Upper bearing and 1.5″ Lower bearing. S.H.I.S. IS 41/28.6 IS 52/40

Hightower 2:
    Headtube/Headset:
    Tapered – Integrated Headset. 1-1/8″ Upper bearing and 1.5″ Lower bearing. S.H.I.S. IS 41/28.6 IS 52/40

The IS52/40 matches the ebay listing. It is possible that the seller sent you the wrong thing. How tall is the bearing?

I fitted a Hope J to my girlfiends bike this summer. It uses a crown race seal which the old one didn’t.

turbo1397
    Free Member

The one i took out was 8mm and the replacement was 6.5..the seller says the one i took out was the wrong one which would tie up with what boardinbob says, there’s also about a 2mm gap between the race and the bearing, is this normal?

turbo1397
    Free Member

lower bearing

turbo1397
    Free Member

lower

the00
    Free Member

That doesn’t look right I agree.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘santa cruz hightower lower headset bearing’ is closed to new replies.