Home Forums Bike Forum Ruthin MTB Marathon 15th September

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ruthin MTB Marathon 15th September
  • Speshpaul

Just under a month to the Ruthin Marathon.

Always a tough but fun selection of routes, free camping, what not to like?

Ruthin Hope MTB Marathon

twowheels
    Free Member

?

I am going (assuming weather is OK; these days I no longer enjoy getting drenched and plastered in mud!).

Might not camp as I live near Birmingham and can drive in the morning.

Looking forward to it. I think this is the only venue of the series I haven’t done yet.  It’ll be my first since Minehead 2018.

Vo2 max is in OK shape for the climbs and have started doing longer rides, albeit mostly on the road.

My main concern at the moment is tyres- I have some rather worn XR2 team issue on at the moment.

If anyone has a recent gpx I’d be interested to see.  I found one from 2014 but I guess route has changed since then.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Me and a mate are booked on. Can’t wait!

snotrag

I fancy this, I’ll not die on a hardtail will I? ( I assume its proper old fashioned XC, bridleway bashing, bit of tarmac etc, no tmiles and miles of gnarly singletrack, drops etc…)

bit of a trek from north yorkshire so a good first chance to drive over and ‘camp’ in my new van/bus too.

imnotamused
    Free Member

@snotrag Nope, hardtail arguably the perfect bike for it. I did it on an Orange Clockwork last year and have ridden hts, singlespeeds and full susses on it in the dim and distant past. All were good fun. Full suss this year, only because I bought one and want to use it!

We’re travelling down from Ilkley.

snotrag

Nice one, presumed as much. Thanks!

twowheels
    Free Member

I’ll be on 100mm HT.

@imnotamused
    do you mind sharing GPX from last year (if you logged it)?  TIA

Edit: found 2015 https://ridewithgps.com/trips/20167993 . I guess it’s similar enough..

twowheels
    Free Member

Just got an email to say it is cancelled.  Quite sad.  I’d been getting pretty fit on TrainerRoad.

Initially thought I’d misread it as being only the night marathon (which tbh I always considered a fad that would pass) but says both.  Same posted on Facebook.

Not the announcement we wanted to be making…

We would like to thank everyone for their support but unfortunately we don’t have enough entries to cover our costs. We were hoping that the good weather over the last couple of days might encourage a few last minute entries this week but it still hasn’t been enough. So, for 2024 we have had to make the difficult decision to cancel the Exposure lights Big Night Out and the Hope MTB Marathon in Ruthin.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Yep. Gutted. Loved those events. Got to email them for a refund now. Don’t know why they can’t just issue one or contact us

twowheels
    Free Member

Yeah their credit card payment provider should have the facility to simply reverse the transaction.  Presumably they hope some punters won’t follow up.  I wouldn’t feel blame them if that were the case as I assume they’ve already spent some cash on the event and are struggling to keep going.  I think Marathon champs in Kielder had the same problem (had to be rearranged with a new organiser).

I did email to request refund but wouldn’t like to force them into bankruptcy so I’m still pondering whether I’d accept a deferred entry for next year if they offered that.  I have an sad feeling this might be last year of mtb-marathon though!

imnotamused
    Free Member

Builth Wells earlier this year was way busier than Ruthin last year so hopefully we’ll at least get another Builth in

twowheels
    Free Member

Did anyone actually get a refund?  The 2 weeks they mentioned has passed and they haven’t replied to my enquiry (in particular no 2025 deferral offer)..

Speshpaul

Have you called them and had a chat. I sure they will sort you out

Speshpaul

01982 554682

gotbike
    Free Member

I got refunded a couple of days ago, emailed pretty much straight away when they sent out the cancellation email

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.